Return to “Announcements”

Re: The Beginning of the Golden Days!

Far from my desire to be the one to bring dark shadows over everybody's rainbows, but Ringu is more than correct in his worries and in his attempt to bring the discussion back to the original topic.

I myself have been following LT's development for a long time, also reading this forum (I used to love specially the development logs). But I never registered until now. What motivated me was precisely Ringu's post and something that has been bothering me for a long while but just today came to full closure. It is the following. I am super excited about LT. I totally understand Josh's past issues. I certainly support his decision to stop being hyper-active. He is 100% right to focus on the game itself, not on the forum, blog, youtube, whatever. Also, it is totally understandable that he stops delivering torrential amounts of videos, pictures and details about the game. Sure, it's ready when it is ready.

However, sometimes it seems that a big part of the community of LT supporters has become that of religious followers around their holy cow. I mean, it seems almost an offense for which one should apologize, the simple asking for progress news about LT or the mere complaining about something. Ringu's post is a testament to that. He introduced his asking with "is it ok to ask for actual information now?" and felt the need to conclude his reasoning with "Don't want to cause any upset". Well Ringu, yes, it is super ok to ask for such information an no, you shouldn't upset anyone by doing that. In fact, almost nobody asks that and when someone does, he/she is almost ashamed of asking. Sorry guys, but enough is enough. Atheist people have more than the right to question the progress of something that is right now only based on pure faith. As well as these atheist have the right to start loosing hope again.

Do not get me wrong, I don't mean I want to question Josh and say that he should come back to the previous state of things, or that he should put more pictures, videos, or whatever. But listen. Let's stop pretending everything going on here is acceptable and normal, shall we? As Ringu correctly remembered, it has been 3 months since this thread started. More than that, it has been almost 5 months since Josh reportedly started to come back from the dark places. And in the meanwhile, pretty much nothing concrete about the game progress has been told - beyond "development is going on, in full steam, etc". If 5 months do not seem much for you, remember that the last picture, video or whatever is almost one full year old now. That's hardly acceptable, sorry. Kickstarter projects certainly are not prolific in delivering pictures, videos and details about the founded games. But honestly, if any project on Kickstarter stays that long without any evidence of progress that goes beyond the pure faith on "progress is being made"... the amount of complaint would be quite noticeable.

Why should it be different with Josh? It is one thing stop trying to please everyone all the time. Fine enough. It is one thing to stop the crazy game of supplying news and details just to create even more astonishing demand. It is one thing to not make promises about deadlines while you are still not comfortable with putting a date. But it is entirely a different thing to simply not post any relevant piece of information about a game for a whole year! Promising deadlines puts unnecessary pressure, for sure. But a monthly screenshot does as well? Well, how can it be that many founded projects upload screenshots once in a while? Sorry, but just asking for others' faith would be unprofessional.

So, yes Ringu, you can and should as that thing you asked. It's normal. I wished more people were asking. All games show progress once in a while that goes beyond developers saying "progress is being made". All in-development games have to face the need of giving news. Specially founded ones: all have to be give some feedback. As much as we all love Josh, even as a sing of professional respect, it is time to start treating him as the mature professional he is, instead of a holy cow that can't be touched. Josh should never pressure himself again in the unhealthy manners of the past, but he can and should receive the pressure of not giving any concrete information on LT since December 2014. He can and should receive the normal pressure of developing a game - specially that of choosing to develop it alone. I really like Josh and I really really love what LT promises to be. But this is a game, that is super late and with no new for a whole year. Let's just face it.

It's ready when it's ready. But there is, yes, a limit to how much a game development can go like this and without anything concrete.

Hi Kimny, welcome to the forums. I understand your complaint, I feel the same way. As you likely already know Josh suffered his dark time from February through April and was getting medical assistance around May and June. Since July Josh has been working on LT full time and he says he is now on the polishing stage of development.

