Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #21

Dinosawer wrote:It's when they pretend to be physically correct but fail that I'm annoyed (like when they invent a heap of sciency mumbo jumbo to "explain" why everything is still in our universe)
I much prefer it when it's deliberately and obviously complete nonsense ("these boosters are powered by disappointment").

That way you can still have a fuel source while being actively encouraged not to think about how it works.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

I admit that I've only been following along loosely from the confines of YouTube until now, but has Josh claimed that LT is based in our universe? I mean, OK, it is, and always has been, both an homage to and spiritual sequel/knockoff to Freelancer which was, ostensibly, set in our universe (even if only via its backstory), but Freelancer was submarines-in-space (right down to ships having drag coefficients).

Taking a look around, we seem to be talking about a universe that considers a speed of 9 km/s as being "extreme", so, like, you know... Not our universe.
Chan.JENI
You’ve found our frequency,
Now check out our data mine!

Jafo Entertainment & News, Inc.
Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

Kichae Chandramani wrote:I admit that I've only been following along loosely from the confines of YouTube until now, but has Josh claimed that LT is based in our universe? I mean, OK, it is, and always has been, both an homage to and spiritual sequel/knockoff to Freelancer which was, ostensibly, set in our universe (even if only via its backstory), but Freelancer was submarines-in-space (right down to ships having drag coefficients).

Taking a look around, we seem to be talking about a universe that considers a speed of 9 km/s as being "extreme", so, like, you know... Not our universe.
I wasn't referring to LT when I said that. :)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Ah. It's been a long thread. I must have gotten confused in the infodump. Me noggin' ain't absorbin' the screen scribbles as effectively as it could!
Chan.JENI

Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

Some things off the top of my head that happen in LT (as far as we think we know today) that don't happen in our reality:
  • Star systems are infinite but bounded pockets of normal-looking reality that are discontinuously connected to each other only by wormholes.
  • Space has "drag." Speed is capped, and without continuous thrust, spaceships will come to rest with respect to the primary star.
  • Spaceships can use wormholes to travel almost instantly between star systems.
  • Planets don't orbit stars. They're fixed in space. (So are asteroid fields.)
  • Planets don't rotate.
  • "Warp rails" can move ships relatively quickly along lines of force, whose power is drawn from otherwise undetectable energy in local space.
I think my feeling is that if one can tolerate those perversions of the physics we know, other "unrealistic" in-game effects should also be tolerable as long as they're all internally consistent with the needs of the game.

Kichae Chandramani wrote:Ah. It's been a long thread. I must have gotten confused in the infodump. Me noggin' ain't absorbin' the screen scribbles as effectively as it could!
Welcome Kichae :wave: Presumably from the Infinity forums? It nice to have (another?) resident physics expert among us :thumbup:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Flatfingers wrote:(So are asteroid fields.)
Asteroid fields exist. Outside of small pockets of relative stability (think the Greeks and Trojans in Jupiter's orbit), asteroid fields are unstable in our universe, and will coalesce, be strung out into a ring or along an orbit, or disperse entirely.
JoshParnell wrote:Welcome Kichae :wave: Presumably from the Infinity forums? It nice to have (another?) resident physics expert among us :thumbup:
Well, from in behind Mr. Jafo's dumpster's dumpster's dumpster, but yes. :wave: It's been nice to see your progress!
Chan.JENI

Scytale wrote:He wasn't saying they don't exist, he was saying that in LT they'd be static in space and (by implication) that they were filled with static asteroids.
Correct.

And even objects at the various Langrangian points still move in various ways. To the best of my knowledge, no space-based object in Limit Theory that's bigger than a spaceship will move at all relative to the central star. (There's been some talk on the forum about faction-built space stations being able to move, but I don't recall if that's ever been confirmed.)
Scytale wrote:Maybe we can handwave and say the fields we see are Trojans?
I wouldn't. To me, that would be bringing in real-world physics where it doesn't make sense because there's no gravity in LT. (Hmm. I pretty much could have just said "no gravity in LT" instead of three or four of my bullet points above, couldn't I?)

Something closer to LT physics might be that planets coalesced out of a protoplanetary disk and were pushed into a sphere by the omnipresent (conjectured) aether, and that asteroid fields are simply as-yet-unformed planets. This "explanation" is consistent with drag and immobile large bodies (or at least apparently immobile to anything but geologic time scales) in star systems.

It doesn't explain asteroid fields that exist as rings around planets... but maybe those were just Josh showing off what the "zone" technology could do, and the new planetary rings shown in Video Update #21 are what will appear in the game?

No, I was saying that "asteroid fields exist" in Limit Theory is one of the ways that physics is different in the game's universe from our own. *I* am saying they don't exist.
Chan.JENI

Kichae Chandramani wrote:No, I was saying that "asteroid fields exist" in Limit Theory is one of the ways that physics is different in the game's universe from our own. *I* am saying they don't exist.
Ah, that does make more sense. I was confused by your succinctness. :)

Large-scale physics gets odd without gravity. Nothing like two-body L4/L5 points means that some other explanation is needed to explain how semi-circular fields of densely-packed asteroids could exist in LT.

Hence the "aether that pushes large masses together" notion, although even that's got some weirdness baked into it. Such as, how does the aether "know" how to push planet-sized masses together into local accumulations, rather than just shoving every bit of matter into a single accumulation point?

ThymineC could answer that one, I'll bet....

Kichae Chandramani wrote:No, I was saying that "asteroid fields exist" in Limit Theory is one of the ways that physics is different in the game's universe from our own. *I* am saying they don't exist.
Thanks for clarification.

Flat, if the mood strikes you would you convince me of no gravity in LT? I still think an aether with non-Newtonian viscosity could allow for masses like planets to remain essentially stationary.

I recall Dinosawer mentioning gravity existing but only as a short-range force...

Online Now