Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #21

Dinosawer wrote:
Cha0zz wrote:For what it's worth, H-drive tech isn't in an alternate Universe but it is partially based on real physics and could be seen as a far future tech.
Well, ...
No, not really, actually. :geek:
Don't get me wrong, I never said that I support it's theoretical possibilities (I don't, they're wrong), I only mean that that was the way ThymineC intended it.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:
Cha0zz wrote:For what it's worth, H-drive tech isn't in an alternate Universe but it is partially based on real physics and could be seen as a far future tech.
Well, ...
No, not really, actually. :geek:
we had tons of discussion regarding this, and it was a yes with the caveeat "assume we can manipulate propablility distributions"
In other words, no, because that breaks a slew of fundamental physical laws (conservation of energy, momentum and probability, to name a few)
I was explaining this to thyminec, but then he disappeared. :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote: In other words, no, because that breaks a slew of fundamental physical laws (conservation of energy, momentum and probability, to name a few)
I was explaining this to thyminec, but then he disappeared. :ghost:
why should the H-Drive violate conservation of momentum?

the ship isnt actually moving when using it.

and conservation of energy can as well be fulfilled with the energy needs of the drive ;)

and i dont know about conservation of probability, so i cant tell anything about that

Because of Noether's theorem, conservation of energy and momentum stems from the fact that physical laws are invariant under spacial translation and inversion of time. The h-drive apparently operated by modifying laws of physics in a certain place which breaks that invariance.

Furthermore, "modifying the probability function" makes no quantummechanical sense whatsoever and is just a fancy way of saying "magic". :roll:

Dinosawer wrote:Because of Noether's theorem, conservation of energy and momentum stems from the fact that physical laws are invariant under spacial translation and inversion of time. The h-drive apparently operated by modifying laws of physics in a certain place which breaks that invariance.
wouldnt the theorem actually break down under this conditions?

"as long as you dont change the laws of physics this applies"

and the H-Drive manipulates laws of physics in its influence sphere, so noethers theorem wouldnt apply anymore

or do i have an error in thought here? :think:

also: where does the H-Drive anything different than a spatial translation?
the whole principle of it is that it only does spatial translations.
Dinosawer wrote: Furthermore, "modifying the probability function" makes no quantummechanical sense whatsoever and is just a fancy way of saying "magic". :roll:
cant argue with that :lol:

That's indeed the problem, if the theorem breaks conservation of those things no longer is the case. Which means you could create infinite energy in such a case if you were creative enough. (Which is a very big "nope" in physics)
And "the laws of physics are the same everywhere" is a physical law (by Einstein, to be exact).

It also does a temporal thing, since it doesn't work all the time.

Dinosawer wrote:That's indeed the problem, if the theorem breaks conservation of those things no longer is the case. Which means you could create infinite energy in such a case if you were creative enough. (Which is a very big "nope" in physics)
And "the laws of physics are the same everywhere" is a physical law (by Einstein, to be exact).

It also does a temporal thing, since it doesn't work all the time.

well, there we are back at magic :lol:

the whole thing was built on the idea that this instantaneous translation is possible.
which is impossible according to our known laws of physics.

so word it differently: its close enough to common knowledge of physics that the all terrain suspension of disbelieve can kick in :P

Cha0zz wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Sadly that's not how it works with me. I blame my education :lol:
I know, same for me, I also had plenty of discussions with ThymineC about the possibility of his idea.

On another note, I see you're studying Physics and astronomy in Belgium, could it be that you're studying at UGent?
Indeed! (It's the only place they have that I think)

Online Now