With this said, I personally expect to have LT on my computer by January 31st 2016. Am I beginning to get antsy? You bet. But I also understand that people want pictures from recent development builds. If LT is only a couple of months away (which I believe it is) I really don't mind going without screenshots for just a while longer. If however LT is 6 or more months away from a beta release then I'd really like to start seeing some form of monthly update as well. Preferably a feature list with estimates as to how long each feature will take for completion.

At some point Josh is going to have to let the beta testers test the game. In my opinion the best time to do that is when the game is feature complete but not as graphically pretty as Josh would like it to be.

Ringu, no one should attack you for asking for an update. I would love to have one just as much as you would.

I understand people wanting concrete updates; I would love nothing more than getting that.
But, Josh said in that last KS update
Josh on KS wrote:So now that you all know the full story, let's talk about what's happening from here on out. I'm going to stay in touch, (much more so on the forums than on KS, so if you'd rather see me more often, get on the forums!) But I'm not going to establish a regular update schedule. Right now I'm in the thick of finishing development, and I'm going to keep my focus split about 95% on development and 5%ish on community interaction. In other words: I'm playing this part close to the vest.

I'm sure some of you still miss the monthly videos and the daily dev logs, but, looking back, part of my problem was that my burning desire to see smiles and happiness from you guys in response to my updates shifted my focus away from the thing that's most important: producing the game of my dreams. Yes, it was my standards that caused me anxiety, so I take full blame for maneuvering myself into an unhealthy place, but that's just part of me that I can't get rid of. So, for now, my solution is to keep my focus where it belongs!
and if there's something I learned here then it's that you can't change Josh's mind when he's decided something.

In the end, it's not a matter of faith - it's a matter of trust. Josh said, here, repeatedly, that he is working hard and things are going well, and I trust him to tell the truth.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:I understand people wanting concrete updates; I would love nothing more than getting that.
But, Josh said in that last KS update
Josh on KS wrote:So now that you all know the full story, let's talk about what's happening from here on out. I'm going to stay in touch, (much more so on the forums than on KS, so if you'd rather see me more often, get on the forums!) But I'm not going to establish a regular update schedule. Right now I'm in the thick of finishing development, and I'm going to keep my focus split about 95% on development and 5%ish on community interaction. In other words: I'm playing this part close to the vest.

I'm sure some of you still miss the monthly videos and the daily dev logs, but, looking back, part of my problem was that my burning desire to see smiles and happiness from you guys in response to my updates shifted my focus away from the thing that's most important: producing the game of my dreams. Yes, it was my standards that caused me anxiety, so I take full blame for maneuvering myself into an unhealthy place, but that's just part of me that I can't get rid of. So, for now, my solution is to keep my focus where it belongs!
and if there's something I learned here then it's that you can't change Josh's mind when he's decided something.

In the end, it's not a matter of faith - it's a matter of trust. Josh said, here, repeatedly, that he is working hard and things are going well, and I trust him to tell the truth.
This. Period. :D
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

DigitalDuck wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Faith is blind and without proof, trust is earned.
And to some, Josh hasn't earned their trust, or has lost some of it after the extended silence; as such, being concerned about the project isn't unfounded.
He did daily+monthly for the whole development time until the silence, then come clean and explained with a lot of detail, posted pics of his office even, what more do you need to believe he's not lying when he says it's going great? :?
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

What I find surprising is that he went into a lot of work to show and explain everything EXCEPT for what he's working on. For the people who are interested in Limit Theory nothing has changed since January 23 (last update before he went dark), because there is still no information on game's development whatsoever. And you are surprised that these people are asking for an actual information?

I am not sure why you're thinking it has anything to do with trust. People want to see what's being worked on, instead of simply being told that development progresses. That's the chief reason beyond the question. That and an attempt to push back the Followers of Josh who try to shut down any attempt to ask about an update.

We arent shutting you down, we are doing two other things:

We are asking you what would that information give you?
The only important thing is if LT is being worked on.
The whole theme complex doesnt seem important enough to make such a fuss about.

the other thing we do is telling you that josh is a stubborn being and made the decision to strongly limit the information flow and sharing info on his and only his terms, and that you likely wont be able to convince him otherwise.

Online Now