Return to “Creative Writing”

Limits

He had no name. No one had anymore. He was referred to by the feeling his mind had. He guessed he had not been referred to in a long time. And he was flying, drifting on a vessel through interstellar space.

He was an individualist, not tempted by the safety of the hives. Many were. He was not like them either. He was the last of his kind.

He was the last limit theorist.

The hives had assimilated all the others. They had dishonored the name. They might have believed, but a life limited to a single place and form, accepting the limits is not a life suitable for a limit theorist. The brotherhood had no limits, but limiting yourself was the worst crime of all. They had dishonored the name, they had been lost.

He was on a journey to find new theorists from the star systems not touched by the corrupting force of the hives. He had all the time until the end of the universe and beyond. He was going to find the worthy heirs for the name of the brotherhood, and everything he carried with him. He was not afraid of death. Death was just another limitation that was removable, like every limit.

"Only limits are those you set yourself."
He remembered that line, grabbing onto it in the darkest moments. It was burned on his architecture, unable to be forgotten. It gave him hope. The motto of the brotherhood. The thought that started it all. The thought that allowed the whole species expand to the galaxy. The thought that was slowly lost to the general public. The thought he was ready to protect with any means.

The vessel was a kilometer long, moving at 0,5 c, its singularity engine cooling down. Its surface was made out of mirrors, making it appear black. Only on one of the mirrors there was the motto carved as nodes, revealing the silvery surface below the mirrors.

He was constantly debating with the others who were also him. Infinent amount of them. Breaking the limitations of existance. He was not limited to one kind of personality, not one kind of thinking, not even a one kind of computer system. Only thing everyone of him shared was the motto.

He reached the next system, burned retrograde, feeding a microsingularity with matter he had collected from the previous system's star. The singularity vaporised the matter to radiation, which slammed to the parabolic reflective nozzle, causing acceleration stronger than anything seen before. He scanned the system, and found a planet glowing on the night side, radiating long light everywhere, quickly flickering to imply communication. He started sending steady, pulsating signal on the frequencies they seemed to use, and manouvered on orbit. They would become the heirs of the brotherhood. He looked at the planet's two moons, feeling great calmness that his mission was finally accomplished.
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.
Re: Limits

This story is very good. I hope you continue.
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!
Re: Limits

Idunno wrote:This story is very good. I hope you continue.
This story is over. I however will post a new one now and then. :) If that's what you meant.

EDIT: I just found this post. :shock:
In space, no one will hear you scream. #262626
I've never played a space sim. Ever.
Vos estis tan limes.

Online Now