Return to “Announcements”

Re: Shifting the Release Date to Early 2015

Nothing new here. Could see this coming back in May. Not trying to to be negative but I honestly believe we won't be seeing LT 1.00 until late 2015 or 2016

A comment on the Update 18 vid pretty much describes how I feel.

"As a senior software engineer i will tell you 2 things:
1) You have talents and good will.
2) Your ambitions are too high, your visions too complex. You will never finish this game early next year. Sorry but you will fail because in the details of a product lies the most work. You are obviously underestimating this."

But to be clear I do see this game eventually getting released and I do believe that it will be groundbreaking.

joker wrote:Nothing new here. Could see this coming back in May. Not trying to to be negative but I honestly believe we won't be seeing LT 1.00 until late 2015 or 2016

2) Your ambitions are too high, your visions too complex. You will never finish this game early next year. Sorry but you will fail because in the details of a product lies the most work. You are obviously underestimating this."

But to be clear I do see this game eventually getting released and I do believe that it will be groundbreaking.
I think at some point Josh will be moving some features from LT 1.0 to post release additions. It has already started with planetary ownership and I am sure there are other features already being moved out that we don't know about yet.

He may need to start focusing on certain areas only and worry about the other stuff if times allows. The basics of the game need to be finished first. (the AI, basic functions and the UI). He needs to worry less about tweaking small graphical details.

It would be nice if everything can all at once be added and released in perfect condition, this may be unrealistic for a one man team. (how many people are going to keep following this game for 2 or 3 more years? I am sure some people would, but lets be realistic here)
My Signature
Re: Shifting the Release Date to Early 2015.

Skyfligher wrote:
Vartul wrote:Are the closed beta participants allowed to post videos?
He didn't seem to have any issues with the prototype videos that I put out so I wouldn't think that there will be restrictions, but in the end that's Josh's decision. If there are no issues with it You can expect many from me! :D
Alright then, 1050 more channels to subscribe to on youtube. :D

Zanteogo wrote:
Spoiler:      SHOW
joker wrote:Nothing new here. Could see this coming back in May. Not trying to to be negative but I honestly believe we won't be seeing LT 1.00 until late 2015 or 2016

I think at some point Josh will be moving some features from LT 1.0 to post release additions. It has already started with planetary ownership and I am sure there are other features already being moved out that we don't know about yet.

He may need to start focusing on certain areas only and worry about the other stuff if times allows. The basics of the game need to be finished first. (the AI, basic functions and the UI). He needs to worry less about tweaking small graphical details.

It would be nice if everything can all at once be added and released in perfect condition, this may be unrealistic for a one man team. (how many people are going to keep following this game for 2 or 3 more years? I am sure some people would, but lets be realistic here)
Actually, a lot of the expensive stretch goals have always been slated for implementation in post-release updates.

From the Kickstarter:
JoshParnell wrote:Concerning Stretch Goals Above $100K

I've made the decision that stretch goals above $100K, starting with planetary ownership, will be realized as free, post-release content updates. Why? As you can see, there's quite a bit of functionality slated for the base game. As we start to pile on more functionality, it will obviously take more development time to complete. Instead of delaying the release, I'd like to just put the basic game in your hands, and then augment it with free, post-release updates to give you the stretch goal content.

Now, that doesn't exactly preclude the possibility of having these features in the first release - it just means that I won't promise that they'll ship with the game. If I do end up having more development time than anticipated, of course I'll try to put as much as possible in the initial release. But what I will promise is that you'll get the content, and you'll get it for free if you purchase the game!
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Zanteogo wrote:
This is really true - the graphics do look awesome as it is right now - so beside the obviously unfinsihed Parts (Zone view from a far, Planets, more Algorithms for diversity) i totaly agree that this shouldnt be a focus (anymore) right now :)

And Josh, if you should run out of money, be assured that there are many people around who would love to join or increase their pledge, and be it to allow you to go on a LONG vacation (at least 6 months :P ) after Release and Initial Polishing/Bug Patches ;) YOu shouldnt sacrifice all of your Private live for such a Project this isnt healthy :) And a not Healthy Josh is a less Productive Josh and this makes a less Good LT :)

How about taking at least one day a week off? It would only reduce your productivity by 14% (which means 1 or 2 more MOnths of development time at max, most likely much less as you wont be that exhausted :)

I am talking from own expierience that a bad day/night cicle and a bad work/life balance can drag you down all the way to the bottom - and worst you often dont notice the declien until you crashed on the floor.

Soranya wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:
This is really true - the graphics do look awesome as it is right now - so beside the obviously unfinsihed Parts (Zone view from a far, Planets, more Algorithms for diversity) i totaly agree that this shouldnt be a focus (anymore) right now :)

And Josh, if you should run out of money, be assured that there are many people around who would love to join or increase their pledge, and be it to allow you to go on a LONG vacation (at least 6 months :P ) after Release and Initial Polishing/Bug Patches ;) YOu shouldnt sacrifice all of your Private live for such a Project this isnt healthy :) And a not Healthy Josh is a less Productive Josh and this makes a less Good LT :)

How about taking at least one day a week off? It would only reduce your productivity by 14% (which means 1 or 2 more MOnths of development time at max, most likely much less as you wont be that exhausted :)

I am talking from own expierience that a bad day/night cicle and a bad work/life balance can drag you down all the way to the bottom - and worst you often dont notice the declien until you crashed on the floor.
At Josh's last mention of finances, he is in no danger of running out of funds.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

As much as the delay doesn't really bother me there does need to be a firm line in the sand date. The issue here is that this could drift and drift and drift without ever reaching an end point. The latest Dev video had an example. First it was no modding, then maybe a little and now it's going to feature loads of modding. This all takes time and adds to the development time. I'm a big fan of LT and Josh but he needs to be careful in my opinion. He needs to put a firm "This is in the game" and "This is not in the game" brief down and stick to it. My concern is that it was modding this month, next month it could be "Well I'll just add in planetary landings" or "I'll just do cockpits after all". I don't mean to be flippant or negative but I worry that without a clear end date this could slip further.

Philip Coutts wrote:My concern is that it was modding this month, next month it could be "Well I'll just add in planetary landings" or "I'll just do cockpits after all".
Not that it's likely to happen, Philip, but I'd say "please, yes please" to both of the above. Even if it required another revision to the release date.

But I do understand your well made point. ;) :)

Victor Tombs wrote:
Philip Coutts wrote:My concern is that it was modding this month, next month it could be "Well I'll just add in planetary landings" or "I'll just do cockpits after all".
Not that it's likely to happen, Philip, but I'd say "please, yes please" to both of the above. Even if it required another revision to the release date.

But I do understand your well made point. ;) :)
I would love both of those things as well :D

But I think they may be something for Limit Theory 2 : Beyond the Theory ;)

Online Now