Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Discuss games not related to Limit Theory.

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Postby cuisinart8 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Flatfingers wrote:It might be pretty hard to play the original now, assuming you can find a copy.

I managed to get the original for not too much money when it was on sale at GOG, which has the first couple of games, IIRC.
cuisinart8
Commander

Postby Dinosawer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:30 pm

The first (and the second for that matter) is simply available on steam too, you know :ghost:
YAY PYTHON \o/ || Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || Proud leader of Squad 4 aka the Bonsai Squad
Dinosawer
Admiral

Postby Flatfingers » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:01 am

The LT community can always be counted on for fact-checking anything that's actually an existential fact. :clap:

The even better news is that now there's no business reason why Victor (and anyone else) can't enjoy this classic game!
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral

Postby Cornflakes_91 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:36 am

and an even more important point with DX1: dont try to play it right after playing HR. i couldnt stand it :ghost:
Cornflakes_91
Admiral

Postby Flatfingers » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:46 pm

Cornflakes_91 wrote:and an even more important point with DX1: dont try to play it right after playing HR. i couldnt stand it :ghost:

That's probably true for a lot of people. The graphics of DX will make your eyes bleed after the shinies of DX:HR.

For those who like story/lore and mechanics, though, there's still a lot of game left in the original.

[Edited for bleepin' autocorrect]
Last edited by Flatfingers on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral

Postby alpan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:17 am

If Victor, or anyone else, is interested in playing the original Deus Ex in 2016, and wouldn't mind an additional level of polish and refinement, there's a strong case to be made for waiting until December 2016 to do so, when the mod GMDX hits version 9.0 with a bunch of improvements. (You can of course download version 8.0 if you'd like. Check out this video series.) I have played the game both vanilla and with GMDX and can confirm that it is well-made and takes great care not to violate the original game's design intentions. It's probably the best way to experience the original game if you're worried about immersing yourself into the game as a newcomer.
alpan
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Flatfingers » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 pm

Update on Graphicsness.

Although the promise was that the real DX12 update would be provided "the week of Sept. 19," only the beta version is still available.

But since I was pulling down the latest patch anyway, I decided to try the DX12 beta. Bad idea. I started getting a lot of HANG errors, even after updating my card to the latest driver and setting all graphics options to the defaults. Oh, and subway travel once again started taking nearly a minute. (And I did check to make sure my system hadn't reverted to SLI mode. It hadn't.)

So back I went to non-DX12-beta version, and non-crashy performance has been restored.

I expect I'll try the actual DX12 version when it's finally released, but I'm not holding my breath that it will have corrected all the problems I experienced with the beta version.
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral

Postby Flatfingers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Strictly speaking, this note isn't about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but rather about the original Deus Ex.

That said, while I don't think celebrity counts for much, and would not mind seeing Y Combinator fall into the Pacific Ocean, Warren Spector has been geeking out about a recent interview with Elon Musk in which Musk praises the storytelling in Deus Ex.

Regardless, it's a positive reference to a great game, which I thought some folks here might find interesting.
Flatfingers
Vice Admiral

Postby DWMagus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am

Elon Musk has been surprising me a bit lately. Great read! :thumbup:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
DWMagus

Previous

Return to Games