Return to “Announcements”

Re: Shifting the Release Date to Early 2015.

I won't lie, I am a little disappointed, but I also completely understand the reasoning. I am not trying to be negative but here's a couple of points I've been mulling over:

1. Be careful that there is an end. That sounds silly right? What I mean is it would be very easy to keep aiming for absolute perfection and keep delaying the release for just one more month because there is something that just has to be added. I want LT to be the best it possibly can be but remember there is always LT2 ;)

2. If I'd known that the game wasn't going to be released until 2015 I would have been more inclined to back at a higher level to get Beta access. (Deep breath :wtf: ) I know additional or continued funding has been discussed many times but I'm going to open the can of worms and spill them everywhere again. I for one would love to up my pledge to gain Beta access. Now I know there will be a whole lot of work making that happen and I respect that LT hasn't continued to take pledges after the KS but would you consider allowing existing backers to upgrade their pledge to Beta? That would soften the blow of having to wait until 2015 to get my hands on this beautiful little minx of a game!

Anyway the game continues to look and sound excellent. My final piece of advice is to quit slacking and work more, sleep less........ :lol:

Philip Coutts wrote:I won't lie, I am a little disappointed, but I also completely understand the reasoning.

2. If I'd known that the game wasn't going to be released until 2015 I would have been more inclined to back at a higher level to get Beta access. (Deep breath :wtf: ) I know additional or continued funding has been discussed many times but I'm going to open the can of worms and spill them everywhere again. I for one would love to up my pledge to gain Beta access. Now I know there will be a whole lot of work making that happen and I respect that LT hasn't continued to take pledges after the KS but would you consider allowing existing backers to upgrade their pledge to Beta? That would soften the blow of having to wait until 2015 to get my hands on this beautiful little minx of a game!
Thank you for opening the can for me. This is exactly how I feel.

Opening beta access at this point says that you don't care about the promises you've made to your beta backers. Accepting money for it also says you're not very trustworthy. Didn't you get enough in the first place? What were the stretch goals for if you needed more money than you asked for? The list of questions an issues goes on.

Based on these simplified angles, don't expect to see beta access if you don't have it coming already.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:Opening beta access at this point says that you don't care about the promises you've made to your beta backers. Accepting money for it also says you're not very trustworthy. Didn't you get enough in the first place? What were the stretch goals for if you needed more money than you asked for? The list of questions an issues goes on.

Based on these simplified angles, don't expect to see beta access if you don't have it coming already.
Based on other angle of view, is it more important to not disappoint early backer for a non logical reason (because Josh can offer the beta access at the same price that you pay for), or have more money, more beta tester and a more polished product?

Egosoft with X:Rebirth was wrong in the development because they operate just what always they do with the devnet, a wrong choice, they needed more people involved in testing the game.

So, what's more important for you?Having a good game or make happy 800-900 elitist backers?

As I say I really respect the fact that LT hasn't opened up any kind of store to continue selling LT. But the delays are frustrating for backers. I understand the reasoning and I appreciate that we are going to get a better game at the end of it all but as I have also said if when I backed the KS I'd known it would be 2015 before I could play I would have scraped together the cash for Beta during the KS. Ultimately Josh has spent a huge amount of time and energy making LT and I for one would like to see him reap some financial rewards for his hard work. I know a beta access upgrade is unlikely to happen but there's no harm in asking :D .

Also I don't know another KS project that has stopped the funding completely after the KS has finished so I don't think it's fair to say they are all untrustworthy.

Panda Vassili wrote:Based on other angle of view, is it more important to not disappoint early backer for a non logical reason (because Josh can offer the beta access at the same price that you pay for), or have more money, more beta tester and a more polished product?

Egosoft with X:Rebirth was wrong in the development because they operate just what always they do with the devnet, a wrong choice, they needed more people involved in testing the game.

So, what's more important for you?Having a good game or make happy 800-900 elitist backers?
Why are those exclusive?

