Return to “Announcements”

On the unexpected private message...

First off, I'd like to apologize. If you're reading this, there's a fair chance that you've received an unexpected PM-related email recently. Upon logging in to look at said PM, you probably realized that you couldn't find it because it had been deleted. I'll do my best to explain.

It seems Josh made a little oversight when he set up permissions for the forums, in that users were capable of PMing entire groups of users. This included "Newly Registered Users" - that is to say, forum members that have made fewer than five posts. One of our users accidentally clicked this option while sending a PM, resulting in over a thousand people receiving a rather unwarranted, unexpected message. This sent email notifications to everyone that had not disabled them in their control panel profile.

If you're annoyed by this, I'll apologize once more. This obviously something that should never have happened to begin with, and I'll be the first to acknowledge that. Rest assured the problem has been dealt with and is taken care of. It won't be happening again. :)

If you're curious about the state of LT and have been out of the loop for a significant period of time, Josh disappeared for a while due to a burnout, then came back for a while longer, then disappeared again because he was frustrated with getting the game to run at over 5 frames per second. Now that problem is fixed and game development is continuing normally, although he's having to rebuild it in C and Lua to get it to run at a high framerate. (His target is 60 FPS and so far, he's hitting it easily.) He demo'd it at PAX South a few months ago, and several other smaller places since. Beta isn't out yet, but we're steadily working our way in that direction. He's hired me as his community manager, and is looking to hire an intern in the near future to help with some of the code. Things are shaping up. :) We recently updated the main site, too.

If you're curious about the title of the message ("Your presence in IRC is noticed"), we have an official IRC channel. The server is irc.gamesurge.net and the channel is #limittheory. We're very active there. I'm on there all the time, so if you have any questions to ask that you'd rather be answered in real time, hit me up! Otherwise, feel free to post here, or send me a PM.

~ Nathan
Re: On the unexpected private message...

It was not you, Jan. You're fine. :)

Aiha - I'm surprised you got one, if you did. You weren't in the "Newly Registered Users" group. :D We'd always love to see you back in IRC though. Your absence hasn't gone unnoticed. (Except by DV, apparently, so Taiya's likely to barrage you with pictures of kittens when you say hello. Apologies in advance.)

Edit: I've been informed you were the intended recipient, actually, so it was indeed aimed at you. :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:It was not you, Jan. You're fine. :)

Aiha - I'm surprised you got one, if you did. You weren't in the "Newly Registered Users" group. :D We'd always love to see you back in IRC though. Your absence hasn't gone unnoticed. (Except by DV, apparently, so Taiya's likely to barrage you with pictures of kittens when you say hello. Apologies in advance.)
Phew. :monkey:

@Aiha: That's, even more, a reason! ALL THE KITTIES!
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Dinosawer wrote:
JanB1 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Jan - the person who did it knows they did it, don't worry :ghost:
Oh. Good. Wait...was it you? :ghost:
No, I just know who it is because Saoirse got one as well.
And they panicked about it in irc. Mostly that actually :ghost:
Oh. Well then. :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now