Return to “Games”

Re: X Rebirth

Simple yes or no, is this game finally worth the $40 asking price? If no, what do you think the asking price should be?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hi everyone,

X-Rebirth patch 4.00 is out now.
The Home of Light DLC is also out now.

Patch is free for all, of course. DLC is to be paid.
If you do not like DRM or Steam, head over on gog.com and purchase there (at 15 € as we speak).

At any rate, for those on the fence about this game, egosoft has released a DEMO, available on Steam (I do not know about gog). Go try it and see for yourself if it is a game you might like.
I have participated in the beta and know very well what is and is not in this new version. Lots of good things are, and many a long standing bug has been finally squashed.
So give egosoft the benefit of the doubt and try the game.

Have they ever done anything with the default binding for a gamepad? Seems like a lot of new functions that came out after initial release didn't use the gamepad, nor was it pre-configured. As one who doesn't normally like configuring or re-configuring keyboard, mouse, or gamepad bindings, did they ever re-vamp the default setting so it was at least usable?

wizaerd,
I am not sure I understand your question.

I own a gamepad, but I prefer keyboard & mouse. This is becasue I am a PC person.
Although I recognize the merits of gamepads, they are not my thing and I tend to do without when possible. But the gamepad is definitely mapped and the game UI is operable with it.

I find myself at home with the default keybindings. I changed 1 key, and I added 1 key that was not bind by default. The rest is "vanilla".
If you ask me, the default profile is fine for most people. There is nobody complaining about the controls over at the egosoft forums: that must mean something :-)
You can save/reload multiple profiles anyway.

fox, the default gamepad mappings were never updated when they started adding new features. For example, when they added targeting, there was no default gamepad binding for it. Another thing that was asked for constantly was additional gamepad bindings, such as Elite Dangerous has. XR only used the basic buttons, and no button combinations. If this is still the case, I'll not be playing it. If they have added default bindings for some of the more basic, and new functions, as well as button combinations, then perhaps I'll give it another try.

I purchased the EXCLUSIVE - X Rebirth Collector's Edition incl. The Teladi Outpost and Home of Light - Box - English/U. It just feels right to get the game in its much improved state. :)

I can now forget the disappointment of the original pre-order. Some would say sucker but hey why should I care. :D

I've stuck with this game over the years. I was a huge fan of Terran Conflict with over 900 hours played. I recently surpassed that in XRebirth with 998 hours played. I'd say 4.0 has finally made it stable and very playable. It's also much easier to get into than the earlier X titles. Had EGOSoft waited two years to polish it and release it in this state they would have greatly expanded their fanbase.

I recently started a new plot play through to see how well it does after the 4.0 patch. No crashes at all in the last 50 hours of play. The only annoying bug I still have is a graphical hud targeting bug.

Thanks for your post, Tylon. :thumbup: I like it when a member has something positive to say about a game. :angel:

I was told by certain other members that no one was playing or should be playing X-Rebirth. I was going to offer a key for the game as a prize in the LTFC but was told, by the same people, that no one would want it. That saddened me somewhat. :( I still believe the game is worthy of some attention and your post has proved that there are those who enjoy the game. :D

Online Now