Return to “Creative Writing”

Intensity

We are burning. We have been for some time now, in fact, but it has gotten much worse recently. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. Those who can afford it are leaving. Many can. More cannot.

No one thought of this, which really is surprising when you think about it. How had it not occurred to someone? Yes, it is called the "Law of Unintended Consequences" for a reason, but... it is almost fundamental, in a way. Maybe that is why? It was too basic? Too small an oversight for great minds to catch? Perhaps the mental acuity of our engineers was similar to that bit of Gulliver's travels. The giants people seemed so hideous to Gulliver, but their own eyes were not adjusted to perceive themselves in the level of detail that he did.

I still... it is so basic. We should have seen this coming. The ENTIRE POINT of a Dyson sphere is to make use of all of the star's energy! I suppose we have not done that though. Not really. The sphere is not paneled, at least not entirely. But neither does a dam use all of the water to power the turbines. Or does it? But a dam has overspill. A Dyson Sphere does not. Ours does not anyway.

Maybe the others will learn. I hear G-L519-c is building their own sphere now. I hope they get the memo.

The conspiracy theorists were almost right actually. The intent, well that is dubious, but the effect... just what they said. People started to worry when we could see it from the inner planets. Then it started getting brighter.

The Metropolitan Museum of Archim supposedly hired five shuttles just to ship their collection out of system. Art and bright lights do not mix. Damages the paint, at least the older paints, the non-digital kinds. So I suppose the art had to go. The light is not going anywhere, that much is for sure.
They shall call me, Draglide! The thread killer!

Online Now