Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #21

Scytale wrote: I recall Dinosawer mentioning gravity existing but only as a short-range force...
Yes, I thought no gravity= no planets, and there's also little point in colonizing a planet if you can't stand on it.

I'd like to try and simulate my idea when I have time (I.e. not now)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
Scytale wrote: I recall Dinosawer mentioning gravity existing but only as a short-range force...
Yes, I thought no gravity= no planets, and there's also little point in colonizing a planet if you can't stand on it.

I'd like to try and simulate my idea when I have time (I.e. not now)
So, it would be a bit like the strong nuclear force? I actually really like that idea hmmm...
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

:roll: You guys are almost literally trying to turn apples into oranges. :lol: If you're creating a new universe with new laws, you have to abandon pretty much everything and start fresh. No working with weak forces, no working with strong forces, ditch the ideas about gravity and such.

Firstly, the "equal and opposite force" law still applies.

Secondly, the Aether exists. The Aether is an array of particles (possibly static, with some neutrino-like qualities) through which solids in the universe move (if moving in the first place). The resistance of the Aether on any solid object is increasingly proportional compared to the size of the object. Thus, planets and asteroids slow to a non-orbital halt, and a large ship, despite its mass, comes to a halt just as quickly as a smaller ship moving at the same speed. Weapons, small and fast-moving, slow very little relatively, and are seen to travel long distances before they eventually slow and fizzle out. Their shell likely remains, of course, but that's a matter for the navigators.

Liquids, as a state of matter, tend to nullify the Aether, while gases and plasmas tend to displace it almost like a reverse form of gravity. Land vehicles aren't fighting two forces at once, and thrusters work perfectly well in space, without needing a small amount of time to ramp up.

Matter tends to clump, but thanks to the Aether Law, only up to a certain point. A large object such as a planet would have a great deal of resistance exerted on it, making it incapable of "clumping" with its sun - it would appear "locked" in space in a particular position.

Asteroids are formed, of course, by dust and small, non-asteroidal rocks. Instead of being molded by traditional gravity, they are instead molded by small impacts, and the clumping dust forcing everything ever closer to the planet. The amount of force required to cause one particle to bind to another is low relative to our universe, and happens much more easily. Anything formed through these methods (such as asteroids) still has a degree of non-displaced Aether within them, which gradually slows any rate of spin to a halt. If a large body contains large quantities of liquids, however, it does have the capacity to move, but only when an external, non-clumping force acts upon it. One might almost question why planets don't move again after their interiors become molten, but at that point they've already stopped moving, and the amount of force required to make them start moving again would be incredible thanks to their mass.

It probably has some flaws, but it seems to work at first glance, and it doesn't require you to force-fit laws from our universe. :lol:

Also I'm sure there are a large number of interesting implications here.
Last edited by Talvieno on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Dinosawer wrote:Well, the thing is it's easier to make something coherent by adapting our own universe. You can propose laws, but when people ask "yes, but why is it so" you have to say "well, you see... hey look a squirrel!"
:P
No, it just means you haven't developed the proposed laws quite well enough. :lol: You're approaching the problem from the perspective of a scientist, while I'm approaching it from the perspective of a writer of science fiction. I could approach it from the scientist's perspective, yes, but the fact of the matter is, there's simply too much different about LT's universe.

Also, floating islands should naturally be possible with my laws, which I find amusing. :D
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

And your approach isn't top-down too? The entire reason I stepped in was because you and a couple others were arguing over inconsistencies you couldn't iron out. ;) From a writer's perspective, if there are any inconsistencies, it just wasn't written well enough - and that's always fixable. If it wasn't, science fiction wouldn't exist.

Talvieno wrote:And your approach isn't top-down too? The entire reason I stepped in was because you and a couple others were arguing over inconsistencies you couldn't iron out. ;) From a writer's perspective, if there are any inconsistencies, it just wasn't written well enough - and that's always fixable. If it wasn't, science fiction wouldn't exist.
I wasn't, I proposed a way to get rid of them :lol: I think massive graviton- finite range gravity-matter clumps up locally but didn't affect each other far away is fairly bottom-up. But it's just an idea I had, nothing more ;)

The problem I have with aether stopping gravity is that you have friction on an object that isn't moving, which is unlike any friction we know. :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Talvieno wrote:And your approach isn't top-down too? The entire reason I stepped in was because you and a couple others were arguing over inconsistencies you couldn't iron out. ;) From a writer's perspective, if there are any inconsistencies, it just wasn't written well enough - and that's always fixable. If it wasn't, science fiction wouldn't exist.
"I can fix this!"~Last words of a Generic Mad Scientist. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Dinosawer wrote: I wasn't, I proposed a way to get rid of them :lol: I think massive graviton- finite range gravity-matter clumps up locally but didn't affect each other far away is fairly bottom-up. But it's just an idea I had, nothing more ;)

The problem I have with aether stopping gravity is that you have friction on an object that isn't moving, which is unlike any friction we know. :ghost:
His friction also works on mass instead of surface area, what is also unlike any friction we know :squirrel:
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Online Now