eq2k wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:51 am
FormalMoss wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:34 am
Slymodi wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:32 pm
It's been fun
And thanks for all the fish!
Ford your turning into a penguin, stop it!
You're*
:ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);
Re: The End

Josh... do not lose hope!
I've been lurking in these forums for the past 5 years, reading this and that every once in a while, to remind myself of a beautiful dream... your dream, Josh. It was and still is exceptional.
You've made miracles happen, we've all seen it time and time again. Your constant desire to achieve more and more was an inspiration! Yet, you were never satisfied with what you achieved and that seems to have led you on a downwards spiral.

Limit Theory seemed like a functioning game back when you released the development updates videos and it has grown tremendously since!

Ah, I read this announcement with such sadness...

Everybody's already said it much better than I ever could. Josh, I salute you. LT was a great dream, and you put everything you had into realizing it, but real life and personal happiness are way, way more important.

Community - I salute you too. I was only ever a lurker, but it's been fascinating to read the erudite discussions on so many different topics over the past few years. I didn't expect to still be lurking, but here I am, popping out of the shadows again to say hi, and thanks...

GZ

I wanted to post so many wonderful and heart-felt words of encouragement but I could never find the perfect ones to say. :(

I just want to buy the guy some delicious food and have lunch with him. Maybe ask him if he'd play some Terraria with me.

You just don't do that sort of stuff with someone you're mad at.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

I kind of expected this to be honest. While Josh has talent and dedication in spades, he is low on project management skills, and on making realistic assessments. He's kind of a kindred soul to myself in that regard, which made it very interesting to me personally to see if he could actually pull this off in spite of his limitations. I always suspected he would likely fail, or at the very least be forced to scale down and deliver something far less grandiose than originally intended. Because that's how overly grandiose projects always end up for me!

Taking on a, expansive project like this solo is incredibly taxing on mental resources and stamina. And I think it must have been very difficult to manage the psychological pressure to deliver, after bringing outsiders on board and promising them the sun and the moon. Having an online community follow your work is great for building hype until release, but it's also murder on the soul...

Anyway, if Josh releases his source code I'm sure someone will make a solid open source engine out of it. I'm happy for Josh making a final decision, so he can move on with his life, instead of being stuck with a crashed dream. Life is just a string of learning experiences anyway, so this outcome is fine too!

Best of luck Josh, and thanks for the "entertainment" of letting us follow your struggles!

I was really excited for this game but sopped following after Josh disappeared and because of lack of information shared.
I am not a backer so I have no right to be upset or even judge Josh, but I am extremely disappointed.
Even with titles like X4 recently released I was really hoping to play this game and I was just come back to see if is there any progress at all and found this, The End.

The only thing I don't understand, why Josh was developing a custom engines from scratch?
There are so many engines and frameworks out there that could have been perfect.

Unity
Unreal
Godot
MonoGame
Urho3D
UrhoSharp
NeoAxis
CryEngine
Xenko

Name it, there are tons of engines and frameworks, why did you invest so much time and all the money in to making your own? Because of procedural generation? It is just a fancy word for random. You can put random staff together inside any engines. So why?
Started with C++ then started to develop your own C like scripting language then moved on to Python and I just see you are mentioning Lua in the announcement that I didn't even know about. If it was so dam hard to make your own engine, why? Why didn't you go and use one of that engines out there especially if you are unstable and feel exhausted mentally and physically?
You made your life difficult and overcomplicate this entire project for no reason.

I honestly don't understand and sorry.

I hope you be well and if you share the source, later, in few years maybe if you feel better you may pick this up again as a free and open-source title just for fun. No promises, no obligations, just fun in your spare time or if you feel ready to give it an other go as a commercial title, please consider using an existing engine unless you know where this engine went wrong and you are certain you can do better next time.

I wish you all the best.

ddabrahim wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:17 pm
The only thing I don't understand, why Josh was developing a custom engines from scratch?
There are so many engines and frameworks out there that could have been perfect.

Unity
Unreal
Godot
MonoGame
Urho3D
UrhoSharp
NeoAxis
CryEngine
Xenko
I may be wrong, but I got the impression that existing, publicly available engines simply cannot do what needs to be done for a game as ambitious as LT. Josh's earlier engine iterations couldn't do it either. We thought the C-Lua iteration could, and it looked like it all the way up to the end, but something went wrong. I don't know what it was, but I hope for the community's sake that it wasn't a repeat of the FPLT.

existing, publicly available engines simply cannot do what needs to be done Josh's earlier engine iterations couldn't do it either.
I didn't follow the development from the beginning and I don't know if it was something specific about the engine but I remember before the disappearance he mentioned having trouble with performance and compiling the game cross-platform. If that would have been the problem it is exactly what other already existing, already optimized and battle-tested engines could have helped with.
There are also frameworks that help you with talking to the graphics API and the GPU and CPU and rendering on cross-platform and you can build your own engine on top of that. But in case the game truly required a very custom engine at a low level for any reason, the entire project was a financial mistake. Josh should have been planned to start a studio with at least 2-3 employees right from the beginning and ask for a $1m so he can focus on the engine and employees take care of the gameplay or vice-versa.

1 person developing the entire engine from the ground up and the actual game on top of that in a room on a laptop just impossible unless you have a lifetime to try. I never have seen or heard anything like this. It was not ambitious but stupid no surprise he had a mental breakdown. Seriously.

He could have also made the engine open-source and welcome people to join and contribute and then he could focus on the actual game, I guess and hope this is what we are going to see unless the source he is about to share is a complete mess without documentation or choose a license that restricts the use of the source.

He must share the source under MIT license on GitHub with full documentation and then, maybe, one day, we are going to see this game come to life.

ddabrahim wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:52 am
the entire project was a financial mistake. Josh should have been planned to start a studio with at least 2-3 employees right from the beginning and ask for a $1m so he can focus on the engine and employees take care of the gameplay or vice-versa.

1 person developing the entire engine from the ground up and the actual game on top of that in a room on a laptop just impossible unless you have a lifetime to try. I never have seen or heard anything like this. It was not ambitious but stupid no surprise he had a mental breakdown. Seriously.
Oh, I don't disagree that he overestimated his bounds. But the name of the game is an abbreviation of "the theory of nonexistence of external limitation," so that kind of thought is entirely in character.
ddabrahim wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:52 am
He must share the source under MIT license on GitHub with full documentation and then, maybe, one day, we are going to see this game come to life.
Whoof—words like "must" are apt to rankle folks around here. Especially when you're asking this of him. MIT license is just about the most permissive there is, short of public domain. The guy spent the last…six years? of his life on this project; you can at least allow him to choose which rights of its corpse he licenses off.

Online Now