Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory @ PAX South!

Oh jesus yes!

This day gets better and better!
First Prey is 6 months and 6 days earlier than I was anticipating, and then you come out and break all the barriers with this! :D

Trucking A! :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

BFett wrote:If anyone in the community gets to play the game, please get some video of it and maybe some feedback. I'd love to hear what people think of LT! :D
Josh! Livestream the video, so that as new people play it at PAX, other people can watch them play via Twitch or something!

If PAX doesnt provide intertubes, then instead, record the video, and upload it afterwards. :D

It'll let your backers who can't attend be a part of the excitement at least. :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

I have to say: Josh's long return post didn't really do it for me. In fact the purple prose (the terrible RAM analogy, the whole "FPLT" designation, the different kinds of Josh, etc.) left me with an impression that LT would never be finished.

But an actual demo that he's willing to show to people and letting them play it is clearly a very good sign. Having decided to do the right and respectable thing by putting his work out there for people to see and judge, Josh has restored my interest in LT.

Well well well, this is a turn up for the books, not one but TWO joshposts in a week!

Who are you and what have you done with the real Josh?

Actually, scratch that, this new Josh is great. Can we keep him?

Anyway good luck to you Josh 2.0 at the expo. Can't wait for another joshpost about how it all goes!

HowSerendipitous wrote:S.... S..... S..... Scr-..... Screenshots...?

:twisted:
I think pics and video of people demoing LT at PAX South would be a very welcome thing here. Josh, any chance of getting a FRAPs-type recording of all gameplay happening at PAX on the machine, which you release more-or-less unedited to YouTube or here?

Edit: ninja'd by everyone. Well whatever, looks like we share the same idea. Josh: UN edited, please! We can skip if we find something boring, but no reason we shouldn't see what the demo-ers see.

kaeroku wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:S.... S..... S..... Scr-..... Screenshots...?

:twisted:
I think pics and video of people demoing LT at PAX South would be a very welcome thing here. Josh, any chance of getting a FRAPs-type recording of all gameplay happening at PAX on the machine, which you release more-or-less unedited to YouTube or here?

Edit: ninja'd by everyone. Well whatever, looks like we share the same idea. Josh: UN edited, please! We can skip if we find something boring, but no reason we shouldn't see what the demo-ers see.
Definitely not FRAPs, that's horrible software, if you want to do it, check out OBS Studio.
Faster, and opener.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Wonderful news.

I admit I was surprised by a new post with such momentous new info in it, so soon after the recent treatise.

Josh, let me reiterate what many have said since your last re-emergence post... Less IS more, among your friends here. Of course we'll read a wall of text as easily as a note, and appreciate the details. Just remember, you do not need to astound, in words or deeds, for your communication to be worthwhile on the LT forum. We'd rather have you coding than word smithing :angel:

Good luck during the show! Drink lots of water :thumbup: and soak up the excitement of sharing your dream with the masses!

Thanks guys, I thought this would lift spirits a bit and I'm glad it seems to be doing so.

Please do keep in mind that what I will be demoing will not be "Limit Theory" in the full sense (again, if I could do that, we'd be in beta). So let's not get TOO hyped up, you're not going to see 1000 ships & a full economy working (remember I'm still working up to that point with the LuaJIT implementation). It's going to be small in functionality, smaller than the prototype (of course, unlike the prototype, it's up-to-date with respect to graphics, engine components, etc.) I will probably cheat in a few places where I'm not ready with LuaJIT (physics... :shifty:)

So. Just wanted to slip that disclaimer in there....but...

That being said! It is irrefutable evidence that I have a pretty sweet LT core library and the ability to use it to build stuff very quickly with the right language setup (I'm flying through Lua code ATM, of course the concern is still whether it will handle the 'big' stuff), and that I've been working my @$$ off :monkey: I'll basically be telling people 'yeah, a good programmer would be able to use the LT modding tools to throw something like this together in a week or two.'

As per videos / screens, yes, I specifically asked if one of the admins had a camera to take photos and video during the expo, and one does. Personally I don't have anything I can do it with, but I'm sure our guy will get some good material (after all, he's the marketing guy for LTP (Louisiana Tech Park, not Limit Theory Prototype :ghost:), so he wants to show off that people in LTP are doing cool stuff). And of course I will be happy to post some screenshots of whatever it ends up looking like.
jwmickelson wrote:Josh, let me reiterate what many have said since your last re-emergence post... Less IS more, among your friends here. Of course we'll read a wall of text as easily as a note, and appreciate the details. Just remember, you do not need to astound, in words or deeds, for your communication to be worthwhile on the LT forum. We'd rather have you coding than word smithing :angel:

Good luck during the show! Drink lots of water :thumbup: and soak up the excitement of sharing your dream with the masses!
Thank you :)
kaeroku wrote:I think pics and video of people demoing LT at PAX South would be a very welcome thing here. Josh, any chance of getting a FRAPs-type recording of all gameplay happening at PAX on the machine, which you release more-or-less unedited to YouTube or here?
I'm not going to risk doing a live capture while people are playing, it's possible that I'll already be pushing the machine pretty hard :ghost: But I will consider doing an unedited and most definitely not three-days-in-the-works capture of it when I get back. Maybe. Screenshots are almost a given (but remember, with me there's always that 1% :silent:
mcsven wrote::o You'd have gotten decent odds on Josh demoing LT at a show a week ago! 8-)
No kidding. I'd have bet money against it three months ago when I signed up. Which is exactly why I signed up, because I knew it would light a fire of newfound intensity under my coding chair :monkey:
alpan wrote:I have to say: Josh's long return post didn't really do it for me. In fact the purple prose (the terrible RAM analogy, the whole "FPLT" designation, the different kinds of Josh, etc.) left me with an impression that LT would never be finished.

But an actual demo that he's willing to show to people and letting them play it is clearly a very good sign. Having decided to do the right and respectable thing by putting his work out there for people to see and judge, Josh has restored my interest in LT.
Hey now, what's wrong with the paging analogy?? I thought it a quite accurate one...it's how my brain felt, the same as when my computers starts using > 4GB and dies. Glad you're interested again though :)
Mistycica wrote:Josh introduces his new Sunday logs and instantly breaks the promise :ghost:
Boy don't make me slap you upside the hull with a twenty-petajoule blast from my pulse weaponry :P
BFett wrote:If anyone in the community gets to play the game, please get some video of it and maybe some feedback. I'd love to hear what people think of LT! :D
Just be nice about it :angel:

---

Yes, I did feel the need to randomly reply to a lot of people to have a quick break from the codetrain. Back to it.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

As a small time lurker of LT since mid-hype train pre dark days, I felt it necessary to finally register from this post alone. Josh, I'm super excited for you! You're back on the rails, you're getting things done and you aren't sugar coating a second of it, and it really has brought back my hopes of actually getting to play this some time in the future. This isn't the Josh we wanted, this is the Josh we NEEDED, and I can tell it's breathing new life into the community again. Thank you for all of your hard work, all the trials you had to go through, the good times and the bad times. I feel like my patient waiting has finally paid off in some regard, so thank you, thank you for not letting this dream die like so many others before you. I believe in you man. Good luck and have fun at PAX! :D

Online Now