Return to “Announcements”

Re: The Full Story -- Now Available on KS!

Spoot1 wrote:Since you are still not awnsering on any messages I send you trough various mediums, I will repost what I once said:

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Postby Spoot1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:51 pm
It is good to know that you feel better and eager to go back to work some day.

As the days without updates passed so did my trust in you and this project. When I first saw LT I was highly inspiered and seduced by the beauty of the idea, so I put my pledge (77$ which is a lot of money for me ) trough kickstarter and after you reached your goal we both agreed on a contract which can be looked up in the kickstarter terms of use. As I respect your health concerns and your well being you have to respect me as the counterpart of the contract. This contract was highly disregarded ( https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use#section4 ) in not meeting the deadline (release is still in limbo) nor fullfilling your responsibilties towards me as a backer (communication,progress etc.). Therefore I would ask you very kind and with all due respect that I want to step back from the contract and would welcome it if you refund me (I can contact you on kickstarter to verify myself). I cannot beleive in nor support this project for the lack of the trust base I encountered when I put my plegde.

Sincerely Spoot
I don't think you will have luck with your request, see this topic: http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4714
However, I'd be happy to buy your pledge...that way you would get your money and both of us would be happy ;) (and according to your location we could settle things in german...which makes it a little bit easier.)
So, if you are interested send me a PM, maybe we can solve this :)

AbhChallenger wrote:You know. That might be an interesting way to market LT. You know about "Twitch Play's Pokemon" Perhaps you could write a mod for your own game that has the "player" run as an AI. But twitch chat serves as its decision process. If most of the chat says "Mine epic ore #2 in system alpha centari" The AI character will do so. The goal would be to get this AI character as rich and powerful as possible before trolls eventually lead the character to its death.

It might actually work. Eventually Twitch beat Pokemon Red. Apparently Twitch plays Dark Souls managed to actually beat the first boss.
That sounds like a pretty fantastic idea actually. Crowd-playing! Definitely after release though :) And since the AI in LT is already supposed to act like a player...I don't imagine there would be much technicality behind it, other than injecting twitch votes into the decision process of the AI.
Spoot1 wrote:Since you are still not awnsering on any messages I send you trough various mediums, I will repost what I once said:
Spoot, I have contacted you via KS messaging about your issue.
ThermalSpan wrote:Hello all, I am a long time lurker (much older than my account.)

Josh, as someone interested in the subject, I have some "heroes of computer science" in my mind. Among them are Ada Lovelace, Donald Knuth, Paul Erdos, Ronald Graham, John Conway, Grace Hopper, John Carmack, and Tarn Adams. I want you to know that you are one of those heroes to me.

Best of luck with limit theory. The journey is what's important. Length vs. Position and all that.
My goodness :shock: I'm humbled by that...seriously, thank you :) And welcome ye lurker! :wave:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
AbhChallenger wrote:You know. That might be an interesting way to market LT. You know about "Twitch Play's Pokemon" Perhaps you could write a mod for your own game that has the "player" run as an AI. But twitch chat serves as its decision process. If most of the chat says "Mine epic ore #2 in system alpha centari" The AI character will do so. The goal would be to get this AI character as rich and powerful as possible before trolls eventually lead the character to its death.

It might actually work. Eventually Twitch beat Pokemon Red. Apparently Twitch plays Dark Souls managed to actually beat the first boss.
That sounds like a pretty fantastic idea actually. Crowd-playing! Definitely after release though :) And since the AI in LT is already supposed to act like a player...I don't imagine there would be much technicality behind it, other than injecting twitch votes into the decision process of the AI.
Glad you like that idea! I will start a topic in the suggestion forum so others can post their ideas about it as well.

Yes, it's a cool thing to discuss. My first step for real-time LT displays in my office is just watching individual procedural assets being generated. After that, watching camera movement through random universes. Finally, watching the game through the eyes of a randomly-selected AI unit, as if someone were really playing the game 24/7!

Ah, pipe dreams.

JoshParnell wrote:Yes, it's a cool thing to discuss. My first step for real-time LT displays in my office is just watching individual procedural assets being generated. After that, watching camera movement through random universes. Finally, watching the game through the eyes of a randomly-selected AI unit, as if someone were really playing the game 24/7!

Ah, pipe dreams.
High CPU use 24/7. Al Gore hates you! :lol:

Those are very good goals for your office. A reminder that it is not about UI fanciness (Except for carriers. DON'T SCREW UP CARRIER UI DAMMIT!111!1 :D ) Its about gameplay, the experience, and a universe before being beaten with the nerf bat.

JoshParnell wrote: That sounds like a pretty fantastic idea actually. Crowd-playing! Definitely after release though :) And since the AI in LT is already supposed to act like a player...I don't imagine there would be much technicality behind it, other than injecting twitch votes into the decision process of the AI.
Well I suggest you spend a little while making it work :)
Instead of updates like we used to get we could simply have this to play with until the beta :V
Of course we would still want to hear from you, but I know I would be happy with a Twitch Plays LT instead of updates :D
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
JoshParnell wrote: That sounds like a pretty fantastic idea actually. Crowd-playing! Definitely after release though :) And since the AI in LT is already supposed to act like a player...I don't imagine there would be much technicality behind it, other than injecting twitch votes into the decision process of the AI.
Well I suggest you spend a little while making it work :)
Instead of updates like we used to get we could simply have this to play with until the beta :V
Of course we would still want to hear from you, but I know I would be happy with a Twitch Plays LT instead of updates :D
Well the issue with that is it would expose glaring balance issues to the public. Of course that is going to happen anyway when people play the beta on twtich. However, atleast it does not come from the official channel!

The game ought to have a balance pass or two first. Then the trolls can have at it!

Tho this belongs in its own topic. I will start it later today.

Talvieno wrote:I really like the whole twitch stream idea, regardless of whether there's a twitch-controlled AI behind it. :)
If Twtich Plays LT is even remotely as silly as Twitch Plays Pokemon. You might want to watch LT while you play LT.... Yo Dawg :)

Topic about it is up. http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4724 Please discuss the idea there so we can keep this topic free for me to complain that Josh has not made an update for over an hour! :crazy:

Flatfingers wrote:
ThermalSpan wrote:I have some "heroes of computer science" in my mind. Among them are Ada Lovelace, Donald Knuth, Paul Erdos, Ronald Graham, John Conway, Grace Hopper, John Carmack, and Tarn Adams. I want you to know that you are one of those heroes to me.
I am sad that this list didn't include John von Neumann, who basically invented the modern understanding of computers and computer science.

Well. OK, not all that sad. But a little sad.
Eek no Bool, no Babbage (although I see Ada there, nice touch), no Turin I guess there's loads more and I also guess there's load of other unsung heroes.

I used to say (some 20 years ago) that coders would end up being the Rock Stars of the future. Still waiting ...

Flatfingers wrote:Other than maybe John Carmack, I can't think of many coders I'd call rock stars.
If someone ever calls me 'rock star' / 'hacker' / 'code ninja' or anything of the sort to my face, I'll...

...smile, thank them, and increment my internal rage counter by the appropriate amount.

Now if they call me a monkey... love++ :monkey:

JoshParnell wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:Other than maybe John Carmack, I can't think of many coders I'd call rock stars.
If someone ever calls me 'rock star' / 'hacker' / 'code ninja' or anything of the sort to my face, I'll...

...smile, thank them, and increment my internal rage counter by the appropriate amount.

Now if they call me a monkey... love++ :monkey:
you have to hack the mainframe

Online Now