Return to “Creative Writing”

Lonely

(Hello again. I've decided to take a break from the other story and create this, so please rate and comment! I absolutely adore all support given to me!)

Well, lonely and bored.
Space. It's so... Spacious.
Why am I sitting around, contemplating the true meaning behind space?
Good question!
I've got nothing to do!

I'm Kai Saito. I'm a trader in the ruins of the... Well, names of old districts aren't important anymore. I call it home. Debris filled and highly explosive. In some places. It's a nice treat when two engines bump into each other and explode. I trade what little there is left in this place for fuel or grub. It's now come to my attention that I am alone, although this has been the case for quite a while.

A sensor beeped quietly in distance and I tapped at my console. It seemed another bit of cargo was floating away from the slow current of junk. I sighed and walked off to put on my suit. When everything was secured I opened the airlock. I walked out into the spacious space and slowly made my way to the cargo. The good part about being here was the easy way to get to areas. I simply jumped from one bit of junk to the next. There it was, drifting oh so slowly to the great unknown. I pulled out my cable launcher and took aim. I pulled the trigger and with a satisfying *click*, the cable connected. I pulled it back in and opened it up. A couple of old laser assault rifles floated out. Nothing important. I grabbed two and made my way back.

I opened the cooler and pulled out a bottle of Quantum, a soda that was gaining popularity with all the young kids. Then again, I'm still young. If 23 is young. I popped off the cap and gave a tentative sip. The only problem with this drink was the tingle you'd get from the first sip. Had to do with the tiny amount radiation used to make it. To think that parents would allow their kids to drink something like this. I opened my laptop and punched in my password. I clicked on the internet browser and had the usual adds for the coolest new game or console appear. I sighed and went onto my usual forum to check how things were with the rest of the galaxy. Turns out I'd gotten a message from a forum browser by the name of Mikey. I was surprised to see what it said. I'd posted a reply a couple days ago on a specific question about how things are going in my life, and turns out someone replied back to me.

Mikey: "Yeah, space is just a floating wasteland. Wish I had someone with me on my cruiser, even though it's only made for one person. Say, you're in the big circle of scrap and junk, right? I'm close to there."

I sat upright and replied back.

Kai: "Really? That's cool! If you're able, do you mind dropping by?"

I opened another tab, thinking it'd take a while for him to respond, but suddenly, "You have received a new reply."

I looked back and sure enough, he replied back.

Mikey: "Not at all! Last time I saw someone face to face was months ago! I'm on my way!"

I jumped up at the words 'I'm on my way.' That meant he was coming. I panicked and looked around. I grabbed another Quantum and tried to freshen up the place.

Maybe space isn't so lonely after all.
I view the internet as a fire, and I am the tender of this fire. There are many like me, and we all have the same cause. To feed this everlasting fire.
Re: Lonely

Neat concept, I like the idea of tending an abandoned field of debris, kinda an interesting place to call home :D

Also, I always enjoy "lonely" portrayals of space, so nice choice there...interested to see how Saito's play date goes :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now