Return to “Games”

Baldur's Gate 1 enhanced edition release tomorrow

couldn't find a dedicated thread on this, but just a heads up, BG1 EE will be out tomorrow, not sure on the time mind, but if you buy it at any point now up to tomorrow, you can pre load the game, it's saying its 1.8gig (not sure if that is the final amount, but it includes the expansion too, but a lot more content has been added

but this doesn't include 2, that will be out sometime next year

I really can't wait for tomorrow, been so looking forward to this game,

PS, the game is only available from beamdog at the mo, the game can be installed using the beamdog installer or a standalone installer, but you don't need the client to be running, you can. but it will check for updates,

www.beamdog.com/

but I wouldn't visit the site yet, its keeled over, I think the influx of running feet of gamers have taken its toll, even redownloading the game was slow, (as I pre ordered it a while back)

but the pre download started a week ago,

but anyway, can't wait to see what has changed, they got a fair biit opof content added, going to be fun playing this awesome classic again, so heads up, its incoming tomorrow, as long as the servers don't keel over anymore they have already
Re: Baldur's Gate 1 enhanced edition release tomorrow

I think the most appealing part of this 'new' release is the fact that it will be playable on tablets.

I have played every installment of the Baldur's Gate saga more times than I care to admit. I have also tried innumerable mods that ranged from excellent to... well, let's just say uninspired.

Sad to say, after having done a bit of research on this new release of the original Baldur's Gate and it's official expansion (Tales of the Sword Coast), I found little reason to purchase it. The writing samples for the new NPCs were rather ho-hum and had the feel of middle-of-the-road fan fiction about them. By Beamdog's own admission, they could only marginally improve the graphics due to the Infinity Engine's limitations. There already existed a fan-created mod (BG Tutu) that allowed for the game to be played with the upgraded Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal user interface and revamped classes, spells, abilities and inventory system.

For someone who has never played the Baldur's Gate games, the new release may well be worth it. Personally, I could not justify the purchase. And I have to admit that after having played both installments of Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age: Origins, I found the graphical shortcomings of the Infinity Engine a bit difficult to ignore. Sure, the writing in the Baldur's Gate games is far superior to any of the subsequent fantasy titles I mentioned - though in my estimation, while it is a relatively short module, in terms of narrative quality and engaging characterization the Mask of the Betrayer expansion to NWN 2 is every bit as good as anything that BioWare has ever produced in the fantasy genre. But I digress.

Though I could not get excited about it myself, I do sincerely hope that you enjoy the enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Online Now