Return to “Games”

Starflight 1 and 2

I've already mentioned this to Josh, but I wanted to throw it out there for the rest of the community as well: check out Starflight and its sequel, Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula. They were sandbox space games from the late 80s and early 90s that were extremely influential. They're still available at GOG for like 6 bucks: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/starflight_1_2

Those games left a lasting legacy-- just read the reviews in the above link and you can see how much they affected a whole group of gamers.

While the graphics and sound effects are primitive, those games did a lot of things right. Some of the things they did right are recurring themes here in the suggestions board: a reputation score (you could get so friendly with certain alien races that they'd offer you crewmembers, or get so hostile that they'd attack on sight for the rest of the game), seamless planetary landings (pick coordinates, and watch the topography rise up beneath you), trade routes between worlds (both in minerals, manufactured goods, and life-forms). Though not procedural, the gamespace was huge-- so large that you could never fly across the whole thing without several stops to purchase fuel. There were wormholes that connected various areas (not on the maps, btw-- you had to find them and add them to your hardcopy map yourself with a pen) that allowed for instant transit consuming no fuel at all. A dozen spacefaring races, each with goals and distinct personalities (my favorite was the one who would only talk to you if you assumed a hostile posture at all times, because politeness was weakness-- in fact, they would only open relations with you after you destroyed a few of their ships).

I'm not suggesting Josh try to make Starflight 3 or anything, but a whole lot of gamers out there have been waiting for the "spiritual successor" to those games for twenty years. When I stumbled on LT, I for one saw real potential for a space game that rekindled the feelings I got playing through SF and SF2 as a kid: boldly going, making my own way, having my decisions affect the sandbox universe.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention those games to everyone and maybe start a discussion among any of us who still remembered them about what elements made those games so exciting and influential.
Re: Starflight 1 and 2

I think you may find this interesting: https://sites.google.com/site/starflighttlc/home

"Starflight - The Lost Colony is a sci-fi adventure game for a single player with space exploration, character development, alien races to encounter, and an engrossing storyline that unfolds as the player gradually explores the galaxy. The Lost Colony is based on two previous games from Electronic Arts: Starflight (1986) and the sequel, Starflight II: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula (1988)."

I used to have Star Flight II and had a lot of fun playing it. I found this quite by accident. It is a modern version of the originals with graphics and game play that bring back the feel of the origials. It brought back a lot of fond memories.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Online Now