Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #2: February 2013

IIRC Josh did mention in his DevLog that he was considering letting us customize the power distribution and bind it to a hotkey. However, I do echo the need for us to somehow reset the power distribution to factory default settings. ;)

On the topic of power requirements vs hardpoints, I agree that we should give players the option of choosing to put capital ship weapons on fighters (within reasonable limits, of course, no capital ship spinal mount weapons on fighters, for example) and have these capital ship weapons consume so much power that the ship shuts down (no engine, no shields) after every shot just to regenerate the power lost for that one volley. And if you decide to put a weapon that needs more power than what you have available (I dunno, herp derp moment...), then the shame's on you! :lol:
In Josh we trust.

Josh,

You say in your update you will do the maximum to allow the players to customize the game, will this include the possibility to translate the game in another language ?

It is not crucial, and i can play the game in english, but I am interested by your answer (and it would probably be easier to take that into account from the beginning) :geek:

Great update Josh, the interface work really has paid off - looks much slicker than the previous demo..

The way I see power distribution/generation working is that the generators/reactor (or equivalent) of your ship should only be able to provide so many watts of power- your various systems will each consume a certain amount of power, with more powerful/higher end components requiring more power.. This would prevent the overpowered capital weapons from being used on smaller fighters as your generators just wouldn't be able to provide the power needed (or you'd severely limit the remaining power for other systems).. Would be a good idea to have the ability to load multiple generators to power more powerful equipment, although they would need to take up hardpoint or cargo space etc..

Have you thought about setting safe limits on how much you can 'overclock' components? Perhaps they should begin to become damaged after a certain level, so if you overcharge the weapons too much you end up damaging them slightly with every shot, engines get damaged when overused, although you would potentially be able to escape a dangerous situation as long as you dont need to travel for too far to get them repaired.. Doesn't really make sense to allow something to consume all the power it can without any side effects.

^

Unless the damage is self-repairing, I would be against such an idea. Too often the process of micromanaging things such as damage, repair status, etc start to take away from, you know, actually playing the game. Cue X3 and the dreaded mass driver, where hull damage invariably means a grueling trip to a shipyard and millions of credits, or suiting up and firing a repair laser at it for 15 minutes (neither of which is engaging gameplay).

The way I see it when mounting large weapons on small ships is this: All ships have generators of varying sizes which feed into capacitors with varying capacities (for lack of a better word). A weapon then takes power from the capacitor when it fires, it always requires the same amount of power but by reducing the RoF you decrease it's consumption over time. Now lets say a certain fighter has a capacitor that can store 25GW (giga-watts) and a weapon that uses 10GW to fire, that's no problem right. Now say you try firing a capital ship weapon that uses 100GW to fire. You can only store a quarter of what is required, so charging your systems for any amount of time (no matter how long) won't help, you're simply SOL. Thays how I see it anyways.

PS: Think you could make it so you have a toggle for cursor following (maybe the space bar just like in Freelancer!)?

NikoDG wrote:The way I see it when mounting large weapons on small ships is this: All ships have generators of varying sizes which feed into capacitors with varying capacities (for lack of a better word). A weapon then takes power from the capacitor when it fires, it always requires the same amount of power but by reducing the RoF you decrease it's consumption over time. Now lets say a certain fighter has a capacitor that can store 25GW (giga-watts) and a weapon that uses 10GW to fire, that's no problem right. Now say you try firing a capital ship weapon that uses 100GW to fire. You can only store a quarter of what is required, so charging your systems for any amount of time (no matter how long) won't help, you're simply SOL. Thays how I see it anyways.

PS: Think you could make it so you have a toggle for cursor following (maybe the space bar just like in Freelancer!)?
Projectile weapons / cannons could work as described. I would personally prefer beams to work with continuous power. This works great for unconventional strategies (imagine a freighter dropping drones with short-range beam weapons as defense, or a slowly-pivoting long-range beam weapon as an excellent defensive system or even siege weapon [again something I want to bring back from Freespace 2]).

Online Now