Return to “Announcements”

Re: The State of Limit Theory Development, 2017 Edition!

Hey Josh,

I hope I'm not the one that turned you on to the LTSL thing w/ this post: http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2062
You responded with "I definitely wonder what LT would look like had it been written functionally from the beginning.", and then not long after you wrote a functional programming language for LT :).

If that's the case I'm sorry about that :)

I believe I almost completely understand what you're going through. I've taken a similar path of struggle with a side project I've been working on for over 8 years. Fortunately for me I didn't have a kickerstarter community to answer to. I can't imagine the stress that adds. During that time (in 2009) I also cofounded a (now) 12-person mobile game studio with an office in both Portland and Santa Monica called Brainium Studios (http://brainiumstudios.com).

I've been following your progress off and on and I am a big fan of what you're hoping to achieve and how you think. I would like to help if there's anything I can do. For example I can offer you a complementary desk in our office with an ocean view if it would help to work with other people around. It can help keep an even keel to be surrounded w/ people you can bounce ideas off and go to lunch w/ etc. Maybe even just a working vacation in Santa Monica? I know that sort of thing helps me focus. I can even help w/ travel expenses, etc. Email me if there's anything I can do: jake@brainiumstudios.com. To be clear I'm not looking to get something out of it, I just get inspired by people who reach for excellence and want to see if there's anything I can do to help.

Btw over the past 6mo I finally am emerging from the R&D period of my side project, there is hope!

0joshuaolson1 wrote:@JoshParnell - That's really interesting that you're moving away from C++. Have you heard the Terra programming language? It lets you optimize things at compile time like C++ can only dream. It's also one of very few languages that can use C libraries directly.
Dear god this looks closer to what I've been wanting than virtually anything I've seen yet. No, I hadn't seen this, but am now reading with great curiosity. Trying not to get too excited...:ghost:

Seriously, thanks for bringing it to my attention!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

maybe it has been brought to your attention before but..

are you aware of Jonathan Blows effort to create his own programming language for games to replace C++ ?

it is so far only shown off in youtube videos but hoping i can trust jb's deadline.. it will be released before 2018
and it seems like a pretty good solution to write a clear core engine and maybe even the gameplay

plus with the ability to eventually load the jai compiler as library you could use it as scripting language and reload code / recompile ingame

i would certainly recommend checking out his youtube channel, he does a lot of programming streams, both compiler programming as well as using his language
https://www.youtube.com/user/jblow888

PS: Jonathan Blow made games like "Braid" and "The Wittness" both very good (both gameplay and performance) and somewhat unique puzzle games

JoshParnell wrote:
0joshuaolson1 wrote:@JoshParnell - That's really interesting that you're moving away from C++. Have you heard the Terra programming language? It lets you optimize things at compile time like C++ can only dream. It's also one of very few languages that can use C libraries directly.
Dear god this looks closer to what I've been wanting than virtually anything I've seen yet. No, I hadn't seen this, but am now reading with great curiosity. Trying not to get too excited...:ghost:

no! no! bad josh! CLOSE THAT BROWSER TAB RIGHT NOW!
:ghost:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:

no! no! bad josh! CLOSE THAT BROWSER TAB RIGHT NOW!
:lol: I'm glad I found something that excites you. I think of it as Lua-like Nim but way simpler. You can choose which programming language features to add (if any).

Cornflakes_91 wrote:no! no! bad josh! CLOSE THAT BROWSER TAB RIGHT NOW!
? It's a Lua package, it would mean I get to keep all my code...

Considering LuaJIT + multithreading is basically not happening (based on today's experiences), it seems an appropriate thing to explore :V
0joshuaolson1 wrote: :lol: I'm glad I found something that excites you. I think of it as Lua-like Nim but way simpler. You can choose which programming language features to add (if any).
Indeed, and it may be coming at exactly the right time too...we'll see :monkey:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote: ? It's a Lua package, it would mean I get to keep all my code...
Yeah sure,
"Oh hey this shiny feature could really be useful here and here and here, and that shiny feature there and there, REWRITE ALL THE THINGS
JoshParnell wrote: Considering LuaJIT + multithreading is basically not happening (based on today's experiences), it seems an appropriate thing to explore :V
:cry:
*shakes fist at scripting interpreters*
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now