Development Update #1: January 2013

Read and discuss the latest big updates in the development process.

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby happyguy142 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 pm

Love love love the RTS interface!!! Also love how the turrets on the capital ship were bigger then your fighter :D Cannot wait till the prototype is released!!! Keep up the amazing work Josh!!!
User avatar
happyguy142
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby rickisen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Awesome Nebula/Backdrop generation!
Awesome smooth models and rounded corners! (gotta be carefull tough, Apple might sue =)
Awesome small particles!
Awesome RTS interface!
Awesome shading!
Awesome shape and textures on the astereoids!
Awesome interface design, (although the vignette effect should have more falloff)

Great ambient occlusion! (maybe a tiny bit too bright, but a hellof alot good anyway).
Great guns! (alltough they need more detail, and variation).

Good ship-textures. Looked great on the big ships. But not that good on the fighters.
Since alot of our ability to determine scale comes from percived level of detail theese
relativly small metal-plates doesn't quite feel right. And also the great difference
between the reflectivity and the darkness of the plates creates a small "zebra-effect".
But the "galvanized" feel of the shiny parts are awesome, altough it didn't scale
very good on the bigger ships.

But I'm impressed at how much progress you made in a month, I feel like a fat lazy slob compared to you...
rickisen
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:39 am

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby ToreadorVampire » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 am

Btw - is it only me who thought that the ship Josh was flying in this demo looked a lot like an X-wing with S-foils in flight position?

The turrets on that fighter also reminded me of a whole bundle of little R2 units :)
Nobody suspects a Toreador …
User avatar
ToreadorVampire
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:07 am
Location: UK

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Commander McLane » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:38 am

ToreadorVampire wrote:Btw - is it only me who thought that the ship Josh was flying in this demo looked a lot like an X-wing with S-foils in flight position?

The turrets on that fighter also reminded me of a whole bundle of little R2 units :)

I was actually thinking that it looked a lot like a Pirate Enterprise from EV Nova.
User avatar
Commander McLane
Commander
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Thiago » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 am

Really impressive indeed !!!

rickisen wrote:Awesome Nebula/Backdrop generation!
Awesome smooth models and rounded corners! (gotta be carefull tough, Apple might sue =)
Awesome small particles!
Awesome RTS interface!
Awesome shading!
Awesome shape and textures on the astereoids!
Awesome interface design, (although the vignette effect should have more falloff)

Great ambient occlusion! (maybe a tiny bit too bright, but a hellof alot good anyway).
Great guns! (alltough they need more detail, and variation).

Good ship-textures. Looked great on the big ships. But not that good on the fighters.
Since alot of our ability to determine scale comes from percived level of detail theese
relativly small metal-plates doesn't quite feel right. And also the great difference
between the reflectivity and the darkness of the plates creates a small "zebra-effect".
But the "galvanized" feel of the shiny parts are awesome, altough it didn't scale
very good on the bigger ships.

But I'm impressed at how much progress you made in a month, I feel like a fat lazy slob compared to you...


nuff'said !!!!
Thiago
Recruit
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:26 am

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby orlandu84 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Others have said it more aptly than I will, but thank you, Josh. In one month of development you have far outpaced what I would have guessed as being humanely possible;) The more I see Limit Theory progress, the more I think that Limit Theory will only be the first of many great things. Keep it up!
The short question: "What is truth?"
The short answer: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
User avatar
orlandu84
Ensign
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby darker70 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 am

Just Wow the holographic effect is stunning to behold safe to say in years to come we will mention your name in the same company as David Braben can't really give a bigger compliment than that really :D
User avatar
darker70
Captain
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby madjo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Josh, that looks really good. I'm very impressed, especially that RTS/Command interface. After watching that video for the first time, all I thought was: "NEED THAT GAME NOW!", and then I was watching it some more.

However, there were a few things that I noticed, but I realize that this is still very early code. When you changed the POV to first person, the ship seemed to fit in a smaller space than it could when you had the third person POV, when you were canyon-running the capital ship.
But that could be a matter of perspective. :)
avatar made from a photo by abbyreed
User avatar
madjo
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:47 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby JoshParnell » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:00 pm

madjo wrote:Josh, that looks really good. I'm very impressed, especially that RTS/Command interface. After watching that video for the first time, all I thought was: "NEED THAT GAME NOW!", and then I was watching it some more.

However, there were a few things that I noticed, but I realize that this is still very early code. When you changed the POV to first person, the ship seemed to fit in a smaller space than it could when you had the third person POV, when you were canyon-running the capital ship.
But that could be a matter of perspective. :)


Interesting, but it must be a perceptual thing...the ship doesn't change sizes, the camera just moves to a new position :?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
User avatar
JoshParnell
Developer
 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:06 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby madjo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Josh, I watched it again, and indeed, it's a perception thing on my end. I guess my eyes were deceiving me. but at around this mark you do clip through the ship for a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53CQpjfM ... age#t=862s

Other than that, i stand by my words: "I WANT THIS GAME NOW", but I'll be patient. Very curious about what gameplay elements you're going to add.
avatar made from a photo by abbyreed
User avatar
madjo
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:47 pm
Location: The Netherlands

About the RTS interface

Postby Rabiator » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Josh, I understand it is very early code, so this is not meant to disparage your efforts. But I noticed the grid in the RTS interface turns into a homogenous blue mass if you zoom out far enough. What about every n-th line being a different colour (and painted after/overwriting the blue ones, so it will not be drowned in blue when zoomed out)?

Repeat for really large views with yet other colors. Say,
  • every 10th line in green and overwriting blue when things becone crowded
  • every 100th line in yellow and overwriting green
  • every 1000th line in red and overwriting yellow
Also, I think Asmodai's ideas have merit too.
Rabiator
Captain
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Ubergumbie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Josh, I think it's amazing that your taking time to explain what your doing every month There arent alot of dev's like you anymore


By the way I have been looking for a game like this pretty much all my life Thank's :D
Ubergumbie
Recruit
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Ubergumbie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:40 pm

I completely agree with Rabiator the interface did just turn into a sort of blue phase or blob is that you just messing with the sensor stuff or is that a game bug?
Ubergumbie
Recruit
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Ubergumbie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:43 pm

The more I look at this game the more it looks like something peter monolux would do ... but better Keep up the amazing progress
Ubergumbie
Recruit
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Postby Rabiator » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 am

Ubergumbie wrote:I completely agree with Rabiator the interface did just turn into a sort of blue phase or blob is that you just messing with the sensor stuff or is that a game bug?

I think it is just that the blue lines have a fixed distance in simulated space, and when you look at them from far away, they melt together.
Services like Google Maps counter that by hiding more and more of the small details as you zoom out. I guess LT needs something similar.
Rabiator
Captain
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron