Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #21

Welcome to the forums!! :wave: Nice to see you here! I'm impressed you found the thread so quickly! And you're quite right - there ought to be a slim shadow on the planets behind the rings. It's a small thing, but it should be relatively easy to fix.

I hope you stick around! The community here tends to be a lot friendlier than that of YouTube. :D You should find yourself right at home.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Scytale wrote:Depends on the angle of the sun though Tal - if the planet has an axial inclination the shadow may be quite dramatic.
Dramatic, yes, and very beautiful. :) Also, I didn't notice that any of Josh's iterations had angled rings... that would be cool to have, though.
tbh I would've thought axial inclination as a variable was something of a given if one is even considering featuring planets, personally

I have no problem considering that the Limit Theory universe follows exactly the same rules as ours, because I can easily separate fiction from game mechanics. What I would prefer is not to deal with bizarre esoteric explanations for every single piece of gameplay that doesn't seem to fit with somebody's idea of "reality". Otherwise, we will need to start development theories for icons over characters heads and extrange background music that sometimes we heard during dramatic moments, like combat in RPGs.

I sincerely think that such theories undermine the appreciation of a game that doesn't need such extravaganzas.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Talvieno wrote:No, we're just talking about a graphics issue. Shadows look good. :P That's really all it is.
I liked the shadow in the video, oh yes. And now that we are talking about the video update, I also loved the first -and final- minutes of footage (that ship minning the asteroid was superb), and particularly the ship generator (some of the small ships were awesome). 8-)
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:I have no problem considering that the Limit Theory universe follows exactly the same rules as ours, because I can easily separate fiction from game mechanics. What I would prefer is not to deal with bizarre esoteric explanations for every single piece of gameplay that doesn't seem to fit with somebody's idea of "reality". Otherwise, we will need to start development theories for icons over characters heads and extrange background music that sometimes we heard during dramatic moments, like combat in RPGs.

I sincerely think that such theories undermine the appreciation of a game that doesn't need such extravaganzas.
I'd like to understand this better, if you feel like commenting further.

Some people enjoy proposing logical explanations for how an invented world works as a functionally consistent place.

How do such thought experiments, which are not an official thing that's shipped with the game, undermine anyone's appreciation for that game?

Flatfingers wrote:Some people enjoy proposing logical explanations for how an invented world works as a functionally consistent place.

How do such thought experiments, which are not an official thing that's shipped with the game, undermine anyone's appreciation for that game?
If are things that are not part of the game, then yes, sure, is just mental gymnastics. (And could even emerge something good from there.) My rejection of such theories is purely aesthetic, not intellectual or philosophical. I just find some ideas -like the Heisenberg drive for example- problematic from an aesthetic point of view. I don't think I could enjoy to play a game when you are supposed to be in another universe with different physics laws in the same way I can't tolerate abstract games. (There could be exceptions, of course.)

But if this game is inspired by Freelancer, when we are supposed to live in the future, then I rather prefer to be a future pilot, in this same very universe. Otherwise it could be hard to relate with the game and its world. (It's the same reason why the movie 2001 is set in well, 2001 and not in 4005, because too much into the future and you could lose the connection with the public.)

Online Now