Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

And since I'm offering advice, I'll put one more thing out there.

A friend (not me) once failed to pay her taxes one year. The next year, she was so concerned about the previous year that she couldn't bring herself to pay that year's, either. This went on for seven years. The mountain she'd created kept looming larger, paralyzing her into making it continue to grow.

Eventually she worked it out. But she needed external help. And it became a problem because she waited, instead of dealing with the problem while it was relatively small.

My point is that I've seen some suggestions here that Josh is waiting, not interacting with the community who've welcomed him back enthusiastically, until he can deliver an "awesome" Kickstarter update or until he has a substantial amount of new work he can reveal... and I feel that's precisely the belief system that led to the Dark Days.

It will NEVER be good enough, or big enough, or awesome enough. Waiting for that only builds the pressure higher, making the delivery need to be even more amazing. It takes nearly no time at all until that's impossible.

I can't offer any helpful techniques for dealing with this. All I can do is make the observation that requiring "awesome" for every communication will only insure there are no communications again. A pattern of success starts with choosing small things that can be accomplished, and gradually building on those wins, and not on believing that Everest has to be climbed every day or there' s no point in getting up.

Take enough small steps, with every step supported by this remarkable community, and soon enough Josh will find himself at the summit.

So I'd say an occasional, "Hi, still working!" would be healthy as a step toward a small daily victory. But I'm just a random Internet person. :)

Whether he wants to post an "official" update or not, the comments section on Kickstarter is already being pointed back to this post. I can understand Josh's hesitation and anxiety about posting there but considering the amount of time, a "Hey guys, sorry about the delays, I'm still committed to LT and here's my current plans" and link to this thread for further information if the backers are still twitchy about it. I feel this would also help relieve some anxiety because then instead of dealing with invisible ghosts, you can directly deal with people's concerns (hopefully before they get larger).

There is no perfect plan for going forward and whatever Josh does is his decision but I would personally do the above because that's what I would want to see (rather than total silence)... also as a backer, I do want to see it :)
This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

Flatfingers wrote: So I'd say an occasional, "Hi, still working!" would be healthy as a step toward a small daily victory. But I'm just a random Internet person. :)
I rather agree with this. :) I think it'd help Josh a lot with getting over his anxiety to see that he doesn't have to make huge worldshattering updates - little ones mean a lot too.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Victor Tombs wrote:If it helps, Josh, just say a simple "Hello" the Community will do the rest.

I'm sure we can expand on that simple word and give you a magnificent thread several pages long. ;) :angel:
And I'm certain that you will be there, planting explosives on the rails. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Flatfingers wrote:I can't offer any helpful techniques for dealing with this. All I can do is make the observation that requiring "awesome" for every communication will only insure there are no communications again. A pattern of success starts with choosing small things that can be accomplished, and gradually building on those wins, and not on believing that Everest has to be climbed every day or there' s no point in getting up.

Take enough small steps, with every step supported by this remarkable community, and soon enough Josh will find himself at the summit.

So I'd say an occasional, "Hi, still working!" would be healthy as a step toward a small daily victory. But I'm just a random Internet person. :)
Actually you make a pretty good advice on how to deal with this. Problem is - talking doesn't help when you deal with a depressed person. Action needs to be taken. Josh needs something to keep people in the loop and to propel himself to get up to speed. Something akin to Development Update. Big updates are obviously not working out and waiting for Josh to get better won't help him get better. Neither will talking that Josh can or can't complete Limit Theory.

Very late to the party, but just wanted to say I think it's very good you managed to realize you needed help - and actually got it! You've worked your ass off the last few months (years?!) and made beautiful things. Take your time to heal, and don't rush things. You'll make beautiful things again, soon, just try to lower the pace!

Good luck recovering!

Not usually a poster on forums but as an LT KS backer who enjoyed the infectious sense of joy you bring to the party and admires your work so far I just wanted to add that your post was one of the most uplifting things I've read in a long time. Can only imagine what it cost to write so, I hope it all works out in the end and, much as I'd love to play the game, your health would always be far too high a price for that pleasure.

Online Now