Return to “Announcements”

Re: [ FORUM UPDATE ] : Feedback, Known Issues, Etc.

Okay, Flatfingers, I was able to implement your addition. Adding things is considerably easier than changing them. :lol: Still slightly tricky (it did take me twenty minutes, after all) but overall... I think it works. You'll find it in a relatively unobtrusive location.

Haven't figured out how to remove the popup yet. Still working on that, but at least you can mark things as read again.

(And don't worry, Cody, I haven't forgotten about your change :P)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 am
Employee 2-4601 wrote: You should include one of the standard fonts as a final fallback in each font-family style. I suggest sans-serif.

e.g.: font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif;
Added to DevRavaio.
Thanks Talvieno! I think you missed a couple, though? :) In /styles/devravaio/theme/stylesheet.css?assets_version=19 the only selectors with a fallback (of either sans-serif or monospace) seem to be:

Code: Select all

input
.codebox code
.bbcode-code
Whereas the following selectors all still have a font-family style with no fallback.

Code: Select all

body
input
textarea
.fora-icon:after
.fora-redirect
.fora-stats
.topic-icon:after
.topic-stats
.postbody h3
.post-unapproved-notice input
.post-reported-notice
.post-number
.w-drop:after
.dropdown-body .notification-title
span.check:after
.button
.birthdays:before
.rc-link:after
.rc-title
.rc-content
blockquote
.details dt
.faq dt
.form dt span
.sub-panels li
.poll-title
.poll-option-title
.background-deep h3
.background-normal h3
.modal-body .w-input
#message-box input.input
.bookmark-link:before
.cp-sidebar-block dt
.cp-list-icon:after
.cp-list-description h4
.cp-list-notification h4
.notifications_time
.cp-list-stats
.chosen-single:after
.search-field:after
.search-choice-close:after
FWIW you could regexp-replace (font-family:[^;]+) with \1, sans-serif (adapt for whichever strain of regexps your editor uses), and then manually revert the three that didn't actually need to be changed.

edit: In fact the ones which require changing are the same two fonts in all cases, so you could simply do a global replace for each of the following:

* font-family: "FontAwesome";
* font-family: "Open Sans";

Heh, that's actually what I did before. :? Seems I may have saved over some of my changes/not uploaded them like I'd thought/undid them somehow. Thanks very much for pointing that out! I'll get it fixed. :)
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:52 pm
hm... interesting.
the misalinged hitbox for the "last unread post" occurs only for actual threads.
when i use the equivalent button on subforums its correctly aligned in the middle of the bar and aligned with the pictogram
interesting
Fixed. ...Probably.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: Edit my Profile, not so much

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:17 am
davidparadis wrote:Tried to edit my profile. It's not having it ;)

Apparently I have to enter my PC specs, and my youtube link was invalid: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrySGB ... dA96VCahJA

I'm betting the settings page hasn't been updated yet so it's in some sort of default mode?
All right, thanks! I'll look into it. In the meantime, I'm going to merge this with the main problem thread in Announcements.
Ah ya, this is a better place for this :)
Shoot ALL the things!

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm
Okay, Flatfingers, I was able to implement your addition. Adding things is considerably easier than changing them. :lol: Still slightly tricky (it did take me twenty minutes, after all) but overall... I think it works. You'll find it in a relatively unobtrusive location.

Haven't figured out how to remove the popup yet. Still working on that, but at least you can mark things as read again.
Wow, that was quick.

Looks good -- thank you!

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:56 pm
Yes, we did, and while I don't remember Josh's exact reason, I do remember he was not open to switching to it. Thanks for pointing it out, though! :)
Hey, point me to a discourse forum that is as functional and beautiful as ours and I'll switch. I don't think it's going to happen though; discourse has a fundamentally different philosophy and therefore gives a completely different forum experience. Personally, I don't find it at all conducive to the kind of community we have. I can see it being great for some uses. But the standard forum/subforum/thread/post model of organization seems very natural for a large forum like this one.

And after all, Tal and I have busted our butts getting phpBB3.2 set up this week :ghost:

PS ~ Over the next ~15-30 minutes I'm going to be doing some database things as well as migrating Talv's changes over to the normal style. You may experience some light bumpiness :) Thank you for your patience...
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:05 am
Hey, point me to a discourse forum that is as functional and beautiful as ours and I'll switch.
There's a dark theme? There's also a categories view that can be set as the default home page? I just find it great that it shows all the latest active threads from all forums, encourages people to participate more rather than sticking to a subset of their usual categories.
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time." —Tom Cargill

Daniel wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:40 am
JoshParnell wrote:
Hey, point me to a discourse forum that is as functional and beautiful as ours and I'll switch.
There's a dark theme? There's also a categories view that can be set as the default home page? I just find it great that it shows all the latest active threads from all forums, encourages people to participate more rather than sticking to a subset of their usual categories.
Difference of preference then, I suppose. I prefer to see the same, familiar structure as the root of the board. I don't mind an extra click to see latest / active / unread threads (phpBB does have those, btw, but currently they're a bit hidden, you have to click the button to the right of your profile icon in the top bar to bring down a menu -- making those more accessible is another change we'll be making).

but just for reference (and so everybody knows these things exist):

View New Posts
View Unread Posts
View Active Topics

BTW, that last one is actually "most recent posts", but condensed into topics (personally I prefer this over seeing this; it's very helpful to have most recent posts condensed especially when, for example, there are 20 posts in a thread about trains that would flood a the page if it weren't by topic). The last one (view active topics) is usually the first place I go if I'm just popping in quickly, else I browse by forum.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Daniel wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:40 am
JoshParnell wrote:
Um, personally I'd rather pass on that format. These forums are like most other game forums I've visited such as the /mwo forums and the planetside2 forums.

Chess.com being an exception.

JoshParnell wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:02 am
Difference of preference then, I suppose.
Yeah, fair enough. I didn't like it at first either, but then I started to use it and I saw the benefits.
BFett wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:02 am
Um, personally I'd rather pass on that format. These forums are like most other game forums I've visited such as the /mwo forums and the planetside2 forums.

Chess.com being an exception.
None of those are Discourse-powered forums. They're old-style forums.
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time." —Tom Cargill

Online Now