Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

Hey Josh!

Glad to hear you're in a better place lately.
JoshParnell wrote:Oh, and I will try to include a simple, bare-bones nebula generator/viewer script example since that seems to be such a popular request :)
If we could get a nebula/asteroid field/procedural planet/space ship viewer, where all you can do is watch AI ships fly by while the stars twinkle, man that would be the most awesome thing ever next to an actual LT release. I would use that thing, like, all day every day. I'd just have it running on my second monitor while I pump ambient music through my headphones and work.

No pressure, though.

Anyway, good to hear from you. Take care!

:thumbup: :wave:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Josh, one other thing while I'm thinking about it.

I'm not requesting a detailed post-mortem. But I sure would like to know, if you're willing to briefly describe it: was there something you decided the LT engine could not deliver that's required to make the game you imagined?

Are we talking about several core features with severe technical requirements? Or an overwhelming number of gameplay functions? Or something else?

This isn't to try to spark a long or in-depth exchange -- I'm honestly just curious.

Meanwhile, as I said earlier, I hope you're doing OK. Please let us know if there's anything we can do.

Hey Josh! I'm happy to hear you are recovering a bit- keep on keeping on man.

Considering my own situation, I don't think I'm in a position to give advice in good faith, but I will say that even just getting to the point where you are on a path to getting better is no small feat. I look forward to whatever is in store and, as others have said already, I am quite happy to help in any way I can.
Libertas per Technica

Thanks guys for the kind words :)
XerKB101 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:19 pm
Spoiler:      SHOW
Josh, I really dont know what to actually say.
6 years ago during what I would consider the hardest time of my life I was struggling with everything around me and specially lacked motivation. On the day I saw your first YouTube video on the 21st of November 2012 I saw all your passion and drive which really motivated me to try my best even if the road ahead of me was unsteady. As I saw your videos one after another it kept helping me to try my best just as you were. And after all the things that have happened to you I'm glad that you are still the same person who has tried his best and gone through many hardships which I personally respect. I dont in anyway mean to make you feel uneasy I just want to say thank you for your hardwork and for motivating so many of us in the community during times we just wanted to see something to make us feel at ease in the form of someone else's progress and energetic attitude. Dont let yourself be disappointed. There is nothing to be disappointed by. You tried your best with all your might and did not come out empty handed. You came out with more skills and expertise in coding and most importantly experience which is more valuable than anything else. It's like the old saying goes practice makes perfect. The more one fails and endures and strives to improve themselves the better they become not only as a talented individual but also as a human. Do not feel ashamed of this minor hurdle for the future is bright and the source code you release will be very important to assist others in creating a game down the road which is something to be proud of as it takes a lot of skill to attract others to use ones own code for another person's game later on.

So Josh once the source code is released always keep an eye out for other developers as they might approach you for advice as well as your knowledge and past experience. Never give up hope always strive to be the best you can be. And from the bottom of my heart, thank you for motivating and leading a 14 year old boy down the right path of pursuing him dream. Thank you so much.

Hey man that's so wonderful to hear. I'm really happy if my story inspired or helped anyone in any way. Thank you for sharing and never stop pursuing your dream :)

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:35 pm
As glad as I am (as a code geek) that you're working on the code release, I can't help but also wonder: how are ypu doing?

What's next for you?

Is there anything we can do, or would you prefer that we leave you in peace on your own?

Thank you for your genuine concern as always Flat, it is humbling to still have folks who care about me :) I am doing better. As for what's next, I am currently interviewing with game studios and am likely going to accept an offer from one in particular whose vision is not, in fact, so very far from the vision of Limit Theory. Not the same, but definitely not so different :) I'll say more when it's official.

You guys offering your kindness and patience with me as I simultaneously plot my course into the future and work to tie up the ends of LT is already more than I could have hoped for, so I appreciate that :thumbup:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:16 am
you may now be able to enjoy the pages after pages of theorycrafting without stress :ghost:
just for the benefit of the people who want to abuse your code base to make LT :angel: :ghost:

edit: or, god forbid!, come by the IRC :ghost:

The amount of intellectual stimulation lingering around here that I have yet to consume is indeed exciting :D I would not, of course, discourage any such abuse... ;) And I'm sure I haven't seen the last of LTIRC, if anyone still lurks there these days :ghost:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 am
It's really good to hear from you again, Josh. :D :D :angel:

The flagship councilman still lingers! :D Good to see you Victor :wave:

Just_Ice_au wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:29 am
If we could get a nebula/asteroid field/procedural planet/space ship viewer, where all you can do is watch AI ships fly by while the stars twinkle, man that would be the most awesome thing ever next to an actual LT release. I would use that thing, like, all day every day. I'd just have it running on my second monitor while I pump ambient music through my headphones and work.

I would like that immensely :) The pieces are all there so...it should be within reach.

Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:26 am
I'm not requesting a detailed post-mortem. But I sure would like to know, if you're willing to briefly describe it: was there something you decided the LT engine could not deliver that's required to make the game you imagined?

Are we talking about several core features with severe technical requirements? Or an overwhelming number of gameplay functions? Or something else?

