Return to “Announcements”

Welcome Talvieno, Official Limit Theory Community Manager!

Greetings LT forumers!

Those of you who have spent any substantial amount of time here have no doubt encountered Talvieno at some point or another. It's hard not to notice his outstanding and inexhaustible dedication to making the Limit Theory Forums a better place. In fact, it's no secret that a lot of you even wish for him to have more power ('Talv for president!') Well, you've already read the title, so you can guess what's coming ;) Before we get to that part, however, I'd like to take a moment to recognize the myriad ways in which Talvieno has made the (LT)world a better place -- some of you may not know about all of them; indeed, even I had to have an IRC chat with him just to make sure I had everything down right...it's awfully hard to keep up with all the things this guy does! Things like...

• ...building Taiya, our favorite resident Limit Theory forum & IRC RSS feed bot. For those who don't know Taiya, she's not only a sweetheart of an IRC chat bot with a boatload of neat functions, she's also the toughest forum policewoman in existence. We get hit by, on average, 2-3 new bot registrations a day (which is down a bit from previous months, where it peaked around 15/day). A lot of these bots post spam topics. Taiya shuts them down almost instantly, banning those poor bots of lesser intellect than her and moving the spam to a hidden 'trash' sub-forum where mods and I can look at it later. There's no telling how many bans Taiya has issued, nor how many spam threads she's killed. She's made my life so much easier! Thanks Taiya!

...running the Limit Theory Fan Competition, an awesome idea started way back in the day by the legendary Katorone and re-ignited by none other than Talvieno. The current LTFC ends this Saturday, so check it out if you want to participate (there are prizes!)

...conceiving of and running REKT, an incredibly-impressive forum-based RPG whose main thread ran for 181 pages and over 2700 posts. If you've ever wondered just how intense, creative, and amazing roleplaying on a forum can get, you need only take a peek at the REKT wiki, which is both a triumph of creativity and an inspiration to me. Talvieno informed me that most of the wiki is actually attributed to the hard work of Dinosawer, so hats off to him!

...starting a novel based on the Limit Theory Universe, entitled Small Choices. The existing chapters are, in my opinion, very impressive, even though Talvieno has told me that he feels the same way about Small Choices that I feel about code I wrote a long time ago :shifty: Sadly, he didn't have enough time to devote to the project, so Small Choices has been discontinued in favor of redirecting more effort toward the other three million projects he's got going on :ghost:

...creating an LT IRC-Based RPG, which is currently under development and whose progress I am keenly interested in following! Talv may just end up creating LT before I do... :wtf: Seriously, check this one out. It's awesome. Incidentally, the game is played through (and GM'd by) the ever-talented Taiya!

...heading up Hawkspears, an 'LT Community DF Succession Game.' I'll admit that, since I've (regrettably) never sunk time into Dwarf Fortress, I don't really understand what's going on here...but the screenshots are pretty and the whole thing is just one more example of Talvieno starting a creative project that engages and excites the LT community!

...creating and maintaining the Limit Theory Email/RSS News Thread, an aggregation of my 'important' posts since the time when they started to become...scarce. This helpful thread has allowed people to easily track a sometimes-difficult-to-track developer :oops:
---

All of that is on top of his normal moderator duties. Suffice it to say, Talvieno has worked very hard for and has no doubt earned the title of Limit Theory Community Manager. As of a few weeks ago, I offered him the position and he accepted, but we've been keeping it under wraps until I had the chance to make this post. Finally, it's time!

As CM, Talvieno will continue his normal duties as moderator, but will also act as a point-of-contact between me and the LT community & backers, helping me reduce time spent on activities that aren't directly-related to getting Limit Theory out of the door. For example, I was tempted to ask him to write this post and announce his own CMship, as a demonstration of the time that he would be saving me :ghost: I decided, however, that the least I can do is spend a bit of time on this post considering how much he's already helped. Talvieno has also offered to help with maintaining the website, writing up the aggregation of weekly dev logs for Kickstarter updates, helping handle social media, etc. All of this will result in more time spent on me building LT. It's been said many times before by you guys that I need to get some other hands on-board to help bring Limit Theory to fruition. While I've discussed the difficulties of doing so in the coding department, arguments against hiring an official community manager to help handle the social facets of LT were essentially nonexistent, especially in light of already having the perfect candidate for the job. Well, here you have it!

I wouldn't feel right about this post if I didn't also take a moment to recognize the other LT forum moderators, all of whom have made my life tremendously easier over the course of development. Sincerely, thank you to Bele, DWMagus, Gazz, Grumblesaur, and Just_Ice_Au, our fantastic moderator team. In promoting Talvieno to CM, I absolutely do not want to overlook or belittle the enormous contributions that our other moderators have made to the community! Thank you guys :)

---

So, without further hesitation, please give it up for Talvieno, now the official Community Manager for Limit Theory! :clap:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
Re: Welcome Talvieno, Official Limit Theory Community Manage

I mean true, he gets more work, but it's also a paid position! He now makes in excess of a million JoshBucks annually! Further financial disclosures are not public at this time.

JoshBucks are redeemable for USD with a 1:1 exchange rate only in the (unlikely) event that Josh becomes very wealthy and successful :V

JoshParnell wrote:I mean true, he gets more work, but it's also a paid position! He now makes in excess of a million JoshBucks annually! Further financial disclosures are not public at this time.

JoshBucks are redeemable for USD with a 1:1 exchange rate only in the (unlikely) event that Josh becomes very wealthy and successful :V
:3

This is a legally binding statement.
I hope you are aware of this. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

BFett wrote:Congrats Talvieno. Does this mean that the weekly updates are coming to an end? Or will Talvieno be sharing them with us every so often?
No, I'll still be doing weekly(ish) updates as promised. It's possible that I might ask Talvieno to fill in / flesh out one if, for whatever reason, I get particularly swamped one week. While the devlogs are still my responsibility, Talv will ideally be handling the other things that chew up time :)

Online Now