Page 41 of 44

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:30 pm
by Slymodi
Idunno wrote:Hey look everybody! A pretty distraction! :ghost: :shifty: Image
damnit now I want to replicate it :x

~Sly

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:00 am
by Safe-r
DigitalDuck wrote:That doesn't mean he has no right to complain.
Indeed. I am, in fact, more surprised with the people who try to shut down all questions about progress rather than with people who are anxious about what's going on with Limit Theory. Personally that's the reason why I lost almost all my initial interest I had regarding this project: it's of no use waiting for something, not knowing the day nor the hour when anything will be presented to the public. Can just as well check in once in a while.

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:27 am
by FormalMoss
JoshParnell wrote:Sooner or later I'll make my flickr album public. 500+ lovely shots of LT throughout the development timeline. Not to tease you guys or anything :ghost:
Please make it sooner Josh :)

xo

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:30 am
by Lum
Lots of projects leave their supporters and fans without news for weeks and months in a row. The exception is what Josh did until this year. Daily devlogs and monthly videologs took a lot of time from development but made an awesome community. Things happened and that can be maintained and now people get anxious and WTF is going on. Seriously? :crazy:

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 am
by Idunno
Slymodi wrote:
Idunno wrote:Hey look everybody! A pretty distraction! :ghost: :shifty: Image
damnit now I want to replicate it :x

~Sly
DOOOOO EEEEEETTTT!!! :ghost:

Here's some more inspiration: Image

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:33 pm
by Slymodi
Idunno wrote:
Slymodi wrote:
Idunno wrote:Hey look everybody! A pretty distraction! :ghost: :shifty: Image
damnit now I want to replicate it :x

~Sly
DOOOOO EEEEEETTTT!!! :ghost:

Here's some more inspiration: Image
*faints*
god damn I love nodes, my work is literally making an application that is basically nodes with a couple other things
~Sly

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:43 am
by Jazehiah
I remember making a similar one based on Facebook posts. I'll post it if I manage to dig it up.

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:30 pm
by Scootz
Josh,

You are doing what it normally takes a whole company to do, most of us are in awe.

Please take it easy and release "when its done" and dont push yourself for any deadlines.
As a backer I will be happy if it comes out 3 years from now so please take care of yourself, take as much time as you need.

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:05 pm
by AusSkiller
I don't see why people would be concerned by no communications, Josh seems like a reasonable guy and if he intended to stop work on LT I have no doubt he'd make an announcement saying that was going to happen, though I suspect he'd also either release what he's got so far or line up someone to continue the development in his stead, at any rate that means that no news is good news and we should all just be patient and wait for the next update whether it be tomorrow or in 6 months.

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:03 pm
by lamontjb
Yea, I believe in Unicorns and Fairy dust too...

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:17 am
by notami
@AusSkiller
"...if he intended to stop work on LT I have no doubt he'd make an announcement saying that was going to happen, though I suspect he'd also either release what he's got so far or line up someone to continue the development in his stead ..."

Considering the possible legal repercussions from Kickstarter that wouldnt be a good Idea.
Furthermore Josh Parnell is at the beginning of his job-career and had paused his University education for his LT-Project.With the Kickstarterforum and his own LT Forum this happens in public. Easy to find for every potential future employer or business partner.
Maybe you still go to school, so you will find it hard to understand or highly unfair, but there is no acknowledgement for "trying hard" and there is no understanding for "its not my fault" (even worse if it is about mental issues).
If he just walks away from this Project to Continue his University education -> for what? He can only stay and try to complete his work by himself.

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:49 am
by CSE
notami wrote:Considering the possible legal repercussions from Kickstarter that wouldnt be a good Idea.
Furthermore Josh Parnell is at the beginning of his job-career and had paused his University education for his LT-Project.With the Kickstarterforum and his own LT Forum this happens in public. Easy to find for every potential future employer or business partner.
Maybe you still go to school, so you will find it hard to understand or highly unfair, but there is no acknowledgement for "trying hard" and there is no understanding for "its not my fault" (even worse if it is about mental issues).
If he just walks away from this Project to Continue his University education -> for what? He can only stay and try to complete his work by himself.
I absolutely disagree.

With regards to kickstarter, he did much more than could be expected, for much longer; if need be he can deliver an improved prototype or the current built and be absolutely clean on this side - who could begrudge >2 years full time for a s low as 170k$?

With regards to his future, and as a professional hiring engineers (not in IT) regularly: the LT story proves that he has vision, entrepreneurship, and talent. And this so young that he did not even have his formal eduction: so no surprise he was inexperimented in project management. Even PhDs usually need to learn those skills in the first years on the job. The only thing which may need explanation is the psychological problems. Having sought help is a major plus because it also mean recognizing in the future if the danger loom again; being candid about it in an interview, stating possibly what your limits are, is probably the best stragtegy. Time will also help - for instance finishing the studies with the pressure of the exams will show it was but an episode in his development.
All-in-all, absolutely no need to finish a perfect product for using the project as a major asset when searching a job.
What I would make sure, though, is to complete the university degree!

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:29 am
by AnneCHPostma
Hi Josh ...

Just ignore all haters and negative comments. It is usually from people who have issues with themselves.
It seems to be so much easier for a lot of people to be negative than to be positive, but I learned to ignore them.
Unfortunately a large portion of the online community seems to be like that.

I - as many others - loved what you were working on and always looked forward to your next video detailing what you had done.

Of course I'd love to explore the LT galaxy at some point, but I can wait until it is really at the quality you had envisioned from the start.

But ... Your health is most important, so take your time!

Cheers, Anne

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:34 pm
by Scytale
CSE wrote:
notami wrote:Considering the possible legal repercussions from Kickstarter that wouldnt be a good Idea.
Furthermore Josh Parnell is at the beginning of his job-career and had paused his University education for his LT-Project.With the Kickstarterforum and his own LT Forum this happens in public. Easy to find for every potential future employer or business partner.
Maybe you still go to school, so you will find it hard to understand or highly unfair, but there is no acknowledgement for "trying hard" and there is no understanding for "its not my fault" (even worse if it is about mental issues).
If he just walks away from this Project to Continue his University education -> for what? He can only stay and try to complete his work by himself.
I absolutely disagree.

With regards to kickstarter, he did much more than could be expected, for much longer; if need be he can deliver an improved prototype or the current built and be absolutely clean on this side - who could begrudge >2 years full time for a s low as 170k$?
Well, no.
1. He promised more than could be expected, and his backers, rightly, believed him.
2. He showed that he could do, at least in principle what he promised, and so logically he showed that he could do much more than could be expected from an indie developer.
3. So, logically, we expect him to finish, because he's shown he can do it.
4. If he doesn't do it, then notami's point holds: he was in a position to accomplish something amazing, but he wasn't able to hold his promise. The reason may be totally justifiable, but unfortunately very often outcomes are binary: (i) you produce the promised result, and (ii) anything else is just an excuse.
Of course it's unfair, but very often that's just the way it is.

The distinction between the expectation in points 1-2 and point 3 is the difference between
(a) what we might usually expect from an indie developer, and
(b) what we specifically expect from Josh.
(a) and (b) are clearly distinct, or else we wouldn't still be here supporting Josh.

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:15 am
by betrunkenaffe
With regards to the kickstarter legal comments, good luck, you won't get any assistance from kickstarter in trying to take it to the courts, you would have to do that yourself.

You should also re-read the agreement you accepted by backing the project, it's pretty loose and Josh has definitely provided good faith results over the last 2 years.

All this is null and void since the project isn't finished and Josh has stated he is still working on it.