It would be a real shame if I didn't draw up at least a brief post-mortem at some point. There were so many lessons learned. I would like that. But, in brief (EDIT: brief :ghost:): no, the issue was not of a technical nature. In fact, after so many years, our tech was in a wonderful place to make it happen. The missing piece of the puzzle? Honestly, it was me. I think everyone could see how burnt-out I had become, even when I tried to carry on via sheer force of will. My passion and vision of Limit Theory is what fueled the whole thing. But six years into it, the fuel was exhausted (and, as I stated on KS, so were the finances). There was still a lot of gameplay work to be done, not to mention polishing and testing, and yet I found myself less capable than ever of pushing out good solutions. I could no longer see the vision, I could no longer draw on inspiration or passion, and it left me, in a sense, stumbling around in the dark.

So it was, in the end, the combination of an overwhelming number of gameplay functions remaining, the impending deadline imposed by finances despite ever-more-frugal management thereof, and the no-longer-deniable waning of my ability to get things done. Had I still been capable of the levels of productivity that we saw in the early years, I might have tried to extend my financial deadline via loans or the like and push through. But for years I had watched myself decline in productive output -- some spikes here and there, but by mid-late 2018 I was feeling less in-control of my creative/productive mind than ever. Doubling-down with a broken spirit felt pointless. In my heart, I no longer believed in myself.

This is no doubt the risk of passion projects, as skeptics (realists?) were quick to point out in the early days and along the way. They were right :( I don't doubt that someone better than I could have pulled it off. I don't doubt that I could have pulled it off if I had known all that I know now. I'd give anything to have the brain that I had six years ago (merged with the pragmatism that I learned along the way?). Hopefully someday I will again, and when that day comes I will be sure to take better care of it :)

Plofre wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:39 am
I was wondering if there are still code-snapshots of the pre-dark-days development around, I seem to remember some awesome videos showing amazing stuff like space lanes (in the "good old C++ times).

In fact, yes! I still have the full LTC++ source lying around, and I can release that too at some point, although I will prioritize the newer sources. I don't recall what kind of shape that code is in, but I know that it compiles and that you can fly around a bit.

FormalMoss wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 am
I love the idea of the equivalent 64kb visual rendering scene with LT-engine.. can we import custom music?

Adam did a great job with integrating FMOD sound system, so yes :) As for what's next, I will refer you to my above (1st) response to Flat.

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:26 am
A little late - just got back from a surprise funerary trip. Very nice to see you posting again and watching the forums, Josh! :thumbup: Glad to have you back - never doubted you'd come around again. :) Very glad you're feeling better, too.

Talv! :D :wave: :wave:

asod wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm
Is the combat prototype that got released way back available somewhere by any chance?

I will release the prototype to everyone as well. In fact, maybe that's the first thing I should release, as it's already packaged and ready-to-go!

---

Note: please don't be offended if I didn't reply to you personally...it was a long post :ghost: But I appreciate all of you <3
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:13 pm
I'm sure I haven't seen the last of LTIRC, if anyone still lurks there these days :ghost:
We lurk, yes. And a bit more than that! The IRC still sees daily activity! :D
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

Thank you, Josh. The most important thing in there was that you're converging on a solution for maximizing what you personally can achieve. This is very much an iterative process. ;) I believe it's good you're seeing it as such.

And you'd better believe I'm super-eager to hear what lucky studio may be gaining your abilities!

As for LT, I suspect you've made a lot of people very happy -- in a strange sort of way -- that you don't see anything inherent in either the LT engine so far or the vision of Limit Theory The Game that would prevent making something very close to that game with that engine. That's been a key concern for a while now: is the LOD AI or market stuff just too hard for anyone to do? Or is it more a matter of how much persistence can be poured into that work? From your comments, it sounds like it's more a matter of accumulation of effort... which means the dream of LT-the-game is still within reach. That's going to inspire a lot of people, I think.

And that, if you'll allow me, is the one thing that still concerns me -- that you seem to still be criticizing yourself for not being sufficient to do it all. My hope is that the eventual result of releasing the LT code, and your own future successes, will help you see that it was never necessary for you to be able to do it all. If something like Limit Theory gets mostly built, I'm confident you'll see it was because multiple people, with differing gifts, cooperated to combine their "limited" but advanced skills.

Honestly, this is something I struggle with. I have a pile of projects that are partially built but unfinished -- games I think would be incredibly cool but that will never exist to entertain anyone because I can't do everything myself and I find asking other people for anything fantastically hard. Putting my Generation Ship idea out there took more than anyone will ever know.

You at least have the opportunity to fix that. You can discover that working with other people who have their own gifts is a great way to create a complex and satisfying new thing. I'm happy beyond words that it looks like you're going to get that chance. Please keep us posted about what you can, when you can.

JoshParnell wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:13 pm
asod wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm
Is the combat prototype that got released way back available somewhere by any chance?

I will release the prototype to everyone as well. In fact, maybe that's the first thing I should release, as it's already packaged and ready-to-go!
Great to hear, Josh. Take care!

Online Now