Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

Well even if the project didn't complete it managed to change my life. Looking back, reading his daily devlogs on my morning commute was a huge factor in my life decision to quit my job and start my studies in programming.
His excitement and love for beautiful complexity was really contagious. And to that I'm thankful, and I wish him the best of luck in any future adventures.

If I never had followed the game, I wouldn’t have met so many awesome people. I met Tal in person and had drinks, I built my own “rig” under the supervision of Naed and live video, and I basically had a super resource for knowledge and squirrel fetishes. It all served a purpose.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Hi Josh

Now is a crucial time for you to hold on to some fundamental truths:

1. There is so much love for you man - reach out and keep talking to those close to you. Don’t bottle it all up!

2. You are super talented as a programmer, a thinker, a writer, a designer, an artist, a mathematician the list goes on. You WILL do great things one day!

I would take some time off, take a digital detox maybe learn the guitar or something and when the time is right come back - there are a bunch of people who would hire you in an instant but for now rest.

You are loved man!

E.

I've followed the development since the Kickstarter, and I feel like the insights I've gleaned were well worth the 20$ I spent. Looking forward to following your future work. Best of luck on your recovery.

Hey Josh and forumites.

Josh, as I said on your KS comment, you should be proud of what you did achieve, even though the end goal hasn't been reached. You battled for six long years against so many setbacks and still kept going. You have a product that is still most of the way there, and that is a testament to your stubbornness and self sacrifice!

People like Triopalite should themselves try to achieve what you have achieved and step into the crucible of a public-facing project that is challenging and difficult and then judge. Ignore trolls like that, and be positive about how far you came as a person, a programmer and a designer. Limit Theory is amazing.

Making the source code available is a great idea. I've seen web based projects like this take off once a community as vibrant as this one gets hold of it and can push it forward. I have no doubt that thanks to your example there are dozens of people here who would like to get involved and help push LT over the line.

Anyway. Good luck in whatever you do, Josh, and thank you for this community. Don't be a stranger. ;-)

Dave "Selezen" Hughes

I saw the news on Kickstarter but felt the desire to commiserate here. After all, Limit Theory really took shape and came alive for supporters on these forums through the extensive participation of Josh and the community that developed around his project.

To begin, I would like to echo the sympathy and well wishes for Josh voiced by others. Take whatever time you need to regain your health and a positive outlook my young friend.

I would add, however, that once you achieve a measure of mental balance and stability do reflect on the importance of being honest with yourself.

Giving 100% effort is commendable. Going through two breakdowns over the span of six years of development with the project "frighteningly far from feature completion" is senseless.

Going above and beyond only really works when there is a reasonable path to success. Perspective is everything.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Hi josh.

I wasn't an active member of the forum, and I wasn't one of your original backer. I discovered your project looking for info on procedural algorithm, and I was hook. I've learned a lot reading your dev diary, and it motivated me. seeing your work ethics updating everyday was one of the things supporting me when I was struggling to finish my PhD, and your passion pushed my to try my hand at game programing and eventually led me to my current job.

It's weird thinking back how much you influenced my life.

At the end of my PhD, I fell in depressive state, strangely mirroring your own problems. it took time to get out of it, and even more time to be able to work at my previous level. Sometime I feel I'm not up to my previous best, but I don't know if I'm idealizing the past. even if I feel that my work is not up to par, my boss is happy with my work and at the end of the day, I accept that good enough is nothing to torture myself on.

It take time to heal an injury and even more time for the scar to disappear. I hope you will find back the joy of doing, and that you will not look back on LT only negatively. it helped me, and I think lot of people (me included) enjoyed the journey. I hope you will read all the comments and see how much peoples don't consider what you've done as a failure. and I hope letting LT go will help you be at peace with yourself. and I hope that in a few year looking back, you will feel some satisfaction looking all you accomplished.

thank you for all those years and all the best.

Why in the world didn't you just stop trying to reinvent the wheel with your own engine, and just use a commercially available one? You're probably the most talented programmer I've ever seen, and you could have very easily modified an engine to suit your needs.

I'll echo the sentiments here that your health is more important than any stupid game, but I think people are being a little *too* understanding. At some point you needed to have re-evaluated this process. You didn't and now here we are.
Last edited by johnnyr on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm sorry Josh that it came to this. You gave it your all and you've come a very long way. You have been a great inspiration to me and I'm sure to many others here as well. You still have great things ahead and setting LT aside for now will not pull you down like I'm sure it feels right now to you forever.

johnnyr wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm
Why in the world didn't you just stop trying to reinvent the wheel with your own engine, and just use a commercially available one? You're probably the most talented programmer I've ever seen, and you could have very easily modified an engine to suit your needs.

I'll echo the sentiments here that your health is more important than any stupid game, but I think people are being a little *too* understanding. At some point you needed to have re-evaluated this process. You didn't and now here we are.
First, there isn't a commercially-available engine capable of doing what he wanted to do. Cryengine, for instance, is too limited in scale and how much you can have going on at once. Unity does scale better, but has more trouble with lots of calculations (such as masses of AI). Engines like these tend to be "generalized" to fit a general-case situation, so as to be useful to as many people as possible. Josh needed one that did everything, because LT was going to do everything. Modifying an engine isn't a simple process, and there are many hard limitations. The only real option was to build one of his own.

(Excellent example of how limited pre-built engines are for things they're not designed for: Even KSP runs slowly when your ship has a few hundred parts on it. We were talking about a few hundred ships, WITH intelligent enough AI to be a suitable rival to the player, and a dynamic market system, multiple star systems, etc., etc.)

As to the second part, he knows that, and it's probably the thing foremost on his mind - especially seeing as you're echoing the sentiments he put forth in his Kickstarter post. I don't think he needs to be "reminded", because he hasn't "forgotten". :)

thedamngod wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 am
What happens to the soundtrack? I appeared as though Francois was working on it. Will it be released publicly as well, or, if you release it, only to the relevant backers?
I'm hoping it will be released publicly. That would be awesome. :) If he's making the source code available, I don't see why he wouldn't make the music publicly available as well. I could of course be wrong, though - this is only my idle speculation.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

johnnyr wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:26 pm
... but I think people are being a little *too* understanding. At some point you needed to have re-evaluated this process. You didn't and now here we are.
People are being considerate because they are aware of the effort Josh has put in these last six years. He even did what you are suggesting -- recall his first disappearance and re-entry -- and it ultimately couldn't save the project. I know the possibility of redemption lurks in the background of every story, but I find, and I think people sense, that in situations like this it's better to be a little more fatalistic, a little more attuned to the tragedy of it all. He did his best and it still wasn't enough. In the end, he was crushed by his own genius. The situation is ripe for this understanding, and so people have found it comes easily to them. That is what you're seeing.

Online Now