Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

The college sleep balance exists. It's just different from the boring 9-5 routine most adults are used to.
We noticed that this thread got a little side-tracked into a conversation about eating spaghetti with a spoon. We do enjoy our fair share of italian food, but please remember to keep discussion on-topic when posting on the forums.

Good to hear you are doing a bit better Josh, keep it up.

My suggestion, though I acknowledge I know relatively little about this, is to just release the prototype publicly to all backers and followers alike and then to move on to do something else. Literally whatever else you like and forget about this chapter of your life for the time being.

Maybe someday you'll come back and work on this project again, who knows. But I doubt you'll get anywhere if you force yourself into it.

Best of luck, and maybe you can join us over on the Infinity Quest for Earth forums for another Wolf Game at some point!

NobleBrutus

Hey guys, haven't been around for a while and am way behind on the forums. My participation was always spotty at best anyways. Some one fill me in on Josh and the LT universe? Anything that we know that isn't in this forum thread?

From what I can tell, Josh is feeling much better (for which I'm very thankful. I don't know him personally but he has shared a little of his soul with us over the past couple of years.)

I also see that work on LT has resumed at a less fevered pace... Also a good thing.

Is that the gist of it?

MyNameWuzTaken wrote:Hey guys, haven't been around for a while and am way behind on the forums. My participation was always spotty at best anyways. Some one fill me in on Josh and the LT universe? Anything that we know that isn't in this forum thread?

From what I can tell, Josh is feeling much better (for which I'm very thankful. I don't know him personally but he has shared a little of his soul with us over the past couple of years.)

I also see that work on LT has resumed at a less fevered pace... Also a good thing.

Is that the gist of it?
Yep, you nailed it!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

That's pretty much all of it. Josh has visited the forms and IRC a little bit and has made a few posts. Nothing new has really been shared. Josh said that he is working on LT at a healthy pace every day.

Other than that we just don't know what specific features he's working on or how many features he needs to complete till release. I'd guess that my list of features thread is still partially relevant. I'll update it once I know that a feature has been worked on.

novarest wrote:Guys, this is not how any of this works.

Josh is a genius and has very high intelligence. But now he has lost his brain-shield. Call it burn-out, depression, whatever. That genius/insanity lie close together is not just a saying. Anyway this has happened thousands of times before and will happen again thousands of times. It's just the way of human reality and tragedy on this planet. Sure there are a bunch of psychologists and drug pettlers who claim to have figured it all out, but I think that's all bullshit. We are quite powerless in these things of the mind.

Every time Josh will try to come back, he will see a mean posting and it will hit his brain like a laser beam, or he will look at some old code line of his and the fact that he is no longer "into it" will hit his brain like a missile. And the constant pressure to "come back" will just be as stressful and exhausting as being here.

There are no easy solutions now.

He can try to take the hits and power through but it will probably fail since an invisible magnetic force will push him away from the forums and the development again and again. The effortlessness is gone. They joy of development is gone. The gravity has shifted, the resting point is no longer in the game. There is no resting point anymore, just repulsive forces away from here. Maybe someday a new resting/gravity point will form somewhere else for him (job/wife/kids). Or magically it will be this game again, though this can take years or may never happen.

He can give the project away to a successor or sell it. This is as painful as trying to power through or even more, since it is "giving his baby away" and abandoning everything that could have been, irreversible. Something will life on. It might be in his spirit or it might be an abomination and others will make money with it. Which would be horrible. So this might also be a bad solution.

I couldn't care less about the 187k. Would anybody take this money to have his life destroyed/altered in that way? No, it's not worth this. It's not worth any amount of money.

But I don't want to be just doom and gloom. While I want to make it clearer that these is little hope for the game, there is hope for the human. Life goes on. He can spend a few years watching TV shows. Watch human history go on. And slowly find a way back. Or he will find the miracle drug that does it. Any amount of good things can still happen and probability says they will just by chance. I mean there are ~70 years to go so. :thumbup:

I think the best thing we can to is lay the game to rest. Disarm it. Abandon all expectations. Find peace. This was all out of the control of anyone. In a way inevitable.
Given, by your own words above, that we are all "quite powerless in these things of the mind", why on earth do you think you can tell what's going on in Josh's?

You can't. No one can. So why not just wish him well in recovery, instead of telling him he's doomed to failure? Honestly, if someone actually took your post to heart, they'd give up any ambition they ever had.

Impossible not to feel bad being away so long, I can imagine. But I think the core of the community here, and those like me that have been following the progress of this game for a long time now, would rather you not kill yourself for the game. Sometimes life has a way of reining you in, and make you take a good hard look at yourself. Sometimes that means darkness. I know all too well what that is like. Oh, how I know. I'm ever so slowly ebbing out of a darkness myself. My creativity is slowly--too slowly--returning.

If you need time for yourself, take time for yourself. Ultimately your well being must come first. We will all be here, offering support, so don't feel bad about needing to heal.

Cheers mate,

Online Now