Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory @ PAX South 2018 Recap

As someone who is probably here for more of the dynamic parts of Limit Theory (such as cause and affect of actions) I'm curious how Freelancer is defined, and how Limit Theory will be paralleling that experience. Basically, what sets Freelancer apart from other space games such as the X, and Elite series? What does LT need to have to become a worthy successor of Freelancer?

Asked by a guy who understands the open world of Planetside2 and the fun space battles of X-wing Alliance.

BFett wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:07 pm
As someone who is probably here for more of the dynamic parts of Limit Theory (such as cause and affect of actions) I'm curious how Freelancer is defined, and how Limit Theory will be paralleling that experience. Basically, what sets Freelancer apart from other space games such as the X, and Elite series? What does LT need to have to become a worthy successor of Freelancer?

Asked by a guy who understands the open world of Planetside2 and the fun space battles of X-wing Alliance.
I'd say that Freelancer's greatest virtue mechanically is its control scheme and feel. It's a click-and-drag arrangement, which means you just go the way you point the mouse, but only when you're holding the mouse button, so while there are hotkeys for all the other windows and menus, you can still just click their icons on-screen. it requires very little explanation, and provided you're not on a multiplayer server and need to use the chat, you could very easily get through the whole game with just your mouse and WASD, Shift, and Tab. There are other flight and camera controls, which raise the skill ceiling for multiplayer combat, but don't simultaneously raise the skill floor for anyone who just wants to play the singleplayer campaign.

Turning response is very good. It never feels like you have to wait for your ship to catch up with your cursor, and the camera moves with the ship, tilting and rolling to make the movement on screen more fluid. Even when you're in wide-open empty space without asteroids or stations as points of reference, you can see the effects of strafing or adjusting your thrust speed in the engine exhausts and contrails. It's subtle, but the visual feedback is important for knowing your ship.

You can also re-map just about any control you want (although getting anything to play nicely with a controller requires finagling).

There are other positives to the Freelancer experience, but all the promises of content are already part of the LT dream -- it's the feel of the game at your fingers that's really the biggest variable. Even the lightest and fastest ships in Elite Dangerous feel sluggish and ungainly compared to anything in Freelancer.

Edit: Well, sluggish and ungainly compared to anything in Freelancer until you mod in player access to transports and capital ships. Vanilla Freelancer only avails fighters and freighters to players.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

A good question, BFett, followed by that excellent reply from Grumblesaur. :D :clap:

I gave up on Elite Dangerous very early after its release due to a failure on the part of its creator to fulfill its KS promise of a true singleplayer mode so I would be unable to make any comment as to the veracity of any statement made concerning its comparison with Freelancer. But I doubt if I could have done a better job of explaining why Freelancer means so much to me than the words provided by Grumblesaur. :angel:

I still say that "Victor's Choice" should still be a standard feature on the LT Menu-of-Fun, because I'm sure I'd enjoy playing the game as Victor intends LT to be. However, I'm one of those people who is strongly inclined to the attitude of telling any developer to fuck off with their game rules and let me play with their system to maximize my own enjoyment. As such, I frequently employ cheats in games... not entirely because I just want to be a super-powered god (Though that is fun sometimes), but in being able to distort the game in ways the developer didn't intend or even foresee, especially in games that employ a lot of simulation aspects, there's just more fun which can be extracted from a system when you're not chained by systems intended to balance the game out or elicit particular situations/choices/tradeoffs.

As an example, I have over 2800 hours in Crusader Kings 2, Yes I have played the game as it was intended many many times, and yes I have cheated myself into effective godhood and conquered the whole world a dozen times, but almost always It's been more interesting and entertaining to fiddle around with the AI, making them more or less powerful, infecting them with diseases or healing them, or converting the Pope into a Jew and the Caliph into a Buddhist and throw all the major empires into simultaneous civil wars while I sit as some nobody count on Socotra or Iceland just watching what happens when I poke the world with a stick. Unfortunately though, CK2 fails the God-Emperor Test, but it comes closer than any other game I've played, and that arises from the sheer dynamism of the AI and wonderful story/event system Paradox has put in place.

Therefore I think it's important that the devs make sure that the systems are fun in and of themselves. Not only for fine tuning the controls and camera and whatnot to get that orgasm inducing game-feel, but also to make sure they capture as much dynamism and potential for emergent fun as the system can provide.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:44 pm
I still say that "Victor's Choice" should still be a standard feature on the LT Menu-of-Fun, because I'm sure I'd enjoy playing the game as Victor intends LT to be. However, I'm one of those people who is strongly inclined to the attitude of telling any developer to frak off with their game rules and let me play with their system to maximize my own enjoyment.
:lol: You did read all the latest stuff about me wanting a "main story", Hyperion? And I've never been a slave to all this procedural stuff. If it can deliver what I want then I'm more than happy. Where it may fail to deliver I'm prepared to let others have a go at "bending" things a little. From what I've seen of LT it's still my best hope for getting the game that I want. :angel:

Pity he's using ancient gameplay footage, would have really loved to see some of the video lindsey posted of the game in its current state.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

The problem is that footage makes LT look like a shoot'em'up mainly because it is a jury rigged version that is a shoot'em'up . Also it probably wasn't around when he made the vid. I think we are all waiting for some new footage that represents LT as it will be after the brilliant run of work that sorted out the computation problem.

On the subject of how to play Limit Theory, I like to play the developers vision as is.

SergeDavid wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:08 pm
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but while searching around to see if there was any games that I forgot to put on my watchlist from Pax South I saw this review on a guys top 3 games from Pax.

https://youtu.be/TU-B5iJZnc4?t=2m59s
(cringes so hard at old LT footage) (ps Limit Theory is not just a shooter)

Good find though, Serge!

Philip Coutts wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:03 pm
Well, well, well...You turn your back for a month or two and boom! Nice demo, very impressive. It looks slick that's for sure and really nice to see you getting out and about with the game. Hopefully it will drum up some interest from prospective purchasers!
Thank you, Philip! ^^
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Online Now