Return to “Creative Writing”

Re: Short (Short!) Fiction Contest

Well, it looks like Hyperion is our winner of competition seven. Congratulations on your handling of (apparently) a difficult and thought-provoking topic. :thumbup: :clap: :lol:

In honour of Josh's work on implementing colonies into LT this month, I thought we could do a little speculating on how colonies in space might work in the future, so the next competition is already up!
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

outlander4 wrote:Just_Ice, there's a copy-paste artefact in you 8th contest post (it says 'welcome to the seventh contest'). Not that it's important in any way, shape or form :D

The new topic promises a lot of entries! I can't wait to read them all!
Nice Catch!

I mean, uh, I was just testing you... yeah ... :shifty: :shh: :oops:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

The happiest among you mutinied and turned against your own friends that wanted to go home. A number of your minds died - disappeared from existence.
I don't quite get this part...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
The happiest among you mutinied and turned against your own friends that wanted to go home. A number of your minds died - disappeared from existence.
ehhhh, I'm not a very good writer, admittedly. especially in small spaces. :oops: I'll try to fix it. I was basically trying to illustrate that the being could only sense live, thinking minds. Hinting that it was telepathic. I guess I failed at that.

edit: and that the creature couldn't reliably alter all minds to the same extent, making some colonists happier than others. the ones that wanted to stay turned against those that wanted to force them to leave, and mutinied, basically - part of the crew turning on the captain, etc. And there was bloodshed, but of course an organism composed of single cells couldn't understand that kind of concept, and there was no real time to expand and explain it learning.
Last edited by Talvieno on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Hyperion wrote:
ehhhh, I'm not a very good writer, admittedly. I'll try to fix it. I was basically trying to illustrate that the being could only sense live, thinking minds. Hinting that it was telepathic. I guess I failed at that.
No, I got that, but don't know why the happiest would have mutinied and killed those who wanted to leave.

The whole thing reminds me of Heinlein, which is needless to say a compliment
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

No, I got that, but don't know why the happiest would have mutinied and killed those who wanted to leave.
Oh, simple. There have been plenty of murders over drug addictions, and our bacterial consciousness was trying to get them to stay. Some of them wanted to, and were happy. Not just happy happy, but addiction happy - like the chemicals in their brain had been artificially altered/tampered with. Then the captain, a grump that isn't affected, says it's time to turn home. Naturally, those addicted, provided it was strong enough, well... you get the idea, I hope. :?
The whole thing reminds me of Heinlein, which is needless to say a compliment
:P Thanks, I think... I'll have to look that up. I'm not good with names... it sounds very familiar, though.

edit: :shock: whoa, him? Thanks... :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now