Return to “Announcements”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

After your announcement of RTB I waited. I wanted to see if this was going to actually work. Well so far I have to say that it is! This is far better than an update video when you factor in that this is all about playability and relevance of what is actually needed for beta.

The Hud is ready for beta. Looking forward to what is in store for the next RTB!

After reading this:
AbhChallenger wrote:After your announcement of RTB I waited. I wanted to see if this was going to actually work.
I was getting concerned, but then:
Well so far I have to say that it is! This is far better than an update video when you factor in that this is all about playability and relevance of what is actually needed for beta.

The Hud is ready for beta. Looking forward to what is in store for the next RTB!
That was amazing Abh.

What can I say. I was worried that RTB was going to become another deal where Josh would have to spend weeks on a feature to make it "perfect" for beta. We all know balancing Limit Theory is going to be a *censored* So keeping things relevant and moving on towards that all important beta is what I like to see.

What I saw was a beta ready HUD. There will be debates on it after beta is out. Some of which might become quite crazy. But that is the debate towards 1.0 not beta.

AbhChallenger wrote:What can I say. I was worried that RTB was going to become another deal where Josh would have to spend weeks on a feature to make it "perfect" for beta. We all know balancing Limit Theory is going to be a *censored* So keeping things relevant and moving on towards that all important beta is what I like to see.

What I saw was a beta ready HUD. There will be debates on it after beta is out. Some of which might become quite crazy. But that is the debate towards 1.0 not beta.
Agreed on all points.

Unrelated:

After looking over the RTB post a few more times, I feel like the green health bar has actually started to grow on me. I like it... I'm not even entirely sure why, except for the extra splash of color. Green looks good.

Plus, the difference in color will make it a lot easier to know how low your hull/shields are out of the corner of your eye. I would almost suggest doing the exact same thing with shields, just on the opposite side of the reticule.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

I'm starting to feel odd that the green health bar doesn't bother me at all.

It's a health bar; it's meant to be an instantly-understandable representation of the overall condition of your avatar (in LT's case, your ship), and it is.

It ought to be close to where your eye is looking so that this information is available quickly in survival situations, and it is.

Though you apparently can edit the HUD so that it's off to the side somewhere, or not even displayed, why would you?

I will say that the bigger the ship, the more abstract a "health bar" becomes. If I'm bringing a cap ship into a firefight, my HUD emphasis is going to shift from exploring and scanning and mining and trading to: 1) a status and control display for each of the individual key systems of my ship, including crew, and 2) a status and (high-level) control display for all subordinate ships under my command. I might still keep an overall health bar visible, but it's not something I'd check frequently and it would need to be out of the way.

RTB is looking really good Josh. LT's HUD just keeps getting better and better with every new update I see. The green health bar is fine in my opinion. Don't really know what you were concerned about, it reminds the player that health is a priority while at the same time preserves the overall look of the HUD. I wouldn't change it :)

Can't wait for this week's RTB.
"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies but not the madness of people." -Issac Newton
Awesome Music: BlackMill Rameses B MitiS

Flatfingers wrote:I'm starting to feel odd that the green health bar doesn't bother me at all.

It's a health bar; it's meant to be an instantly-understandable representation of the overall condition of your avatar (in LT's case, your ship), and it is.

It ought to be close to where your eye is looking so that this information is available quickly in survival situations, and it is.
Yep, i'm odd like you :) Maybe the tone of green could be changed to make it less vibrant? But in general i think it serves it's purpose perfectly.

Online Now