Development Update #1: January 2013

Read and discuss the latest big updates in the development process.

Re: About the RTS interface

Postby jimhsu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 am

Rabiator wrote:Josh, I understand it is very early code, so this is not meant to disparage your efforts. But I noticed the grid in the RTS interface turns into a homogenous blue mass if you zoom out far enough. What about every n-th line being a different colour (and painted after/overwriting the blue ones, so it will not be drowned in blue when zoomed out)?

Repeat for really large views with yet other colors. Say,
  • every 10th line in green and overwriting blue when things becone crowded
  • every 100th line in yellow and overwriting green
  • every 1000th line in red and overwriting yellow
Also, I think Asmodai's ideas have merit too.


3ds max does the 10:1 thing, but with the same gridlines to avoid visual confusion. You could easily put a scale bar or a google maps-like zoom bar though.
jimhsu
Commander
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:03 am

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Gunther Haldan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 am

I just re watched the Developement Update for January and I noticed something. And this may be trivial but when the fighter was passing through the capitol ships shield from the out side, you got a nice spash effect from the shield. But when the fighter passed out of the shield, nothing happened. When the fighter shot at the shield, you got the same effect whether the fighter was outside or inside the shield. Shouldn't you get the same effect from the fighter when it passes out of the shield as you get passing through the shield from the outside?
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.
User avatar
Gunther Haldan
Commander
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm
Location: Sugar Hill, Ga USA

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Katorone » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:32 pm

This splash was caused by weapons fire right at the moment the fighter entered the shields.

But, I'd love it if ships would actually make a splash like this when touching other ships' shields.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
User avatar
Katorone
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:08 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Gunther Haldan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:39 pm

You may be right, but it sure looked like the ship caused the splash effect.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.
User avatar
Gunther Haldan
Commander
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm
Location: Sugar Hill, Ga USA

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby happyguy142 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 am

My only problem with their being a splash when the fighter leaves the shield is wouldn't that mean there would have to be a splash every time a weapon was fired from the ship?
User avatar
happyguy142
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby DWMagus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 am

happyguy142 wrote:My only problem with their being a splash when the fighter leaves the shield is wouldn't that mean there would have to be a splash every time a weapon was fired from the ship?


I'm sure it can be tweaked to ignore splash when the originating ship is firing.

However, this brings up another (possible) issue.

I would almost request a light iridescent hue for the shield regardless of whether or not it is being shot at. This way, if I have a big capital ship, I don't have to wonder about why some of the smaller fighters are hitting my ship from certain distances because I forgot to decrease the radius of the shield (ref: shield size vs. shield strength notes).

I still want the splash effect, but I don't want to have to wonder (especially if it's me trying to protect against others) whether or not fighters are inside my shield. It's hard for me to remember where I put my shields sometimes. :?
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Havear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:37 am

Maybe a holographic toggle? I can see definite uses both in the real view and the command interface. Something I just thought of: what do shields do if they hit an object rather than the object hitting them? Will I be able to "ram" small 'roids with my shields or do they just pass through?
Havear
Ensign
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Soler » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm

At about 7 minutes into the development update video, you can clearly see that his ship is firing and hitting the shield from inside the capital ship's shield, so my guess would be that fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield, but all other does as DWMagus said.
Soler
Ensign
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby JoshParnell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:58 pm

DWMagus wrote:
happyguy142 wrote:My only problem with their being a splash when the fighter leaves the shield is wouldn't that mean there would have to be a splash every time a weapon was fired from the ship?


I'm sure it can be tweaked to ignore splash when the originating ship is firing.

However, this brings up another (possible) issue.

I would almost request a light iridescent hue for the shield regardless of whether or not it is being shot at. This way, if I have a big capital ship, I don't have to wonder about why some of the smaller fighters are hitting my ship from certain distances because I forgot to decrease the radius of the shield (ref: shield size vs. shield strength notes).

I still want the splash effect, but I don't want to have to wonder (especially if it's me trying to protect against others) whether or not fighters are inside my shield. It's hard for me to remember where I put my shields sometimes. :?


It's a good point, will take it into consideration!

Soler wrote:At about 7 minutes into the development update video, you can clearly see that his ship is firing and hitting the shield from inside the capital ship's shield, so my guess would be that fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield, but all other does as DWMagus said.


Correct, only fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield. I can think of technobabble explanations if you require them :P
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
User avatar
JoshParnell
Developer
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:06 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Katorone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 pm

JoshParnell wrote:Correct, only fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield. I can think of technobabble explanations if you require them :P


Shield frequencies of course! :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
User avatar
Katorone
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:08 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby kone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Katorone wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Correct, only fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield. I can think of technobabble explanations if you require them :P


Shield frequencies of course! :D


Wait, 'technobabble' is not a clean implementation!
When the cap-ship weapons are firing from within the shield and can just pass through it, there should be a nice effect on the shield, no?
A very short shield-hole, or maybe the shield gets green at the point where the own shot is passing through? Come on! ;)
kone
Ensign
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 am

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Gazz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am

Technobabble is the best implementation.
The chance of follow-up bugs is insignificant!
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
User avatar
Gazz
Moderator
 
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 am
Location: In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby HowSerendipitous » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Curses, no dinner and development video combo this month! :lol:
Image
User avatar
HowSerendipitous
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 pm
Location: In the tree. With the nuts.

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby JoshParnell » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:35 pm

HowSerendipitous wrote:Curses, no dinner and development video combo this month! :lol:


Sorry, my body protested the recent lack of sleep, and I ended up oversleeping my release target :( I'll do better next month!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
User avatar
JoshParnell
Developer
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:06 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby HowSerendipitous » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 pm

JoshParnell wrote:
HowSerendipitous wrote:Curses, no dinner and development video combo this month! :lol:


Sorry, my body protested the recent lack of sleep, and I ended up oversleeping my release target :( I'll do better next month!


Not to worry, you did good! 8-)
Image
User avatar
HowSerendipitous
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 pm
Location: In the tree. With the nuts.

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blairvoyach and 8 guests