Return to “Creative Writing”

A break from research.

(This is the second chapter/episode thingy in my series. Dunno how long I'll make the series, but as always, please review my work and give me tips! ;D )

"I need a break."

I slammed my fist into my desk, the signal for my drone to pour me more coffee. After the incident with the pod, I had decided to do a little research on my new enemy, the Arcadians. So naturally, I hacked into their systems and looked up what I could on their history. So far, I could tell that these guys were tough. The faction had been small at first, so no one bothered them very much. When a pirate happened to notice their base by accident, he attempted to seize control of the base. Suddenly, the pirate was massacred by a wave of cannon fire. It turns out that the base was small in size, but large in connections. They had alliances with many different factions, most thinking that they would just get an extra ship or two to help them with their missions. With cunning points here and there, they were able to reach high places in large factions.

Sighing, I looked around for more info, only to be locked out. I knew what that meant. Sure enough, the alarms blared. A ship warped in next to me. It wasn't a scout.

"This is Arcadian Warship Lambda. We have traced your hacking back to your ship and are permitted to terminate you."

I froze up. I couldn't even look at the ship. There was silence for a moment until the captain came on screen.

"Please, do not bot-... Wait... You're the one who's been killing our scouts!"

I looked up at him, smiling.

"Took you that long to figure out?"

His face turned red.

"QUIET! I SHALL NOT BE MOCKED BY AN INSOLENT FOOL LIKE YOU! PREPARE TO BE BOARDED!"

And with that, the video link cut out, and a ship flew off from the docking bay of their ship.

Luckily, the last scout I had fought happened to have some experimental tech on it, something called a 'Cloaking Emergency Device.' I smiled and spun around in my chair.

"You want a fight? Let's have one." I hit the airlock button and then locked the door in my cockpit and the door for the loading bay. Soon enough my whole ship, except for the cockpit and bay, was emptied of oxygen. I then suited up, putting on my space gear. I grabbed my chain sword as well. Now, most would have a plasma shotgun or laser rifle, but I used the tactic of sneaking up on my targets, not putting on a light show. I looked at the docking bay. The boarding party were armed well, laser rifles and a couple of ion handguns. One of them had a plasma cannon on his shoulder. They weren't wearing helmets. One of them walked up to the door and unlocked it. Their screams were hushed by the sudden emptiness of oxygen. Two had been on their toes and had leaped back into their ship. I decided that now was the time. I turned on communication with the rest of the ship and looked through my selection of tapes. I found one to my liking and put it into my tape player. Loud music filled the ship. I walked out to greet the survivors.

As I walked to the bay I saw the cloaking system. I turned it on and watched as the lights flickered for a moment. As I neared the bay doors, I could hear them yelling over the music.

"WE NEED TO LEAVE! WE CAN'T TAKE ON THIS GUY!"

"THE HELL ARE YOU SAYING? THERE'S TWO OF US AND ONE OF HIM!"

"YEAH, BUT WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE HE HAS ON THIS SHIP! WE COULD DIE LIKE THE OTHERS!"

"YOU'RE KIDDING! HE'S JUST A WUSS THAT HIDES IN HIS COCKPIT! NOW LET'S GO BEAT HIS-..."

At that moment I walked up behind one of them and promptly shoved my sword into his suit. Having both your blood and oxygen sucked out of you at once must be painful, because he was able to scream for a whole five seconds before dying. His face even froze that way. The other screamed as well, but his face didn't freeze. He seemed to forget that he had a rifle as well. So, instead of attacking the other, I made one of my drones take him to the brig. I went back to my seat in the cockpit to find the warship gone. It seems that when I turned on the cloaking system, they had though I warped away. I simply shrugged and turned back to researching.

I tapped my finger on the desk, and my drone zoomed off to make my favorite, a vanilla latte with honey.

I took a sip and hacked back into their files.

- End -
I view the internet as a fire, and I am the tender of this fire. There are many like me, and we all have the same cause. To feed this everlasting fire.

Online Now