Return to “Games”

X Rebirth

Hi all

just a quick rundown of all the new videos on X rebirth and to discuss the upcoming game from egosoft

Making of X Rebirth - Markus on Cluster design

Making of X Rebirth - Michael on AI Scripts

Helge über den ersten Roman zu X Rebirth (German / English subtitles)

Making of X Rebirth - Roger about the LOD system

Making of X Rebirth - Matthias on Pathing

Making of X Rebirth - Wie ein Raumschiff entsteht (German / English subtitles)

Making of X Rebirth - Plasmapumps concept to game

and josh i wanna know your thoughts on that last video.
Re: X rebirth

Whoa, thanks for these links! I had no idea there was so much video footage available already, although it seems to be mostly recent.

Definitely going to be a beautiful and impressive game, no doubt about that :thumbup:

Tough competition though...need to get my act together :geek:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Josh your game already is more advanced in the fact that it utilizes scalar fields and the fact that you're putting your heart and soul in the game is paramount.
don't worry there can never be too many space Sims because us space sim lovers love them all!

I'm following that one too - but since Egosoft are planning a Steam-only release and I distrust online DRM schemes in general, I might not buy Rebirth before it comes as a 75% off sale. That means probably after LT ;)

Comparing the games from the technical side, Rebirth is mostly developed in classical style, with crafted art assets and a plot with voice artists. Which comes at the expense of much more manpower needed, a dozen people or so have worked on it since 2010 or so. Overall I guess their budget in man-hours is at least ten times that of LT, and it will show in the graphics and the amount of storytelling in the game.
Edit: Josh's procedural nebulae look gorgeous though, so LT will have at least some equally good graphics stuff

I think LT might have its strengths in being a better sandbox game than Rebirth:
Between procedural generation of huge universes and the option to design your own ships, it might be preferable for explorers and crafting achievers :) .

Well, if they're planning on only doing a Steam-only release I'll have to hang back until they release a Steam-free version, like they usually do with all the previous X series. Plus it'll be cheaper then...and possibly will run better on my future machine. This was my defining space-sandbox game...until LT came along, that is. :lol:
In Josh we trust.
Re: X Rebirth

Steam only? I dont think so.

They would be out of their minds to not have a boxed edition.

No hate on steam though.

Plus i find it a bit of a unfriendly move to wait for it once its 75% off.
I mean c'mon! They've been working on the dam game since 2008!

lenny wrote:Steam only? I dont think so.

No hate on steam though.

If they have a boxed edition, it will have to be activate through Steam to use. Not sure if Bernd specifically said if there will be a boxed version, but I'm pretty sure there will be.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

lenny wrote:Steam only? I dont think so.

No hate on steam though.

Well, I don't really want to be unfriendly to Egosoft, but I dislike online DRM (for which Steam usually gets used) and want to discourage it.

So if there is a DRM-free version of Rebirth, I'm willing to buy it full price. Could even be on Steam, reportedly developers don't have to use the DRM functionality.

But if it comes with Steam-as-DRM, then yes, I'm gonna be unfriendly :twisted:

Rabiator wrote: Well, I don't really want to be unfriendly to Egosoft, but I dislike online DRM (for which Steam usually gets used) and want to discourage it.

So if there is a DRM-free version of Rebirth, I'm willing to buy it full price. Could even be on Steam, reportedly developers don't have to use the DRM functionality.

But if it comes with Steam-as-DRM, then yes, I'm gonna be unfriendly :twisted:
Egosoft has always released a non-steam exe a while after release. In his open letter to the community about Steam, Bernd repeated this fact.
Initially you'll have to activate through steam. When the patched exe is released (a year or so after launch?) you won't have to anymore.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:Egosoft has always released a non-steam exe a while after release. In his open letter to the community about Steam, Bernd repeated this fact.
Initially you'll have to activate through steam. When the patched exe is released (a year or so after launch?) you won't have to anymore.
I know they have a non-steam .exe for Albion Prelude. If they do this for Rebirth as well, it would be OK for me to get the game through Steam. As long I can make a backup of a working setup that does not need to phone home, it's fine by me.

But the non-steam .exe came several months after release (AP 2.0). Given how fast some games land in the 75% off sales bin, it might not be a question of "do I buy full price now that a non-steam .exe is available?" but "hey great, I can get a de-DRMed version now, and it is 75% off".

While Egosoft does not use the DRM features of Steam, during the first month even the slight inconvenience of registering the product through Steam is a workable way to keep piracy down.
You can keep Steam in offline mode at all other times and Egosoft games don't require a permanent connection after installation.

Eventually, there is going to be a non-Steam Exe so even registration is optional.
Expecting such a thing close to release is just naive. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:Expecting such a thing close to release is just naive. =)
I don't expect a non-Steam .exe close to release. A year after release sounds realistic. That's why I wrote a few posts ago that I might end up getting LT before Rebirth.

Online Now