Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

I didn't know where to put this. I wanted to send Josh a mail to pour my heart out, but I feel like that is way too intrusive on my part to do so. I still, however, hope he reads this.
Your dream inspired a lot of people and I was one of them. I looked at the funds that star citizen had, but I still believed that limit theory would be a better game. I still do. To be honest probably one of the most amazing space game at the time of release.
You dragged me into your idea (well, you and all this wonderful community), and I have been one of the lurkers who has been following the project since just after the Kickstarter ended. For the last 4 years, I've been the kind to check on the forums every few weeks to find an update. And every time one of those posts appeared I would be delighted to read through all of it. And enjoy the baby steps to the giant leaps that we've seen throughout the years. I was there worried when we heard about your burnout. I was here cheering when the progress train was back (I had to do a reference to the train thread :train: ).

But today, I am sad, I've been crying for the last 20 minutes since I've read that thread. I really had that game to heart and I do NOT want to forget about it. The one thing I want to do is to get the code that you are planning on releasing and spending most of my free time on it. I want that game to exist. Maybe not exactly in the way that Josh imagined it but I still want it to be there.
I don't know how many feel the way that I do, and possibly people are way more qualified than I am with game developing (I have learned lots about programming alone and have done my fair share of little things on unity/UE4).

From what I read, most of the engine is done and mostly content has to be implemented? I'd like to think it's possible to pick up from where Josh was and try to push it forward. I want to form a Rebellion/Alliance against the stop of Limit Theory. Have a band of merry programmers that could pick it up and try and make this go one step further.
I'll try to get more active and see if something can get going.

[edit] It seems like I'm far from being the only one in the LT rebellion! I can't wait to see what happens when the source code appears! [\edit]

:squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel: :squirrel:

Josh, Thank you. Thank you for your perseverance, thank you for going as far as you went. Just thank you.

Sad news indeed. I was not a backer. I came to know Josh and Limit Theory after the kickstarter campaign had closed. Even though this project has failed I would still consider backing any future projects this young man undertakes. Failing is part of life and is how we build character and learn. Josh I know you've learned a lot from this project. You'll take that experience to your next job/project and grow even more. Good luck to you and all that you do in the future. Please keep in touch!

Well this is unfortunate.
Only thing I can say is don't rush things. Even if it's deciding what to do from with "The End" from here on out.
Keep your sanity and livelihood above all else.
It's been an interesting journey for sure. Thank you for sharing it with us.
o7

I still want my space turtle though ... :ghost:

boxcartenant wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 pm
So.... ummm... Where's the source gonna be?
I guess we'll find out once he's released it. If you want to hack on it at that point, and it's not where you'd like it to be, there's unlikely to be anything preventing you from putting a copy elsewhere; so I don't imagine it matters, really.

Why isnt he selling the rights to some big company to finish it? He's put in so many hours and has such exceptional talent, I dont understand. There's extreme value in this unfinished game. The size of the following it has already is worth a company taking a look.

Selling the rights would be complicated I would have thought. The main issue is what happens to all the kick starter backers who funded the games development? Will they still get the rewards promised? You would essentially be selling a debt to all the kick starter folk who paid their money and expect a game. Would a publisher or other company want to honour that?

I doubt it would even make sense, to be honest. Learning Josh's code and figuring out how to expand upon it is probably a bigger undertaking than simply starting from scratch with a pre-made engine - not to mention all the licensing concerns, PR, the Kickstarter backers and all that entails, and so on. It would most probably be in a company's best interests to start over from scratch, unless they had some kind of emotional tie to Limit Theory, the game (such that we do).
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Philip Coutts wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:02 pm
Selling the rights would be complicated I would have thought. The main issue is what happens to all the kick starter backers who funded the games development? Will they still get the rewards promised? You would essentially be selling a debt to all the kick starter folk who paid their money and expect a game. Would a publisher or other company want to honour that?
No, that's not really a problem. If Kickstarter promises are even a debt, you can sell the rights to the code without any liabilities transferring. That kind of thing happens all the time in business transactions.

...buuuut he'd be legally obliged to use the money he receives for the code to refund his backers.

Anyway... speaking as a (not-game) developer, I don't think anyone is interested in buying someone elses unfinished code... you'd have to invest at least a month or more of work into investigating the code before being able to decide if it's something you want to give money for.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:43 am
...buuuut he'd be legally obliged to use the money he receives for the code to refund his backers.

Anyway... speaking as a (not-game) developer, I don't think anyone is interested in buying someone elses unfinished code... you'd have to invest at least a month or more of work into investigating the code before being able to decide if it's something you want to give money for.
Not only are you fully correct, but I'd say you've underestimated the time any reasonable due diligence would take.

No company in their right mind would pay any amount of money for a codebase from a project that's failed so hard, especially given that Josh had a history of not being certain that his code *could* support a game. There's less than zero inherent value in this code, and any company capable of building a game like LT would easily be able to take another, proven, engine to make it, with far less cost and far more reliability.
--
Mind The Gap

Online Now