Return to “Announcements”

Re: The Beginning of the Golden Days!

IronDuke wrote:It applies to Frontier. Not Josh.
Alas, it doesn't even apply to Frontier so much in the case of Elite: Horizons (and not in a good way).
For those who haven't heard, Frontier's latest shenanigans involves the revelation - buried in a dev post on the forums, nowhere else - that the Horizons expansion that allows planetary landing, won't be available on Mac because of technical difficulties.

Where Frontier's behaviour diverges from this comic strip, is that they haven't actually said they'll do anything about it, just that it's not happening.

More and more I wish for Braben's milk to turn sour before he gets his first coffee of the morning.
--
Mind The Gap

Victor Tombs wrote:I'm sorely tempted to comment, Ringu, but it wouldn't be good for my present serene state of mind. ;) :angel:
I tried to word that post as gently as I could, knowing the effect it might have on your Zen, my friend: as a devoted Mac user/developer of many years standing and someone with the lifetime pass to E:D expansions, this is big horrible news for me but I wasn't sure if you would be affected.
--
Mind The Gap

Ringu wrote:I tried to word that post as gently as I could, knowing the effect it might have on your Zen, my friend: as a devoted Mac user/developer of many years standing and someone with the lifetime pass to E:D expansions, this is big horrible news for me but I wasn't sure if you would be affected.
I could tell that you had made efforts to be gentle, Ringu, and I thank you for that. :)

I backed on KS at founding member of ‘The Elite’ level which included everything in the way of expansions. Although whether that's still the case I'm not sure as it's been some time since I last bothered to inform myself of the latest shenanigans of FDEV.

My interest is only likely to be reawakened if I hear rumours of a single player offline game being announced. But I can easily see the Kilrathi invading the Star Citizen universe before that happens. Nowadays breath holding is not high on my priority list as far as E:D is concerned. :angel:
Last edited by Victor Tombs on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talvieno wrote:I think it makes fun of devs and "fans" alike.
I'd say "devs" and "fans", in the sense that any decent devs should know that their consumers value honesty and transparency, and any decent fans know that devs sometimes make mistakes.

This is parodying the "devs" that seem to think they can make a AAAAA-game that literally simulates every single aspect of the entire universe in six weeks, completely ignoring any outside input in doing so, and the "fans" that actually believe what the "devs" say. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Ringu wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:Kilrathi invading the Star Citizen universe
Is it wrong that that line made my spine tingle? :-p
Certainly not, Ringu, I had similar feelings when I wrote the line. ;) I have no idea how involved you are or have been with CR's games over the years but I loved the envelope pushing frustration of the titles he produced as much as I did the early Elite games. I would have been so happy to see the Kilrathi return in his latest blockbuster. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:I have no idea how involved you are or have been with CR's games over the years but I loved the envelope pushing frustration of the titles he produced as much as I did the early Elite games. I would have been so happy to see the Kilrathi return in his latest blockbuster. :angel:
I started working as a developer in 1985, fresh out of the UK's A-level colleges. As a school boy, I'd played all of the first computer games, including Elite and my favourite, Starship Command, and even contributed some code to a few of them.
I built some of the first PC compatible machines in the UK, and because of that, was hooked on MS' Flight Simulator for months.
But when Wing Commander came out... I was knocked on the floor. It was like nothing I'd ever imagined, and the whole series captured my attention for years.

I'm an SC backer purely because seeing the Salthi always bank to the left gave me such a sense of immersion and secret knowledge, it directly fed into my somewhat OCD need to complete games :-)

With the tech SC is using and planning on, at least some Kilrathi adventure would put me in gamer heaven!
--
Mind The Gap

I knew there were several good reasons why I like you, Ringu. Those are impressive credentials, my friend. :thumbup:

I doubt if I would have backed SC as fervently and extensively as I have if it hadn't been for the Wing Commander/ Privateer/ Strike Commander games. And although Freelancer was taken out of CR's hands at the end I still give him the credit for it as it was his idea. There are several pioneers who deserve my thanks for giving me a real taste for space. :)

Unfortunately, it does look unlikely that we will see the Kilrathi in any new adventures from CR. :(

As you know I'm not a developer but I can and do appreciate the joy that such talented individuals can bring to the lives of gamers like myself. :D

It's one of the reasons why I'm here enjoying the Golden Days of Josh, the coding warrior. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:Unfortunately, it does look unlikely that we will see the Kilrathi in any new adventures from CR. :(
It's one of the reasons why I'm here enjoying the Golden Days of Josh, the coding warrior. :angel:
I'll always hold out hope for an expansion or something, or maybe even mod'ers!

But that is an excellent segue back on-topic :-) Freelancer was clearly the last great space game; E:D is just not *enough* somehow. LT looks to hit all the right buttons in the right way though, and I'm so excited to see what Josh can do; I just wish some actual information would be made available!
--
Mind The Gap

Ringu wrote:Freelancer was clearly the last great space game; E:D is just not *enough* somehow. LT looks to hit all the right buttons in the right way though, and I'm so excited to see what Josh can do; I just wish some actual information would be made available!
I agree with everything you say here, Ringu. Including the reference to what can only be another update from Josh. We can't expect anymore than that though especially after the coding warrior made us aware of the revised ground rules. The keeping of cards close and all that. :angel:

Online Now