Return to “Creative Writing”

Re: Comments on "Small Choices - an EVE-Chronicle-esque"

The four rounded things were meant to be almost spheres or ovoids, maybe hamburger like structures. I thought that all four could be interconnected (in pairs and crossed) and form one structure. The ship would be in fact two separated structures. One ship from cockpit through engines with the cross section in the middle, and the module section. The spheres/ovoids/hamburger were meant to be a mobile infraestructure to support planetside operations. In your case, those would be mobile quarters for infantry. In each S/O/H I imagine cells arranged in star form, maybe a main level with 4 or 5 plus one above and one below. So these modules were refurbished by Hraden and in the cross section of the main ship he installed all the necessary equipment to complete his mining ship. If I find the time I could try to draw a better sketch of each part to better understanding :D
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Victor Tombs wrote:I'd like to think the message the film delivers can be applied to all the people who visit here. Whether you have a dream which needs support or you are one of those true crowdfunding types who get a kick out of supporting those with the dream. :D
I absolutely loved that short film. It actually brought a tear to my eyes at the end. I'm likely to share it with someone else, but I'll be sure to credit you for bringing it to my attention.

And of course, I loved both comics, Dinosawer and Scytale. lol Very highly amusing. :P

And to Lum:
Lum wrote:The four rounded things were meant to be almost spheres or ovoids, maybe hamburger like structures. I thought that all four could be interconnected (in pairs and crossed) and form one structure. The ship would be in fact two separated structures. One ship from cockpit through engines with the cross section in the middle, and the module section. The spheres/ovoids/hamburger were meant to be a mobile infraestructure to support planetside operations. In your case, those would be mobile quarters for infantry. In each S/O/H I imagine cells arranged in star form, maybe a main level with 4 or 5 plus one above and one below. So these modules were refurbished by Hraden and in the cross section of the main ship he installed all the necessary equipment to complete his mining ship. If I find the time I could try to draw a better sketch of each part to better understanding :D
I misunderstood the scale of your ship, I think. Mobile quarters for infantry? Sofie's cockpit only seats two people, and closely enough together for them to hold hands... I'm not sure how you could fit "infantry" in there anywhere, even though I dearly love the design of your ship. It has a certain robustness to it... If you got me a better drawing, I'd be sure to redo the model, for your amusement. It only took thirty minutes anyway, being little more than a rough approximation with few details. (and no inside, admittedly). It still would've fit two people in the cockpit, though. I'll make another pic for comparison.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I'm still working on it. :P It's hard to explain without giving too much away, but there are actually three "strands" of this story that I have to write at the same time - one is backstory, one is the primary story, and the third is... well. I can't exactly give that one away without spoiling anything, suffice it to say that the plot is still a lot more complex than yet meets the eye, somewhat like an iceberg where you only see 10% of its mass. I actually have quite a few secrets left to spill... and the story itself looks like it may end on a semi-cliffhanger note, leaving you (hopefully) satisfied with the story, but wondering what happens next... which inadvertently leaves it open for a sequel. When this is done, I'll have enough material for at least two short novels, I think (excluding potential sequels)... and I know from experience that I always wind up with more than I expect. :P

I'm actually working on it today... backstory again, sort of. The story of Hraden's ship, specifically... it has a long and detailed history I want to have completely down to keep from contradicting myself - a history that will become apparent in the next four chapters of the main storyline. It should hopefully come as a huge shocker when you guys read it, if I do it right...

And that's another reason why I've been procrastinating a bit... I'm worried about how you guys will receive these next chapters. For one thing, they're all more or less action, with a great deal of drama and suspense - I feel it's difficult for me to get those down appropriately. I want to do right by you guys, and it's making me a little nervous about finishing it up. I could still conceivably get it out to you guys tomorrow, but I worry I'll miss something. So, yes, it comes down to me still being worried about my writing quality, despite having won first place in one of the LTFCs. :roll: I'm working on it, though... it'll happen. I think it's even more important that it happens now, to give people something to talk about besides the Joshite/Abandonite stuff. :lol:

The ACT hasn't happened yet; I'm still studying for it. I'm kind of concerned about whether or not I'll be able to find a way to take it at all, really... it depends on a few uncertain factors, but I'm hopeful. I wish they gave the tests more than twice a year, but such is life.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: I'm actually working on it today... backstory again, sort of. The story of Hraden's ship, specifically... it has a long and detailed history I want to have completely down to keep from contradicting myself - a history that will become apparent in the next four chapters of the main storyline. It should hopefully come as a huge shocker when you guys read it, if I do it right...
Cool! Backstories are almost more important than the main events. Looking forward to the next installment(s).
We noticed that this thread got a little side-tracked into a conversation about eating spaghetti with a spoon. We do enjoy our fair share of italian food, but please remember to keep discussion on-topic when posting on the forums.

I haven't forgotten your fictional masterpiece, Nathan, I am somewhat distracted at the moment but I'm sending you some good vibes to aid you in your challenging endeavours. :thumbup: :angel:

I'm a "boxset" man at heart, my friend, I prefer to see the whole rather than installments. It goes back to my youth and the frustration of having to wait from Saturday to Saturday for the next exciting episode of "King of the Rocket Men". ;) :angel:

CSE wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:I think we should ask RPS to sent Tal a mail to ask wether he's still working on Small Choices :mrgreen:
I would have +1-ing that if we had not get a quick answer.

I look forward as well, Tal! See that as a beta tests - if there is feedback, you can always rewrite a bit before selling us the hardcover :thumbup:
Yes, this is true. :P I still don't think you guys deserve anything less than the very best I can give, though. I'm currently working on revising an actual chapter - I have two stored up (unrevised), and then this one... I want to release them semi-rapidfire because they have so much action packed so closely together.

Lol, you know I'm not like that. :P The action scenes are long, yes, but I'm mixing it with character development and interactions between the characters to develop the plot and their personality, so it's not like it's all action. To give an example: Let's say I have a story where a young private and his squad are breaching an enemy base near the end of the story - the final battle, so to speak. If I wanted to talk about that, it would take more than one chapter - I'd have to stretch it out over a few, simply because there would be so much involved.

Besides, I'd never let JJ Abrams touch it for an instant, after how he butchered Lord of the Rings Star Trek. :lol:

On an unrelated note, I had a bit of a medical scare last night, but I'm okay now... just tired and very shaken up.
Last edited by Talvieno on Wed May 13, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Online Now