There's about 1050 or so eligible kickstarter pledges for beta access. Pretty quickly people are experiencing the same issues as other people in a redundant fashion so selling more beta access and possibly doubling this number isn't going to give you twice as much polish. Large numbers are used for stress testing networked games, you can target specific hardware setups to get actual bugs ironed out quite nicely with a pool of 1050. Time is the premium currently, sending Josh money won't give him more time.
Katorone wrote:Meaning Elite & Star Citizen are untrustworthy projects? :D :monkey:
Start Citizen at least, I don't know anything about ED.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katorone wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:
Katawa wrote:don't expect to see beta access if you don't have it coming already.
That just about says it all, Katawa.
Meaning Elite & Star Citizen are untrustworthy projects? :D :monkey:
Early morning posting is rarely a good idea, Katorone. ;) I've amended my quote. :)

As to the trustworthiness or otherwise of the Elite:Dangerous & Star Citizen campaigns, I still get the exclusive I was promised at my level of backing with Elite:Dangerous which is not available to anyone who signed up after the KS completed. Frontier never promised exclusivity for Alpha or Betas. Whereas, Josh most assuredly did:
Be the first to explore the infinite expanse of the Limit Theory universe(s). You'll get access to a closed BETA well before the game's official release.

And that's just what Josh will deliver, a closed BETA. He did precisely the same with the Prototype.

As to the question of Star Citizen the waters are a little murky. Technically, I was never a part of their KS as all my transactions were through the RSI site. :)
Last edited by Victor Tombs on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeye. Late 2014, mid 2015, early 2016.
This is good news, as personally I think im more in it for the development update videos at this point anyway, than the actual game.
Just wish they`d come twice a month, keep the excitement at bay :D
More monthly updates everyone. wooohooo.

Well, that was partly a joke.
But lets keep it positive, Josh is a stand up guy, he will deliver the goods. our job now is to make sure he doesnt go all asberger on us and locks himself in his code-cave forever.

"yea so i need to implement the...something advanced mathy stuff in the...algorithm....in that there codeplace...line"
"But josh its 2022, its about time"
"yea but the black holes a placeholder, im working on some advanced infra-structure...algorithm tek, that will make everything very shiny, youll see"
"Oh josh, you silly thing you, tee hee"

and alla that.

Soranya wrote:And as we all can exactly follow the progress on the game with the Devlogs we actually do know the reasons and see how much is still missing and that you non the less work full time on the game. This is so much better then 99.99% of the other Gamedevs (be it studios or small Indies).
Its like watching a flexible countdown - this is just ultra satisfying and transparent. I really do enjoy reading you daily updates.
I agree with everything you said. Welcome to the forums! :) Hope to be seeing more of you.
Flatfingers wrote:No worries here, Josh.

Thanks for making sure it gets done right.
^--- this...
Victor Tombs wrote:It would be nice to see some answers to a few pertinent questions that have been raised on the forums. Especially now you have awarded yourself the luxury of all this extra time.
^--- This *cough civiliansandpareidolicicons cough*
Vartul wrote:P.S.: Josh, stop loitering around the forums. Go play Skyrim or something. :lol:
^--- Lmao, this.
Groufac wrote:On the other side, the shift of the release date means an additionnal dose of your dev logs to read so I think that's not too bad :D
Heh heh heh, this too. ;) XD
Victor Tombs wrote:
Katawa wrote:...don't expect to see beta access if you don't have it coming already.
That just about says it all, Katawa.
Aye, if you think it killing Mr. Parnell to have to announce another delay smacks of idealism, you should get a pretty good idea on whether or not he'll reopen funding.

I do personally hope that if he does run low on funds, though, he'll manage to swallow his pride and ask. I know everyone here would jump behind him in a heartbeat to support him. All he really has to do is ask. I have a feeling we wouldn't only forgive him for it - we'd probably be proud of him too. :P (It wouldn't mean beta access for anyone new, though.)

ON THAT NOTE. It isn't all just idealism. Mr. Parnell has stated a good number of times that he feels his life is slipping away while he works on LT, and that he feels like it's been "put on hold" for two years now. here, for instance.
Victor Tombs wrote:And that's just what Josh will deliver, a closed BETA. He did precisely the same with the Prototype.
That's not going to stop me from drinking in every post on the beta forums I can find. :D
Last edited by Talvieno on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

AS long as you keep doing all the daily and monthly logs I'm fine... from month to month one can see the incredible progress of LT.
Every sane person can see this and await the release... and every insane... well they might be insane thanks to LT's quality :ghost:

Don't try to squeeze every and each idea into LT1 though... there'll be enough time for more features and improvements when it is released.
For now I second this decision, it looks awesome but playing should be fun, interesting, lots to see and to do.
It will take some more time. Why not.

Online Now