Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Very glad you are on the mend now Josh - welcome back.

I've been where you are (in some ways I am still there, many years "later"), and I can't promise that everything will be OK in the end. I can promise that it gets easier and with the right help you find ways of managing it whilst remaining productive.

Looking forward to updates when there is one - no pressure and no rush. :)

Chalk me up as someone who's gone through similar experiences. Having worked myself until physical exhaustion in the past I'd like to give you some tips on how to cope, except my solution has always been along the lines of "pass out, get sleep, get calories, get back to work". So skip the pass out part, I guess? :|

Anyways, good luck on your recovery and with getting your life back on track.

Josh
Firstly welcome back, its great to see you on the forums again. :)
As to the reasons for your absence, thank you for your frank explanation and after reading it can tell you this, many people (myself included) have been through such episodes in life. Sometimes you simply gotta stop or at least change the way we do things at certain points in our lives. We are not machines, we have feelings, limitations, flaws, each and everyone of us. Thats what makes us human.

For some it's easy to say well I would have done things differently, well isn't hindsight a great thing if it was actually useful at the time instead of after the event?

What we puny humans do is what we always do, we adapt, change and little by little get better at how we go about things.

Also know (with regards to developing games and take some solace from this) you are not alone in facing such problems. Other devs I know of have been through their trials, here have a look at another project I backed called Frontiers. I am sure you know of this game ;) . Below is an update by Lars Simkins that he did last November. Like yourself he working mostly on his own. Its one of the most frank dev updates I've ever seen. In his update you can see the pressure he is under and his methods of dealing with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ZCbdDcca0

Also, like you, Lars also has a rock solid community backing him all the way. Don't underestimate what the (sometimes :squirrel: ) crazy folk inhabiting this forum can do for your morale or even how to deal with any development problems you face. Draw strength from your Community Josh, we are here for you! So if we can help (either as a sounding board or if you just need a place to vent) we are here.

Hope I am not out of order mentioning these things but in the end your health (both physical and mental) is far more important and the vast majority of us understand that. You have a great future in front of you Josh and your destined to be one of the great gaming devs of your generation. Of that I have no doubts. So take this time to heal, relax, think and come back to us when you feel ready. We will be here. :thumbup:
Last edited by Geraldine on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geraldine ;)
Smile People, Space Sims Are Coming Back!
Happy Days Are Here Again :D
Keeping The Faith In Josh Since 2012 :)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Im not sure the morale improving members in here inhibit the forum, i could agrre with inhabitate, though :P
:lol: Typo a go-go! :oops: Thats what working a nightshift does for you! :ghost: Fixed! :D
Geraldine ;)
Smile People, Space Sims Are Coming Back!
Happy Days Are Here Again :D
Keeping The Faith In Josh Since 2012 :)

I think I almost cried a little there. It can be so hard to find a good balance between work/life, especially when you're as passionate about your work as Josh so obviously is. The trouble with mental health issues is that the part of your brain that can tell there is a problem is the first part to start having problems. Anyone who has experience with this sort of thing totally understands.

Good to have you back Josh!

Glad you're back Josh! :thumbup:

Mental health issues are tricky: if you can't rely on your own brain, what can you rely on?

Take care of yourself and please don't push yourself too hard. It's more important that you get (and stay!) well, rather than you finishing the game at the cost of your own (mental) health.

Online Now