The C.E.O.'s testament

The C.E.O. was dying.
The nurse adjusted the oxygen flow and injected a light stimulant.
“Enough! Leave us” the old man rattled and the nurse folded in on itself and sank into the wall.
Through a small window the planet Nightwatch rolled slowly past as the space station rotated.
“I have called the three of you to here to execute my last wish. I have amassed great wealth in my time and I have plenty of relatives who will only be too glad to spend it on a lavish lifestyle.”
The old man had to cough and the three men beside his bed, Gelven the priest, doctor Philimon Knetterton and Joshua Pittbull, the lawyer, looked at him in some concern.
“You really should...” Knetterton started.
“Oh shut up. I don't have much time and I need you to listen” The C.E.O. wheezed.
“I am not going to leave my money to those vultures, none of it! Therefore I have liquidated all my assets and divided it over three suitcases.”
The old man waved vaguely with his hand and the three men looked at the three suitcases in the corner of the room.
“Each suitcase represents one third of my capital, twelve million credits each. Now listen carefully.”
A red light began flashing behind the bed and the nurse unfolded itself.
“Not now! Go away!”
Reluctantly the nurse stopped but didn't leave.
“I want each of you to take one suitcase and promise me, no..swear to me that you will put that suitcase in my coffin just before they launch my corps towards the sun.”
The three men were stunned by this request.
“You see” the C.E.O. whispered “you three are the only ones I trust.”
“Flattered I am sure, but wh...” Gelven the priest started.
Again the C.E.O. interrupted “The only ones I trust to keep an eye on each other to do as I wish.”
Two more red lights came on and the nurse came back to life.

The bar was almost empty.
Three men were sitting at a table, staring at nothing and slowly taking sips from their drinks.
“Nice service you held for him, Gelven” Joshua the lawyer said.
“Yeah, well...”. Gelven the priest stared at his drink.
“He really was an obnoxious, miserly and rude little man” doc Knetterton said.
“Indeed” Joshua answered. “Typical for the man to deny his family his fortune.”
“Speaking of which” Elven said “I have a confession to make.”
The doctor and the lawyer looked at him.
“I erm.. I didn't leave all the money in that suitcase. I am not proud of it but the orphanage needed... and the convent of our sisters...” he raised his hands in an apologetic manner “So I took out 5 million and made a donation.”
Knetterton and Pittbull looked at each other.
“Ah, right.”Doc Knetterton said slowly. “As a matter of fact, I did sort of the same.”
Knetterton took a large gulp of his drink.
“I took eight million and donated it to the hospital on Nightwatch. Now they can finally build that new wing.”
Gelven the priest and doctor Knetterton looked at Joshua Pittbull who leaned back in his chair, mock horror on his face.
“Gentlemen, I am aghast. Aghast!!. Two outstanding gentlemen like you stooping to thievery. It is unheard of.”
Then a slow smile spread across his face.
“Am I the only honest person on this table? Here look!”
He drew his checkbook from his pocket and showed it to the other two.
One check was missing.
“See? I wrote him out a check for the full twelve million and put it in his coffin.”
All three were silent for a moment.
Then, they slowly raised their glasses in unison and drank
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions.
Lao Tze

Online Now