Return to “Games”

Freelancer

I've been out of the gaming community pretty much since I graduated college, just didn't have the time to keep of with it with a family on the way. I have fairly recently been able to start getting back into the swing of things and I must say I find it interesting to see so many people, including Josh, still referencing Freelancer as a template for space sims. It was released a decade ago and yet when people talk about space sims in general Freelancer always seems to find it's way into the conversation. Don't get me wrong, I love Freelancer, and when I did return to games over the past 6-7 years, Freelancer always ended back on my computer. It just amazes me that after all this time it's still one of the top space sims out there!

Anywho, just wanted to throw that out there... :P
Re: Freelancer

Ah, Freelancer.

I remember when they first previewed the mouse + keyboard control system. 'By Jove!' my companions and I cried 'We do believe that Digital Anvil hath consumed too much crack!'

Then we played the game and Digital Anvil were forgiven. Or rather we were forgiven for our insolence and lack of faith in Chris Roberts :twisted:

'Tis a very good game, played through the campaign and had a great time flying missions in a wing of 6 fighter craft in multiplayer. Hhhhmmm, where's my install disk.................. 8-)

Indeed, it's a testimony to the lack of love that has been given to this genre...the fact that it is still remembered so fondly and, for the most part, has not been replaced by anything equivalent.

Of course, I still believe the same is true of Morrowind...but maybe I'm just getting old :think:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

It became the best sim since the Tie Fighter/X-Wing series. I loved the world and dogfights. The play was pretty easy to understand and equipping your ship was great. The mere mention of a "diamond run" makes me clench my butt :lol: . I always felt the multiplayer was missing something though, and it is my one complaint about LT is that Josh has said it won't be multiplayer. But who knows, maybe we can talk him into it before it's all over :thumbup:
An eye for an eye and the world goes blind, but in the land of the blind the one eyed man is KING!

nickgreyden wrote:It became the best sim since the Tie Fighter/X-Wing series. I loved the world and dogfights. The play was pretty easy to understand and equipping your ship was great. The mere mention of a "diamond run" makes me clench my butt :lol: . I always felt the multiplayer was missing something though, and it is my one complaint about LT is that Josh has said it won't be multiplayer. But who knows, maybe we can talk him into it before it's all over :thumbup:
He'll just answer "LT2". ;-)
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Maybe Interplay should actually finish with some of the other IPs they have first. :roll:

*cough*Descent/Freespace*cough*
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Just_Ice_au wrote:
Katorone wrote:Seems Interplay has bought the IP for Freelancer 1 & 2 for ... 7500$.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06 ... eespace-ip
Actually that article was about Freespace, not Freelancer. :eh: :?:
Yep, Katorone made me do a double-take when I saw mention of Freelancer 2 IP. :roll:

But seriously...$7,500?? I feel like any hardcore fan would have paid that for the Freespace IP...what were they thinking?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

The thing is, Volition has even gone on record at some point saying they would love to make freespace 3 and finish the trilogy, but they couldn't do to the IP. I'm *really* surprised at this.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now