Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

Monk, I don't say much lately, but I'm here pretty much every single day. And I read your post. Thanks (sincerely) for taking the time to comment.

I think you make some good points. But I believe the most difficult problem Josh wrestled with on this project was never technical.

And that's all I'll say here.

The Monk wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 am
It's no big secret Python is a slow language that can't be JITted well either, he should have put in a day of googling to find the fastest scripting language from the beginning. There was never any need to even consider Python for this game engine, so that was even more time wasted on a guaranteed dead end.
I'd need to look back and find the post(s) where Josh introduced this approach to provide specific arguments, but your characterisation of that decision being virtually on a whim is way off the mark. Yes, it proved to be a bad decision; but from memory he had put a lot of time into investigating many different languages and possible approaches after deciding that his custom language was not going to do the job; and the choice of python (and IIRC a very particular version of python) came after a significant amount of investigation into features and performance characteristics.

I believe he made what seemed to him to be the right decision at the time, after a great deal more consideration than you are giving credit for.

This is the true tragedy of man:
When we were kids, we thought the world was all ours. We felt invincible. We did not pay too much heed to the warnings of our elders, they were just annoyingly yapping old fools.
What did they know? They were old, and they must have also been dumb.. they missed those solutions, that we, being the gifted prodigies, saw so clearly.
Then we smacked against the wall that should not have been there.

A few more walls later, we grew up and have younglings of our own now.
We tell them the very same things our elders have told us. Beware the walls, not so fast, you will hurt yourself.
We now know, that these were not the warnings of clueless fools, but the warnings of those who have bashed their heads against those very same walls before us.
Yet, our younglings are just like we were. Fearless, arrogant and without a clue. So they go and smack against the wall as well.

Josh, if you are reading this, I wish you the best. You are a talented guy, it is time to start developing that talent properly.
I sincerely hope, that you will find a job, where your talent can grow and be properly utilized.
I also hope, that you get over this failure and find it in yourself to embark on another project of your own.
Last, but not least, I hope that by then, you will have grown enough to make it succeed.

Hi all!
I haven't been here in ages, I hope all of you are doing awesome. Josh, I wish you well. It was a helluva fight, well fought. Go pick another one when you're ready.
Tal, sorry for bailing on REKT, it was a good backstory at least. :;
And to everyone who made this my go-to lurking spot for a few years, thanks for the good times! Y'all are a unique crowd of folks, keep it that way.

Not sayin' goodbye, just sayin', "So long!" [tips cap]
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Col. Lewis B. Puller, USMC

thesleeve wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 am
Tal, sorry for bailing on REKT, it was a good backstory at least. :;
And to everyone who made this my go-to lurking spot for a few years, thanks for the good times! Y'all are a unique crowd of folks, keep it that way.

Not sayin' goodbye, just sayin', "So long!" [tips cap]
No issue, Thesleeve. :) I had to put REKT aside for a while anyway. I'm picking it back up now, but I do fully understand how life can get in the way. Hope life treats you well for many years to come!
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:33 am
So when do we get to hear the full soundtrack of the game, Josh? :)

I don't play much Microsoft Freelancer now but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the soundtrack. ;) :angel:
Yea, I'd be interested in getting a copy of the soundtrack as a consolation prize! :)
Image LT Backer Number: 647 of 5449.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:22 am
Tycow wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 pm
Yea, I'd be interested in getting a copy of the soundtrack as a consolation prize! :)
Maybe Josh intends using the soundtrack in some other, as yet, unannounced project, Tycow. ;)

Pure speculation on my part. :angel:
I'm sure you know how unlikely that is. :/

I would however like the soundtrack, it'd be good to back my playthrough of X3 Mayhem, the closest thing I'll ever get to LT, I guess.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

ResultsMayDiffer wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:42 am
Is the source code released yet? I'm sorry but this is not a difficult thing to do and I feel is:
  • The most genuine thing to do if the goal is for Limit Theory to survive.
  • Is the least Josh can do for the backers that put money down.
Release the source code my dude. The pieces don't need to fit together cleanly or at all. Just get it out there or it's too easy to keep pushing off.

I would agree, ResultsMayDiffer. I get the feeling he's wanting the source code to be "perfectly tidy" when he releases it... which isn't really necessary. Of course, we haven't heard from him in three months, so there's no telling what he's up to. He's likely found a full-time job though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 am
source code to be "perfectly tidy" when he releases it...
That seems familiar...
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Still keen on the idea of something like github so that there is a version to download and a place for the community to work together to fine tune/debug it as needed. Github now has free private project pages, if you still wanted to limit it to backers and the original devs.

Online Now