Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

JoshParnell, I'm saddened and moved by your post, and I want to say thank you for your wholehearted efforts over the years.

But the reason I am posting today, is because I am a therapist and coach, and know what it feels like to be in a profound hardship...as you say 'the most painful, difficult decision of my life'. You mention doubt, anxiety, despair. I've been there, many times in my life. And I've guided others through their own similar hardships many times. It is the risk of putting your whole heart and lifeforce into something that fails.

I want you to have support in your moment of struggle, and so I humbly offer my services at no cost to you. I am ready to meet with you over Zoom, as soon as today, for as many times as you need, to navigate this acute phase of difficulty.

I have followed the project over the last 4 years, and have always been impressed by your commitment, thoughtfulness, and expertese...and even more so by your willingness to be a real-time learning as you went, pushing your own limits again and again. I want to live in a world populated by people like you, and so I am here to support you as best I can.

Best,
Spark

This is what makes me the saddest:
it has been quite a long time, if I'm honest, since I was actually working from a place of inspiration
I really hope that someday you'll return to a place where that can be true again, even if it's not related to LT.
No, not the end

I can understand that this hurts badly but me? I regret nothing.

You did reach for the stars, quite literally, and didn't get all the way there.
Before you start beating yourself up over this, consider that this happens regularly to development studios with decades of experience. "The public" simply never gets to know about all the canceled projects. Only a few of them ever make the news.

Given what this unfinished game already does (and did at various times) you can probably use only that as a reference and pick your job at a development studio as a gameplay/shader/UI/prettymuchanything programmer.

Seriously, man, this is not the end. It may now look like that from your end but on balance it's just one project.
Game devs are modern hobos. Embrace it and keep moving. =)
Even I as a non-programmer, non-graphics-guy, and part-time modder am now working as a "game developer" and "designer".
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

With every end comes a new beginning. This I learned in my life; for such is life. Do not feel bad about it and do not call it a failure. Call it a lesson. Nothing is wrong with learning.

As for the source code: my advice is to not release it. You would regret it one minute later, guilting yourself for having forfeited all the hard work you endured over the past years. You slaved over it for so long. What for, if you give it away like that? Keep the source code for yourself. Keep tampering with it now and again, put order in it, improve it, add comments to explain the clever things -- do it even if without a goal in mind. One day you will be stung again by the programming bee and you will have a new idea to reuse that source on.

-fox

I hate that this happened to Josh. Good people don't deserve bad things. I want to see this guy with a huge grin on his face from delivering amazing software to people!

But I've been reading every single one of these comments, and all of the comments on the Kickstarter update. And I cannot be prouder to be a member of the human race right now.

You folks are awesome. Thank you for taking the time to tell someone who's hurting how much you support him.

While i am sad to see this project end like this. but after initial let down by Josh. I kind knew that this project was doomed. But i always wanted to it succeed it. Never really was a active in terms of posting here. but been watching it behind the scene. Although will Parsee the Josh for willingness to complete the project. I my self being application programmer know how hard these task are. The amount of time and mental strength needed to complete these projects. Personally i had to gave up in 1 year when i faced such high standard application. it was just making me go crazy. But Kudos to Josh for sticking to project for 6 years.

also lost friend here in argument over this Project....

Sorry to hear that. I want to thank you for at least trying to make a game the right way despite the difficulties. Striving for greatness is often more important than actually attaining it. I wish you the best and may you go on to become what I know you already are, a great programmer. P.S. I still love that interface/menu system you created. THAT is something worth keeping. Good luck.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

fox wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 am
With every end comes a new beginning. This I learned in my life; for such is life. Do not feel bad about it and do not call it a failure. Call it a lesson. Nothing is wrong with learning.

As for the source code: my advice is to not release it. You would regret it one minute later, guilting yourself for having forfeited all the hard work you endured over the past years. You slaved over it for so long. What for, if you give it away like that? Keep the source code for yourself. Keep tampering with it now and again, put order in it, improve it, add comments to explain the clever things -- do it even if without a goal in mind. One day you will be stung again by the programming bee and you will have a new idea to reuse that source on.

