Return to “Announcements”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

I have some questions I'll ask later, but for now, this feels like a good solid start down the RTB.

The HUD widgets look fantastic -- I also very much like that hexagonal lattice, and expect to find any number of very wrong uses for it. :)

And Edit Mode... sweet. I'm already optimizing mine in my head. (Which is exactly the kind of reaction that RTB updates should engender, I think.) Optimal would be if we can save and load HUD layouts by name, and if we can assign specifically-named layouts to ship hull types as the default HUD. Not only will that make context-based gameplay more enjoyable, it will make switching to new ships much easier than if we have to rebuild new versions of preferred layouts every time. (Another nice feature will be if layouts are external files, allowing players to share optimized HUDs with each other.)

Very nice work for a first RTB update, Josh!

Loved the Update. The relaxed feel that came across in your words was almost palpable. :D
This is exactly what we need. Do what you feel is necessary to bring LT to beta, don't bend to community demands to cram extra content, and just talk about what you worked on, even if it was dealing with segfaults. Above all, stay relaxed. :thumbup:

Teh Josh r0x0rz etc.

Looks great! Impressed that the control as resizable; making them look and enabling that is non-trivial I suspect. One thing that came to my mind was: is it possible to alter the colours in each widget separately? I'm not sure you'd necessarily want that, but just out of interest...

Looking forward to chapter 2!

Just in case you miss my comment on the KS page I will repeat it here.

If what you've demonstrated in this update is RTB, Josh, then it gets a double thumbs up from me. A clear, concise explanation of your work with the necessary images is almost everything I've ever wanted in a progress report. :D

The addition of occasional short videos will also be very much appreciated. :angel:

Very impressive, Mr Parnell. :clap:

I was really missing the daily dev logs......not now though! I love the addition of screenshots, it makes it so much better than just text. The HUD is starting to look really cool and I don't mind that the ships health is in a fairly lurid green, it makes it nice and easy to see. Chapter one of RTB is impressive, lets see what chapter 2 brings :)

Flatfingers wrote: Optimal would be if we can save and load HUD layouts by name, and if we can assign specifically-named layouts to ship hull types as the default HUD. Not only will that make context-based gameplay more enjoyable, it will make switching to new ships much easier than if we have to rebuild new versions of preferred layouts every time. (Another nice feature will be if layouts are external files, allowing players to share optimized HUDs with each other.)

Very nice work for a first RTB update, Josh!
This.

Great Job, Josh!

Looking forward to many more updates by the roadside! :thumbup:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Online Now