Return to “Creative Writing”

Questions for writers

I'm writing a story that I'm thinking of posting, and, having never done this before. I was wondering if there are any tips that hopefully wiser beings could give to me on editing before submitting a story. I'm not sure if this should be a question in a different forum but this felt like the best to post it in. Sorry if it isn't.
"That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.”
– Sam
Re: Questions for writers

Don't commit to timelines for posting... they have a way of getting away from you :-)

Remember to spell check but Microsoft Word or Google are not the final masters of your document, you are. As Jawdan said, read it out loud and make sure it makes sense (also that your wrote what you meant to write). Have a rough and general outline written down so you don't write yourself in a corner. For most stories on forums and fanfics, this is good enough to get started.

Aside from that, you learn by doing. Put it up and see what happens. Ask for critiques. Just remember that once it is posted it isn't your story anymore, it is the reader's story. You are presenting a gift to the public and while you hold "cannon", your characters, your world, your creations, and your story are now in the minds of those who took the time to read what you have written and one of the best things you can hope for is thoughtful readers who take the time to say a few nice words and with whom your story will stick.
An eye for an eye and the world goes blind, but in the land of the blind the one eyed man is KING!

Cody wrote: By all means run it through a spellchecker... but never trust the damn thing.
Very true.
Spellcheckers can even do nasty stuff if you are not carefull.
I scanned an old book once to digitise it, it had this sentence in it:
"He raised his hands in despair".
My spellchecker/OCR software(1) made this into:
He raised his anus in despair".

Nearly missed that one on proofreading...

(1) OCR = Optical Character Recognition
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions.
Lao Tze

Rembrandt wrote:
Cody wrote: By all means run it through a spellchecker... but never trust the damn thing.
Very true.
Spellcheckers can even do nasty stuff if you are not carefull.
I scanned an old book once to digitise it, it had this sentence in it:
"He raised his hands in despair".
My spellchecker/OCR software(1) made this into:
He raised his anus in despair".

Nearly missed that one on proofreading...

(1) OCR = Optical Character Recognition

If ever I have to raise my anus, it will undoubtedly be in despair..
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

Online Now