-fox
Releasing the code as open source is the opposite of giving up, though, and it feels problematic to say it is. The FOSS community would greatly benefit from a well-designed game engine, and Josh definitely could contribute to it, provided someone takes it upon themselves to manage it (which is not unlikely, given the size and energy of this community). I stand wholeheartedly by Josh's decision, and believe him when he says it's a great way to move on with his life. Moreover, by releasing it, he allows more people to interact with his work than would otherwise.

One of the largest modern open source projects, Blender 3D, was originally a private piece of software, until the company behind it died, and a crowdfunding campaign made it open source. There is precedent for good things coming out of decisions like this one.
"The chances of getting picked up by another ship within those thirty seconds are approximately 3,720 to 1."
"Never tell me the odds!"
Intentional misquotes are very exciting.

Josh,

You wouldn't remember, but I contacted you in the early days of LT to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about a previous project of yours where you were creating algorithmic music. When I read your posts about the music project I felt compelled to tell you that it was some of the best info on the subject -- and probably still is -- when no one else would go into detail about the subject. What became apparent to me at that moment, was that the transparency, communication and effusive excitement for bringing about creativity through the use of procedural code is in your DNA!

I say this, because, when we are faced with doubt and despair (which life is oft to do) it is difficult to maintain our personal plumb-line. But, as the many others here, myself included, can attest there is one immutable truth about Josh Parnell: You are happiest when you are "Creating Beautiful Things With Code"... CBTWC, there, now we have another acronym on the LT forum!

Don't doubt your ability in this area, and don't beat yourself up about missing the mark in "other areas" that are not your strong suit. Learn from them as you can, but focus on rekindling your joy in CBTWC.

It may sound a little silly, but if you feel yourself slipping into negative thoughts about yourself, go find one or two small "beautiful things" (it could be some screenshots, your editor, or a particular build that made a cool nebula) and say to yourself, "I made that." It's true. You produced some of OUR favorite content, be it wallpapers, videos, blog posts, prototypes, Pax demos and more.

As you eventually decide to tackle other projects, if you get overwhelmed, go produce a little something beautiful... no pressure, just the pleasure of making code produce something you want to!

With LT you attempted something brilliant and conquered a thousand hurdles we'll never know, I believe you have earned the right to hold your head high.

Jonathan Mickelson

P.S. As others have said, I think continuing this forum would be a tremendous way to foster the exploration and furthering of LT in whatever form it takes going forward, and I sincerely hope you'll be here too!

Employee 2-4601 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:56 am
I suspect there are aspects of the code which could be lifted and re-used, and personally I think it would be a shame if that happened for a commercial game, maybe solving significant problems for the developers, without Josh getting anything out of it.
Josh can use one or multiple commonly used open source share-alike copyleft licenses like the (A)GPLv3 or CC BY-SA 4.0. That way, Limit Theory will have another chance, and the Kickstarters and community get the next closest thing to the game there currently is. If anything gets done, Josh will benefit the same way as everyone else.

It will not stop Josh from using any his own code or assets produced on his own for other purposes. Even selling it to commercial entities that would surely rather pay than use share-alike copyleft software (if software is their product).
fox wrote:
As for the source code: my advice is to not release it.
From experience, the by far most likely outcome of doing this would be that the code base and assets will be of use to no one, rot (=become incompatible with more recent libs and compilers and language revisions and so on) and eventually get lost. The world lost a lot of software and assets that way.
fox wrote:
What for, if you give it away like that?
For the Kickstarters and the community, right?
fox wrote:
One day you will be stung again by the programming bee and you will have a new idea to reuse that source on.
Same thing as I wrote to Employee 2-4601.

Rad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:33 am
Josh can use one or multiple commonly used open source share-alike copyleft licenses like the (A)GPLv3 or CC BY-SA 4.0. That way, Limit Theory will have another chance, and the Kickstarters and community get the next closest thing to the game there currently is. If anything gets done, Josh will benefit the same way as everyone else.
Please god, not GPLv3...
This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

Online Now