Return to “Announcements”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

One small, unimportant, yet interesting thing that I noticed about the RTB images is that the scanner appears to be given no power in any of them, yet is still operating (if I'm reading the instruments correctly). I suspect this is just something Josh hasn't properly finessed yet, but it does raise some further interesting scanner questions - about low-energy capability etc.

One part of me says "if there's no power, then it doesn't work!" but another part says "all scanners should be able to do some simple stuff without energy drain". :think: Right now, if you asked me to call it, I'd say go with the former... but give it a few days and I'll probably have changed my mind.

Great update and I'm liking the RTB format. Just a few questions/comments:
  • 1. If you move the reticule off center will your weapons still fire from the center of the reticule?
    2. I like the vibrant green health indicator. At a glance you can easily tell the health status of the ship. Hopefully it will transition to red as your health decreases
    3. If you turn off some of the weapons in a control group will the 'extra' energy overcharge the remaining weapons?
mcsven wrote:One small, unimportant, yet interesting thing that I noticed about the RTB images is that the scanner appears to be given no power in any of them, yet is still operating (if I'm reading the instruments correctly). I suspect this is just something Josh hasn't properly finessed yet, but it does raise some further interesting scanner questions - about low-energy capability etc.

One part of me says "if there's no power, then it doesn't work!" but another part says "all scanners should be able to do some simple stuff without energy drain". :think: Right now, if you asked me to call it, I'd say go with the former... but give it a few days and I'll probably have changed my mind.
I think what you might be looking for is a still functional scanner with dramatically decreased range. A scanner in this state would only be good at detecting the wormhole and a planet at long distances (we need to allow the player to get home or out of the system or orientate themselves without changing anything). Anything else you would have to be within 25m to get any kind of detection (specifically ore within an asteroid).

Keep up the great work Josh! :thumbup:

I wonder whether there's anything to be said for being able to record scanner signals, and then mine them for known patterns after the fact?

There are two different aspects I'm thinking of here:
  1. You're involved in combat, and don't have the time to check out what you're seeing on the scanner (i.e. what seems to be happening in the image that Josh posted);
  2. You upgrade your scanner so that it is more sensitive/can see in a different spectrum, and would like to go back and check locations you've already been to for new discoveries.
Once you are in a safe location, you can "data mine" your recorded signals and then store the results.

sven:

your first point could be pretty cheap to implement actually.

we know that we will have some kind of event log, for the data market and for fulfilling contracts.

so what if that is just a general log of what happened and you sell excerpts of that logs?

instead of the logs being quest objects, you generate a general log of happenings which contain all you know about the objects related to that event.

so you have log data in your system which for example says "combat [system] [area] [list of combattant ships [Faction][ship type][Status after combat (damaged, destroyed, unknown)]]"
and in the ship list you can select a ship,
this opens the general ship viewer, form where you can look at all the data you have of that ship.
spectra, observed combat capabilities, known equipment etc.

and when you sell some logs, or turn them in for a contract, you only give the relevant parts.

SO MUCH YES! :D I love this! I figured you'd be able to pull something amazing off, but nothing quite like this! And in just a couple weeks, too. Color me impressed. :) I've only just read it, but I plan to go back and give it a more thorough read in just a second here.

Loving the RTB update idea so far. Things like this - updates + screenshots - are a lot more fun to follow than text-only updates and provide a wealth of information vaguely similar to that of a video, without the need for you to spend a whole day in the editing process. I'm very pleased. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Well, this was a wonderful surprise to wake up to. Great job Josh!

This solves the very first question I asked on this forum; and that is working with multiple monitors seamlessly.

Now, I need to get a few of these and mod an LCD into them. Customizable buttons and place certain custom widgets in there and I'll be well on my way to my custom cockpit!

Thanks again Josh! My dream of building a full simulator is going as planned! :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now