Return to “Creative Writing”

They called them Limit Runner units...

ThymineC: Okay if I talk?

Just_Ice_au doesn't answer. He's centering ThymineC's eye on the machine.

ThymineC: I kinda get nervous when I take tests.

Just_Ice_au: Don't move.

ThymineC: Sorry.

He tries not to move, but finally his lips can't help a sheepish smile.

ThymineC: I already had a personality test this week... but I don't think I ever had a...

Just_Ice_au: Reaction time is a factor in this, so please pay attention. Answer as quickly as you can.

ThymineC: Uh... sure...

Just_Ice_au: Forums dot LTheory dot com...

ThymineC: Oh... that's the forums.

Just_Ice_au: What?

ThymineC: Where I hang out.

Just_Ice_au: Nice place?

ThymineC: Huh? Sure. Yeah. I guess. Is that...part of the test?

Just_Ice_au smiles a patronizing smile.

Just_Ice_au: Warming you up, that's all.

ThymineC: Oh. it's not fancy or anything. Nice people...

Just_Ice_au: You're in a spaceship, flying along in space when...

ThymineC: Is this the test now?

Just_Ice_au: Yes. You're in a spaceship, flying along in space when all of a sudden your sensors detect a...

ThymineC: What sort of engine does it have?

It was a timid interruption, hardly audible.

Just_Ice_au: What?

ThymineC: The spaceship, what sort of engine does it use? Is it thruster-based, or does it use some sort of teleportation mechanic to propel itself through space?

Just_Ice_au: Doesn't make any difference what sort of... its completely hypothetical!

ThymineC: Oh. Only, I'm developing a theory on how you could exploit the Heisenberg uncertainty principle to create a starship drive that can achieve the appearance of superluminal velocities without actually violating the model of Newtonian physics.

Just_Ice_au: Look, maybe it uses hyperspace, maybe it uses an inertial compensator...who knows? So your sensors detect a Positronium Minefield. You're headed towards it...

ThymineC: A Positronium Minefield. What's that?

Just_Ice_au: Know what a minefield is?

ThymineC: Of course.

Just_Ice_au: Same thing.

ThymineC: I never seen a minefield.

He sees Just_Ice_au's patience is wearing thin.

ThymineC: But I understand what you mean.

Just_Ice_au: You quickly detect the caretaker entity and easily destroy it using a long-range railgun, ThymineC.

Keeping an eye on his subject, Just_Ice_au notes the dials in the Voight-CAPTCHA machine. One of the needles quivers slightly.

ThymineC: You make up these questions, Mr. Just_Ice_au, or do they write 'em down for you?

Disregarding the question, Just_Ice_au continues, picking up the pace.

Just_Ice_au: The caretaker lays dead in space, its thousand child mines dormant, yearning to perform their area-denial duties. But they can't. Not without significant repairs. The concept is flawed.

ThymineC's upper lip is quivering.

ThymineC: Whatya means, the concept is flawed?

Just_Ice_au: I mean the concept is flawed! Why is that, ThymineC?

Just_Ice_au looks hard at ThymineC, a hard piercing look. ThymineC is flushed with anger, breathing hard, it's a bad moment, he might erupt. Suddenly Just_Ice_au grins disarmingly.

Just_Ice_au: They're just questions, ThymineC. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test designed to decide if you're a forum bot. You've been making a suspiciously large number of highly-technical posts, and frankly, the moderators are wondering if you're an AI.

ThymineC is glaring now, the blush subsides, his anger slightly diffused. Just_Ice_au smiles cheerfully, very smooth.

Just_Ice_au: Shall we continue?

ThymineC nods, still frowning, suspiciously.

Just_Ice_au: Describe in single words. Only the good things that come to your mind. About zero-point energy production.

ThymineC: Energy production... I'll tell you about energy production!

Unable to handle the strain of questioning, ThymineC reveals himself as a forum bot when he shoots Just_Ice_au.

Based on this scene from Blade Runner:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Leon: Okay if I talk?

Holden doesn't answer. He's centering Leon's eye on the machine.

Leon: I kinda get nervous when I take tests.

Holden: Don't move.

Leon: Sorry.

He tries to move, but finally his lips can't help a sheepish smile.

Leon: I already had an I.Q. test this year... but I don't think I ever had a...

Holden: Reaction time is a factor in this so please pay attention. Answer as quickly as you can.

Leon: Uh... sure...

Holden: One one eight seven at Hunterwasser...

Leon: Oh... that's the hotel.

Holden: What?

Leon: Where I live.

Holden: Nice place?

Leon: Huh? Sure. Yeah. I guess. Is that...part of the test?

Holden smiles a patronizing smile.

Holden: Warming you up, that's all.

Leon: Oh. it's not fancy or anything.

Holden: You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when...

Leon: Is this the test now?

Holden: Yes. You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a...

Leon: What one?

It was a timid interruption, hardly audible.

Holden: What?

Leon: What desert?

Holden: Doesn't make any difference what desert... its completely hypothetical.

Leon: But how come I'd be there?

Holden: Maybe you're fed up, maybe you want to be by yourself...who knows. So you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you...

Leon: A tortoise. What's that?

Holden: Know what a turtle is?

Leon: Of course.

Holden: Same thing.

Leon: I never seen a turtle.

He sees Holden's patience is wearing thin.

Leon: But I understand what you mean.

Holden: You reach down and flip the tortoise over on its back, Leon.

Keeping an eye on his subject, Holden notes the dials in the Voight-Kampff. One of the needles quivers slightly.

Leon: You make up these questions, Mr. Holden, or do they write 'em down for you?

Disregarding the question, Holden continues, picking up the pace.

Holden: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping.

Leon's upper lip is quivering.

Leon: Whatya means, I'm not helping?

Holden: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?

Holden looks hard at Leon, a hard piercing look. Leon is flushed with anger, breathing hard, it's a bad moment, he might erupt. Suddenly Holden grins disarmingly.

Holden: They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test designed to provoke an emotional response.

Leon is glaring now, the blush subsides, his anger slightly diffused. Holden smiles cheerfully, very smooth.

Holden: Shall we continue?

Leon nods, still frowning, suspiciously.

Holden: Describe in single words. Only the good things that come to your mind. About your mother.

Leon: My mother... I'll tell you about my mother.

Unable to handle the strain of questioning, Leon reveals himself as a replicant when he shoots Holden.
(With thanks to ThymineC, for being a good sport and allowing me to post this libelous indictment of his character. :lol: )
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Online Now