Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory @ PAX South!

I feel that this update and the previous one should've been told as official Kickstarter updates as well. Don't leave those people in the dark.

Yes, there will definitely be angry comments underneath, but can you blame them?
Last official communication on there was from September 2015! (1.5 years ago!)

If this community is going to get a community manager (be it official or unofficial) he or she will have his work cut out on the Kickstarter front.
avatar made from a photo by abbyreed

madjo wrote:I feel that this update and the previous one should've been told as official Kickstarter updates as well. Don't leave those people in the dark.

Yes, there will definitely be angry comments underneath, but can you blame them?
I strongly agree with this.
If this community is going to get a community manager (be it official or unofficial) he or she will have his work cut out on the Kickstarter front.
That all depends on whether Josh is willing to share his Kickstarter account with the community manager in the first place. :P
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

HowSerendipitous wrote:S.... S..... S..... Scr-..... Screenshots...?

:twisted:
JoshParnell wrote:PS: Not to be a tease. But I'm going to be a tease (well, this is not really a big deal), but...I just had one of those beautiful moments where the proc generators surprised me. I found the most beautiful system I've ever seen in LT, ever. At least, in my opinion. I saved the seed number so I can revisit it and post screenshots sometime :)
:D
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

madjo wrote:I feel that this update and the previous one should've been told as official Kickstarter updates as well. Don't leave those people in the dark.

Yes, honestly it would have already happened shortly after the forum post if I weren't so caught up in preparing for PAX at the moment. I will definitely be getting to the KS folks soon, especially considering I've already done the brunt of the work.

PS ~ Dunno how but the stuff I've got currently runs at 60fps (medium-high settings) on my crapbook pro from 4 years ago with an Intel HD3000 (on linux nonetheless). No heavy logic, but at least I'm clearly pretty decent at graphics optimization by now :ghost: LuaJIT is scaring me because now I've invested so much code in it...I don't want to get my hopes up though... :(

Someone send me some sleep so I don't have to plzkthanks :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Yes, honestly it would have already happened shortly after the forum post if I weren't so caught up in preparing for PAX at the moment. I will definitely be getting to the KS folks soon, especially considering I've already done the brunt of the work.
How about a quick post telling Kickstarter backers that you're heading to PAX South?
That should generate confidence in those who don't visit the LT forums.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

JoshParnell wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:OK, Friday ticket purchased. I'll be there. :)
Seriously!? Wow, that's awesome, I look forward to meeting you Flatfingers :)
Likewise, sir.

And no need to stress about it (just in case). I won't issue any demands, and I won't take up much of your time. I just thought it might be nice to say hello in person, and to maybe get a quick peek at LT in its current work-in-progress form.

See you early tomorrow afternoon, then!
JoshParnell wrote:PS: Not to be a tease. But I'm going to be a tease (well, this is not really a big deal), but...I just had one of those beautiful moments where the proc generators surprised me. I found the most beautiful system I've ever seen in LT, ever. At least, in my opinion. I saved the seed number so I can revisit it and post screenshots sometime :)
Does this mean the universe generation algorithm won't be changing between now and when you get some screenshots? ;)

Flatfingers wrote:Likewise, sir.

And no need to stress about it (just in case). I won't issue any demands, and I won't take up much of your time. I just thought it might be nice to say hello in person, and to maybe get a quick peek at LT in its current work-in-progress form.
Phew...good...I can't remember the last time I wasn't at this keyboard, but I'm still not where I want to be (even pragmatic Josh I mean, I'm still probably several hours away from 'fun' and I need to leave soon!). Imagine I'll hit my stride by Saturday. Think I may put 'day one, day two, grand finale' as subtitles under the Limit Theory menu screen :P
Great!
FlatFingers wrote:Does this mean the universe generation algorithm won't be changing between now and when you get some screenshots? ;)
Likely not. I'll personally show you system 3731653521 tomorrow (I will probably hand-pick some of my favorite system like I did for LTP so that we don't get ugly ones, even though that doesn't happen too much anymore. That system will definitely be on the list!) And will put it up for screenshots after. It's really just the background that caught my eye...it's one of the most memorable and stunning combinations of interesting nebula formations and fantastic color choices that I've ever seen from the algorithm. There's not a whole lot else to the system since...system generation is, you know, bottlenecked by me trying to throw everything into LuaJIT :ghost:

JoshParnell wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Likewise, sir.

Phew...good...I can't remember the last time I wasn't at this keyboard, but I'm still not where I want to be (even pragmatic Josh I mean, I'm still probably several hours away from 'fun' and I need to leave soon!). Imagine I'll hit my stride by Saturday. Think I may put 'day one, day two, grand finale' as subtitles under the Limit Theory menu screen :P
Great!
FlatFingers wrote:Does this mean the universe generation algorithm won't be changing between now and when you get some screenshots? ;)
Likely not. I'll personally show you system 3731653521 tomorrow (I will probably hand-pick some of my favorite system like I did for LTP so that we don't get ugly ones, even though that doesn't happen too much anymore. That system will definitely be on the list!) And will put it up for screenshots after. It's really just the background that caught my eye...it's one of the most memorable and stunning combinations of interesting nebula formations and fantastic color choices that I've ever seen from the algorithm. There's not a whole lot else to the system since...system generation is, you know, bottlenecked by me trying to throw everything into LuaJIT :ghost:

Woo! Flat, get photos with Josh, prove that he isn't a bot! :D

Josh, heres an idea for later, a test bed, a single camera orbiting a star, every two seconds you increment the system seed by 1 (starting at 0), and regenerate it, the camera orbits the central point of the system (the star) at like a tenth of a degree per 2 seconds or something.

Put that on a machine you arent using for a few hours, and upload the resulting footage as either a live stream, or as a YT Video.

Would be amazing to sit there and just marvel at the universe you generate. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Haron wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Likely not. I'll personally show you system 3731653521 tomorrow ...
I'm curious if you have ever tried systems with a small seeds like 0, 1, 2, ... and how do they look like? I'm guessing it should be either empty or ugly ones.
No, there's (theoretically) no correlation. I can't look at a seed and tell anything about what it will do. The seed goes in as an input seed to the well-known and commonly-used Mersenne Twister algorithm, which is a high-quality random generator. So that number basically gets me a random generator from which I can then draw anything random that I need to draw. But systems 0 and 1 will not look weird or anything, nor particularly different from high-number systems (though I'll go check system 0 right now just in case, never know, could have implemented the algorithm incorrectly.. :ghost: )
Silverware wrote:Woo! Flat, get photos with Josh, prove that he isn't a bot! :D

Josh, heres an idea for later, a test bed, a single camera orbiting a star, every two seconds you increment the system seed by 1 (starting at 0), and regenerate it, the camera orbits the central point of the system (the star) at like a tenth of a degree per 2 seconds or something.

Put that on a machine you arent using for a few hours, and upload the resulting footage as either a live stream, or as a YT Video.

Would be amazing to sit there and just marvel at the universe you generate. :D
Pffft too easy :geek: Surely you guys want to see some AI and weapons and stuff :squirrel:

Online Now