Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End of the Dark Days.

Baile nam Fonn wrote:Omitted to say this in my previous post :oops: :

Big, warm thank you to Josh's family, and to the medical professional(s), who have provided assistance and support in the recuperation of my favourite game developer! :D
Once again: hear, hear!
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

Seryth Nortra wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:Omitted to say this in my previous post :oops: :

Big, warm thank you to Josh's family, and to the medical professional(s), who have provided assistance and support in the recuperation of my favourite game developer! :D
Once again: hear, hear!
Yes, very thankful to his family.
Re: Josh Was Online Today!

Hey, I'm all for as many new topics as we can possibly make right now.

Anything to get all the rage quit and "where is Josh?" topics moved to page two!

(not that I was against said topics at the time, but if Josh is back it's time to sweep them under the rug so we can move on)
My Signature

Hey Josh, glad to see you're alright and have come out the other end in one piece :)

Can I make a suggestion? I suggested this a while back but you were out of action and I doubt you actually saw my post. I backed RimWorld, by Tynan Sylvester, and it's coming along very nicely. Tynan has made an explicit point of not declaring that a game with an evolving feature set is, or will ever be, "finished", as such. On top of that, he gets stuff done without appearing to pressure himself too much. Take a look at the changelog for the game, which he has publicised for people to follow along with if they want to: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rC ... OHyNsg/pub
So my suggestion is, if you are still trying to decide what form future updates may take, just keep a simple dev log. Don't try to explain yourself in depth as you were trying so hard to do, and don't worry what people may or may not think about the number of updates on any given day. You'll see on that devlog that the updates are just bullet points. Some don't even provide enough detail for people to do anything more than speculate over. You can see he skips sometimes two or three days in a row to give himself breaks, but sometimes he codes over the weekend as well. Sometimes days and days in a row are pretty much just a single bullet point mentioning "bug fixes". And you know what? It's enough! It keeps people happy and shows people that he's still committed to the game. It takes away pressure from him to feel like he has to post in-depth analyses of his work ethic, and nobody begrudges him time off when he needs it. And every now and again, when he's ready he releases a new alpha. In your case I suspect that would be a longer post/video/whatever, and later down the track, maybe alphas, or whatever suits you. My point is simply that you can keep people up to date and informed while relaxing a bit, seriously taking the pressure off of yourself, and people will still be happy. Whatever you end up doing, just remember that you're only human, and everyone here (I assume) realises it!
I'm learning game programming and blogging about my progress: http://nathanridley.com

Online Now