Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory @ PAX South 2018 Recap

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:25 pm
JoshParnell wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:22 pm
It is a real treat to play it in 4K :)
Can i properly spread LT over two of such beauties? :twisted:
May Almalexia have mercy on your computer's soul...

(runs to try it)
(comes back pleasantly surprised)

I get fairly-consistent 60fps @ 8K with a half-screen split (so mimicking the resolution you're talking about). Dips to 45 in combat. Not surprisingly, roughly 30FPS @ full 8K. I am running on my laptop with a 1060 (in ubuntu).

However, I am mimicking 8K using supersampling, and the renderer is smart enough to apply postprocessing after downsampling to output resolution, meaning I'm not incurring the cost of a 4K/8K bloom (which would likely be the biggest cost for postprocessing once you go above 1080p).

Summary: yes, but obviously you need a lot of power, especially if you want to run on full settings. At some point down the road I'll probably optimize the renderer further for UHD output. What's your GPU?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm
Welp...if a 1080 won't run it, nothing will :lol:

Yeah, that should work :shock:
Wonder how many screens the 1080Ti can do then? Want to provide a copy so I can test it? :ghost: ;)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I don't want to be overly negative, this is awesome work / news and we can finally see LT in motion again.
BUT
please consider using no / less depth of field. I could hardly enjoy the first minute because of it, sure it is probably because of strange personal eye conditions I have but it is actually hurting my eyes trying to focus on it.

have a heart and don't use DoF. & motion blur fucking cancer

I don't get why there is almost nothing about it on the net, only now and than a post about people not liking it but its not that it is literately hurting my eyes. fuck me I guess ... yay -.-
Last edited by Balingr on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ateerix wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm
It looked awesome but the planet looked super tiny with how close you were fighting to it. Will it be possible to make the planet sizes much much larger on release? Looks super fluid though with that many ships flying around!
Yes, absolutely. Planet sizes can essentially be as large as you want them. :)
Balingr wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 pm
I don't want to be overly negative, this is awesome work / news and we can finally see LT in motion again.
BUT
please consider using no / less depth of field. I could hardly enjoy the first minute because of it, sure it is probably because of strange personal eye conditions I have but it is actually hurting my eyes trying to focus on it.

have a heart and don't use DoF.

I don't get why there is almost nothing about it on the net, only now and than a post about people not liking it but its not that it is literately hurting my eyes. frak me I guess ... yay -.-
This was purely for the sake of the demo, to help differentiate between camera modes (and Josh was short on time). From what he's said, I assume it won't actually be in the "real" LT. :) You (and your eyes) can rest easy.

Also, hi! It's been a long time since I saw you post last. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Balingr wrote:
BUT

have a heart and don't use DoF. & motion blur frakking cancer

I don't get why there is almost nothing about it on the net, only now and than a post about people not liking it but its not that it is literately hurting my eyes. frak me I guess ... yay -.-
Yes, thank you for letting us know about this! We'll definitely try to include as many on/off options for effects like DoF, motion blur, and bloom as we can, as those options are important for accessibility. Even Josh, who has no eye conditions, had to turn bloom off on a particular game (who shall not be named) because the brightness was hurting his eyes... -.-
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Wow, just wow.

I didnt expect to find myself sold on the fun of fighter style combat, but that looked amazing! To know it's just a slice...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Thank you for the writeup, Lindsey! Great to see you guys having so much fun showing off the current demo, and I'm extremely happy (but not completely surprised) that it was so well received.

If I could ask a question, it would be to inquire whether you or Josh or Adam were able to connect with some of the other game developers there. I saw a few photos on Twitter, but wasn't sure if you'd had time/opportunity to say hi to some other devs. One of the great benefits of PAX (for indie devs) is the chance to network; I hope there was some time for that.

Balingr wrote:
have a heart and don't use DoF. & motion blur frakking cancer

I agree completely with the spirit of this. One of the first things I do in any game, if it is decent enough to let me, is to turn off the awful depth-of-field, motion blur, film grain, lens flare, and all other "computer games should be like movies" garbage. What I want is to feel like I'm actually there in a place, and all the "film" effects detract from that experience.

SLIDERS. :D

I'm a bit concerned about the slider aspects of the game. I'm hoping this won't turn into a nightmare "mixing panel" which has me spending most of my time trying to get the game configuration just right. I trust the team to make a good fist of the presets thus obviating the necessity to play around forever with the sliders.

I'm all for flexibility in a game but I prefer a game to be playable "out of the box" without having to drain my enthusiasm on lengthy exercises such as these.

The only slider/button I will really appreciate is the one called "Freelancer 2 mode". :angel:

And I'm well aware of some of the sight issues which need to be addressed by the need for indispensable accessibility settings in the game.

The sliders are there to demonstrate the range of the ship gen algorithms I would guess in the game those numbers will be generated based on seed values taken from the race/civ/corp that they belong too.

So if corp "Evilcorp" has a evilness rating of a 9/10 then a corresponding high value for "Spikiness" and "Redness" might be used when ships for Evilcorp are generated.

I cannot tell you how good it feels to see LT in motion again, the video exudes polish, stability and solidness the engine just feels right which is such a difficult thing to do.

Good looking game, good looking team.

Forza Limit Theory.

Online Now