Return to “Creative Writing”

Re: Short (Short!) Fiction Contest

Yes, I thought I'd let it run until 11:59pm on Monday, which admittedly is still a couple hours ago now for the Americans among us (sorry, I did get busy and lose track of the time :( ).

Considering our global readership, though, I might use GMT going forward.

:thumbup:

Great pieces everyone. I'm going to add the poll for voting in the submissions thread shortly.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

unilozadanje wrote:This is English speaking forum...
If you're going to rules-lawyer, have a peek at the rules first.

While the discourse that takes place in this forum is generally in English, there's nothing against the rules about people conversing in other languages. The rules prohibit misconduct regardless of language. It is generally nice when people stick to the lingua franca of the forums, yes, but as long as it's on-topic then it's not technically bad.

Either way, it's worth noting that a thread restricted to the use of a language other than English would have a very small number of posts, since I'm fairly certain that the majority here are anglophones. But I doubt anyone would be posting on these forums if they didn't know English, otherwise it'd probably be difficult to know what the posts are saying. And I think it's much more helpful for communication if you ask someone to repeat what they typed in English if they typed in some other language, rather than to trail off with "This is English speaking forum...".

Please be respectful to users of languages other than your own, or to people who have difficulty with a particular language.

Anyway, Lum is a noted polyglot amongst us. He's well aware that the forums are generally in English.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Lum wrote:And for 1 simple post in another language you feel the unavoidable need to say it... :roll:
Yes :)
Grumblesaur wrote:
unilozadanje wrote:This is English speaking forum...
If you're going to rules-lawyer, have a peek at the rules first.

While the discourse that takes place in this forum is generally in English, there's nothing against the rules about people conversing in other languages. The rules prohibit misconduct regardless of language. It is generally nice when people stick to the lingua franca of the forums, yes, but as long as it's on-topic then it's not technically bad.

Either way, it's worth noting that a thread restricted to the use of a language other than English would have a very small number of posts, since I'm fairly certain that the majority here are anglophones. But I doubt anyone would be posting on these forums if they didn't know English, otherwise it'd probably be difficult to know what the posts are saying. And I think it's much more helpful for communication if you ask someone to repeat what they typed in English if they typed in some other language, rather than to trail off with "This is English speaking forum...".

Please be respectful to users of languages other than your own, or to people who have difficulty with a particular language.

Anyway, Lum is a noted polyglot amongst us. He's well aware that the forums are generally in English.
Well first you are now disrespectful to me when refering as lawyer sarcastically. Second I wasn't disrespectful to Lum, and I wasn't going to rules, if I was I would mention it. And if you think it is disrespectful from me to say him that this is English speaking forum, then it is also disrespectful from him when he is talking other language then English, because we all else here need to understand what is people talking, it can be swearing or whatsoever. (I am just saying, didn't even think of that)
You can imagine it as for example us 5 people talking in one room, and 2 od them started talking in foreign language, it can be understanded as that 2 people hiding something from other 3.
And he can be polyglot, I don't have problem with that, good for him. It does not mean he should use them here. Once again, we all people, from all over the world who are on this forum, should speak on English, so we can understand each other.
"My biggest mistake is probably weighing too much on someone's talent and not someone's personality." - Elon Musk

Online Now